[FOG] FANTOM

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Oracle-FOG, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Oracle-FOG

• Up x 2
  2. gigastar

Its spelled "Phantom".
  3. Iridar51

So awesome! Too bad those who don't speak Russian won't understand what this video is about, neither will those who don't know what the song is about.
    • Up x 2
  4. Zombekas

It's "Фантом". In latin chatacters it's "Fantom"
  5. Canaris

I don't get it... so the cops knew that internal affairs were setting them up!?!
  6. Codex561

Beginning was a bit confusing but except that well done!
  7. Iridar51

No, it's absolutely not about that :)

The song is sung on behalf of the american pilot of one of the F-4D Phantom Jets during the Vietnam war:
    [IMG]
    It tells about an air battle, in which the pilot was shot down and had to eject. Upon landing he was captured by vietcong soldiers and brought to interrogation. The pilot asked: "who shot me down?", and the vietnamese said: "our pilot Lee Si Cin", and the pilot says: "nope, I clearly heard russian radio chatter, russian ace Ivan shot me down".

See, there was a "myth" that USSR pilots assisted Vietnam during the war. The funniest thing is that Lee Si Cin actually sounds very close to "Lisicyn", which is a russian last name, derived from the word "lis", or "lisa", which means "fox". So cheeky vietnamese were half telling the truth, but the american pilot couldn't tell the difference.

And the video footage goes hand in hand with the song's lyrics. But really, the video is on the very small intersection of the cultures, to understand what's going on you have to know russian, know what the song is about, and obviously know what PS2 is.
    I'd doubt anyone besides me and - probably - vsae, understood full meaning of the video :)