Too many tanks

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Agrajag, Jul 6, 2014.

1. MadMelon

Infantry eat the same amount of tanks as breakfast. It's kinda weird when vehicles meant to kill/suppress infantry have to avoid them. In order to not get killed tanks have to stay at a safe distance and shell buildings or spawn rooms. But that's not the point.

The real problem is that usually defenders are massively overpopped by the attackers with infantry tanks and aircrafts but people blame vehicles which barely interact with infantry in most bases for losing a base.
    I have to admit that I don't know every base on Hossin yet, but in most situation when I have to defend a base in ps2 which is surrounded by tanks I think:
    "Who cares...vehicles can't capture bases....vehicles can't hurt me inside buildings (where the most capture points are)
    If everyone would leave his vehicle and fight u on the capture point u would be in bigger trouble.

Light ppa and Pre nerf he prowlers that are things I had to fear
    • Up x 1
  2. ronjahn

You are looking at it to narrowly. Yes you can fall back and replicate the issue, and personally I think in many situations you should because APAP tanks are the best counter to other tanks, however that is not your only option.

The problem lies with way to many people not understanding that even though the timer says 2-3 minutes, if there are 20 tanks shooting at your spawn, the base is captured. If you want to do something about that, 99% of the time it will not involve running out of the spawn doors to be farmed.

You say it's a "rut," but couldn't it also be looked at as dynamic gameplay? I can think of plenty of ways to counter a camping tank zerg without pulling more tanks.

Some of the most fun I have had in game involved setting up Sunderers on the outer flanks of enemy tank zergs and getting as many people as possible to spawn AV, whether it be turrets or rockets. Even a 2-3 person squad can convince an entire pub platoon to use their Sunderer to great effect with enough motivation in /region chat.

I have also flown galaxies full of LA's with c4 over tank zergs and just started dropping them. You'd be surprised how quickly you can thin out a zerg and how much fun the squad will have dropping from the ceiling to blow things up.

The bigger, dumber, and campier the tank zerg, the easier these flanking strategies tend to work out.
    • Up x 3
  3. Rift23

I saw them go mass MAX/prowler plenty of times, but yes, tank zergs are only scary until they hit an outfit organized to deal with them, then they start losing steam with each 2-3 tanks that get blown up to focus fire/flanking.
    • Up x 1
  4. Matt0193

The issue is largely down to people being too afraid of dying or simply being too covetous of their KDR as it is. Say the base is 33/66%, maybe 16% of that 33% are actually pushing out of the spawn and not sat on an Inf with a Sniper looking to try and pick off people. It's sad, really.
  5. MadMelon

I disagree a small group of infantry working together can easily wreck a bigger amount of tanks. They have enough tools for that are agile and can respawn.
    People are complaining that they can't kill all the tanks out of the spawn room and are not willing to redeploy to the next base to fight the tanks from a better location. Yes and sometimes it doesn't work but if that's the case u were massively underpooped and had no chance to defend the base at all.
  6. Icedude94

A small group of people focused on one role like anti-armor can make a big difference.

I once had a squad of 8 people. Our side was attacking Crimsom Bluff tower from the south. In anticipation of a VS armored counterattack, I positioned all my guys with AV mana turrets on the west side of NS Material base, covering the east side of the hill to the east of Crimsom Bluff.

Sure enough, with 7 minutes left in the cap, the VS pulls tons of magriders and repair sunderers out the North side of the tower and tried going around the East hill to flank all our armor and kill the sunderers.

When you have 8 people with AV mana turrets, that means you pretty much insta-gib any vehicle you focus fire on.

Then we kept them bottlenecked on the road out of the base. They were actually trying to cram vehicles into the little garage to try to seek cover because they were losing sunderers to a single volley.

Rushing out of a spawn room in large numbers only works when your faction has a huge continent pop advantage. You really can't afford to pull people out of other fights to do that when it's even population. Stop whining and acting like that is the only location you can spawn at.

SOE gave you the ability to spawn lightnings at every base. You can't blame them if nobody uses it.
    • Up x 1
  7. DramaticExit

Tank mines in the water, tree-top C4 trips, AV MAX units... Take your pick. They're all insanely good options on Hossin.
  8. Munr

Typical forumside about the typical forumside. Seriously, ^this^ is no better than the OP.
  9. Tuco

You're outnumbered 3:1, you're outnumbered 3:1.

Did you guys think Hossin would magically balance fights?
  10. Tuco

Uh oh, 3 Liberators showed up.
  11. Tuco

You're outnumbered 3:1, you're outnumbered 3:1
    • Up x 1
  12. ComradeHavoc

Make it so tanks have an independent gunner/driver, and an optional commander, and there you go. What tankers wanted since beta.
  13. Tuco

You're outnumbered 30:10

10 tanks
    10 ESF
    10 infantry

Now it's

5 tanks (that can shoot better while on the move)
    10 ESF
    10 infantry

I don't see how this helps
  14. ComradeHavoc

Make tanks like tanks and AT like AT. Vehicles should dominate on open fields, and infantry should dominate bases.
  15. Keldrath

Because when I don't even have a chance, it doesn't feel fair. When a game isn't fair you tend to uninstall it.
  16. Tuco

PS1 tanks had better AoE.
  17. vincent-

Why should I let you come out with maxes just to mow down the line of people trying too TAKE your base. You want more fun how about actually getting a team together instead of playing rambo against our tanks. If you don't like that than call in air or your own armor.
  18. Rebornvanu

I know the problem, but I give you a really good advice on this. Learn to read the map properly. There are two situations:

1. the enemy has about 60-80% pop at this base
    2. the enemy have at least equal pop

The first situation is very clear, leave the base. If tanks shoot directly at the spawn exits, it makes no sense to be there.

The second situation you could think about redeploying to the nearest base and pull a sundy for a new spawn option or just try to C4 the tanks from behind. Maybe call some friends pull a galaxy and drop C4 from above. Espacially Hossin gives you a lot of options because of the trees and bushes.
  19. maudibe

It seems your talking about Hossin and i agree to some degree. There are not as many choice points to set up an AV mana turret and decimate tank coloums moving towards a base as there are too many trees in the way and too few plateaus to set up on. Since you always end up closer the tanks demolish the Av turrets and get right up on the base without being stopped unless met by another equally large armor coloum. Its also hard to work on them with planes becuase of the trees and lack of line of sight.
  20. Klypto

I am my own armor. More general experience with the Vanguard than any other NC. My opinion is from a tank drivers persspective on their ****** base design.