to Lash or not to Lash

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Plunutsud pls, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Plunutsud pls

So the Lasher is on sale today.

Convince me to buy it.

What's it even good for?

p.s. I will not be using it in a squad with other Lashers, so don't show me that famous laser show vid pls kthx.
  2. Vikingo

Trying to take a biolab from a bunch of lasher spamming spandex cultists is about as frustrating as trying to storm a biolab full of Scatmaxes.

But if you are the asocial lone wolf type then I guess there is no point in buying it.
    • Up x 8
  3. RomulusX

• Up x 2
  4. Idle

Have you every tried to push up a hill under fire(Howling Pass comes to mind.) Well nothing keeps that nest of enemies pinned down like a lasher, letting you push up.

Its also great if you flank a turtled enemy all grouped up and find a nice vantage point then start your strafing and profit. You wont use it a lot but its a fun weapon to have.

If your on a point and others are around find a backseat and shot over them or down the stairs to mess up rushes on point. Its not the best 1 v 1 weapon but you can win some fights with it, best at med range and if they try and duck behind cover well you kill them with splash.

Its like lolpods and Lib gunning in the right environment it racks up good kill streaks in the wrong you die quick.
    • Up x 1
  5. Wyll

When used right, it is effective. I know I groan when I see those comets coming toward me.
  6. FieldMarshall

I found it really amazing when defending down stairs of towers and in biolabs. Anywhere chokepoints exists really.
    Think of it like a mini grenade launcher without drop.

To Lash or not to Lash. In ~25mins this video will probably have the answer for you.

12:14 if you want to skip to the stuff most relevant to your question.

Edit: I really with the Lasher orbs would actually lash like in Planetside 1.
    As it is now, they just explode. They should call it the Exploder...
    Atleast in PS1 it was useful 1v1, thanks to missed shots "lashing" out to nearby targets (at reduced damage ofc.)
    • Up x 5
  7. Okaydan

I am afraid I cannot convince you to buy it. I bought it with SC for 700, and I'm still wondering why. The word 'regret' comes to mind. Though I have never given this weapon a real serious try (I don't think I made it to gold medal), let's see my stats:

34% accuracy
    1,316 hits
    71 kills

To compare with the Eridani, which I dislike a LOT too:
    34% accuracy
    1,335 hits
    129 kills

I know these stats are not representative, but they tell me something... The Lasher has quite a few issues that come to mind:

- Friendly Fire
    - Self Fire/Suicide when firing point blanc targets
    - Bullets hitting cover and then hitting yourself (where normal bullets would not have hit cover)
    - Low velocity makes it poor at range
    - Splash damage is too low and too small

Good things:

- For it's purpose it has nice mag size
    - Also decent ROF
    - It's unique and niche
    - It has quite high damage on hit
    - Accuracy and recoil are high and respectively low

TL;DR It's highly situational and even in it's niche mediocre at best. Don't waste money on it as it is.
    • Up x 2
  8. Cinnamon

Lasher is like the infantry version of the duster.
    • Up x 1
  9. RomulusX

It's not great, but it's fun. Get it for the fun factor!
    • Up x 2
  10. Linedan

It is the best man-portable suppression weapon in the game. Don't expect to get huge kills with it but nothing is better for pinning down enemies or controlling a piece of ground.
    • Up x 3
  11. Cyridius

To lash, or not to lash: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The friendly fire and teamkilling of Vanu,
    Or to take arms against a sea of purple,
    And by teamkilling end them?
    • Up x 13
  12. FadeBait

I auraxiumed mine, but it was painful and I pretty much haven't touched it since. However here's a few pros/cons for lasher use:

Bad points:
    • Every time you die using the lasher about 20% of the damage will be self-inflicted from the lasher orbs.
    • Lasher TTK is horrendous. Without the element of surprise, you'll lose pretty much every 1-on-1. If you care about your K/D ratio, don't bother with one.
    • You'll even lose 1-on-1 fights with infiltrators using knives, because of said self-inflicted damage and low TTK. Get a good sidearm. You'll need for close-up fights.
    • When you fire it up, every enemy in the immediate vicinity will target your position - nothing says "Over here - shoot me" like lasher spam
    • When you fire it up, every friendly in the immediate vicinity will walk in front of you. 'cos they're idiots. Chance of weapons lock is VERY high.
    • You can't scare off aircraft or harrassers with lasher spam - its not that kind of damage.
    • You won't get that many kills, but a LOT of assist XP.
    Good points
    • In a very smaller number of cases - top of the stairs in a tower, holding a corridor, above a spawnpoint - the lasher is absolutely hilarious. Watching NC & TR run around like headless chickens while you spam their hiding places is awesome. It almost makes up for the pain in using it.
    TL-DR - get height, distance, cover and company. With these the lasher can be fun!
    • Up x 2
  13. Maelthra

Subterranean Nanite Analysis. Oh, and Biolabs.

That's about it.
  14. Tito

best for biolabs defenders

best for doors if you defend or atack
  15. Turkeys!

Suicide crashing into large clumps of enemies from an unguarded flank. You don't even have to ADS in small rooms. Use a forward grip for some improved accuracy at range. As said before, try to gain height advantage as much as possible if using it.
  16. Plunutsud pls

So I trialed it first and found it pretty ineffective but incredibly fun to use.

Killed a few folks indoors and of course a friendly who was in the way.

Since I play for fun, I went and bought the gun.

Bye bye kdr!
    • Up x 1
  17. PurpleBeefer

i bought it, never looked back. i play for fun, though luckily i havent been wep locked yet. but i have lost some 1v1's with this darn gun. though i have slaughtered clumps of enemies
  18. sindz

DONT ever buy this weapon, its trash.

There are no chokepoints in ps2, and there are tons of ways to break a base so if you lash away you are a sitting duck and you die 10 out of 10 times when an infil or LA drops by.

ITs the worst weapon ingame tied with Corvus.
    • Up x 2
  19. SanPelicano

I usually use it in solo. I never regretted that I bought it for SC.

What kind of rumor is this? I have 780 kills with it and 0.37 KPM also Im a solo lasher user. Which is not sooooo bad.

As I think, you have never used it correctly. In close combat ( <5m ) I use knife. 2-3 direct hitting orbs and a knife hit can kill an infiltrator and I dont forget to turn on my OP, instant +1000 hp ability.

Keep in mind you have to 57 shots to kill yourself and more than 100 in flak armor, without using any HA ability. So you have to play very poorly to die because of your selfdamage.

You can lose 1v1 fights even with jachammer against knives using infil. If you remain stationary or you have no situational awareness you deserve to die Backstabs are OP.

DONT BE STATIONARY....and everything will be O.K.

Here is a video I like it. His playingstyle is the same as mine :)
    • Up x 2
  20. Elrobochanco

Everyone has covered it mostly. It's super niche, but extremely unique. If you have any place where you know where the enemy is coming from that you can fire a long distance "near" their point of travel it can be very good. Or any places where enemies are tightly packed.

Obvious places, all doorways, biolabs, scrubbing a jumppad as enemies mass jump over, concing/hosing max crashes, shooting down the stairwell in towers, any elevated position from 100+ meters. Any places where you might have a saturation of bodies but no specifically good shots.

If you expect to always kill scores with it, you will be disappointed. If you sometimes think, "man I wish I had a firehose instead of a rifle", well now you can.

edit:
    Is 100% wrong, on both guns.
    • Up x 2