ES Pistols from 7/2 Testserver Patch

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Xebov, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Xebov

Now that we have the Empire Specific Guns back its time for some feedback.

TR:

The gun feels very stable and useable. The high RoF and Mag Size make it very forgiving if you miss some shots as it simply spits out alot of bullets like an SMG. I can guess this gun will be used by TR stalkers in different ways as it is very powerfull and useable.

NC:

The NC stick with there shotgun design and get a pistol that is very powerfull at close range. Its capable of 2-shot kills in closeup making it a pistol with a very shot TTK compared to other guns available.

VS:

Finally a burst pistol for VS. The Question is, why should i use it? Compared to the other Burst Pistols the dmg per Burst is the lowest. The Chargeup mechanic makes no sense as it can only fire 4 bullets when charged up but these 4 bullets can be fired in 2 bursts as well wich is faster. As far as i understand it the charge up will make noise so it is even less effective. In addition to that the charged up shot should be a 1shot kill if all 4 bullets go to the head, but it is not, there seems to be some odd calculation in it. Overall the gun feels weak and not realy worth using it over other options.
  2. Kanil

Let's counter the VS whine with some NC whine: There's basically no reason to use the MagScatter over a Commissioner or Underboss. It's TTK is only a few hundredths faster than the Underboss, and slower if the Underboss scores a headshot.
    • Up x 3
  3. Plunutsud pls

4. Plunutsud pls

VS got shafted again?

But of course our pistol gets no bullet drop, which is always the excuse for low damage output, right?

Pfffffffffffffft just give us a reskinned Desperado and take my money.
    • Up x 1
  5. Gemenai

I think this subject will getting delayed a few times more. No result seems to really satisfy everyone or at least represent a compromise everyone can live with.
    I mean why again weakest sidearm of all? Isn´t VS meant to be versatile, but in the midground of damage?
    Tell me if i´m wrong.

My bet this thing will get delayed again and is seen next time in the middle of august.
    Maybe i should just spend my certs instead of saving them, while anticipate the arrival of the new ES pistols.
  6. Mongychops

I am a little confused about the choice of 125 damage tier and 18 round mag for the charge up pistol. This gives it both less damage per second, and less damage per magazine, than the Repeater and Desperado. The 125 damage tier means that NW1 prevents a body shot knife using the charge up, so I'm not sure in what situation you are supposed to use the charge up.
    • Up x 1
  7. Plague Rat

TR definitely has the most well rounded of the pistols. It's simple to use, fairly easy to handle, recoil-wise, for pistol ranges, and even seems to beat out the NC mag-scatter on TTK potential since the latter isn't even capable of a point blank headshot kill.

However, the Mag-Scatter is in a pretty good place for a 2 round kill where it needs to be. It might actually be okay though it might like to see slightly less damage per shot for a slightly faster refire.

My biggest concern is with the VS pistol. I don't play VS but it just feels a little too awkward to have a charge up to basically do what the player can already do with it without the charge up mechanic via a bust fire double tap. Maybe I'm missing the selling point here and I'm definitely willing to allow for that but I think the concept needs to be re-imagined.

The burst fire primary is fine. VS don't have a burst fire yet, so I feel they should have one for that style of gameplay. But just because it's an ES weapon doesn't mean it really NEEDS to do anything special beyond that so long as it has it's quirks, at least that's my take-away after getting the Railjack as the NC ES, but I guess NC are far enough down the damage spectrum to need weird quirks to offset power.

Or maybe a better idea:
    I always envisioned VS weaponry to have an edge in prevision. Would it be at all possible to have the charge shot fire a single higher damage projectile, only with a different headshot multiplier? With the way values are applied to weapons would such a thing even be possible? A single high velocity high multiplier round would, I think at least, throw in a nice Risk vs Reward element to the weapon with the possibility to significantly shorten the TTK when opening with a well placed charged shot without having to try to force all four projectiles from the current burst hitting their mark. And if worked right a non-headshot wouldn't be significantly detrimental beyond the of ammo-efficiency due to the extra consumption for that shot.

My only real other idea for a unique VS pistol would be hit-scan persistent beam weapon with a fairly short, hard capped range, but I'm not sure how many people would want their stuff that quirky. But it would make for some sick warpgate raves.
  8. Antich

Why would anyone take a Mag-Scatter instead of a commissioner, that is the big question in all this. To compare the situation with the other shotguns: If you would have the option between a shotgun with 6 pellets with all the problems that brings in this game and the dmg decrease that SOE has in store for all shotguns(which is hilarious considering shotguns are already gimped at range cause of spread) and a slug ammo that has almost the same dmg but with 2x criticals instead of the shotgun lol ones and pinpoint accuracy which one would you choose (not to even talk about the "extended mag" of the commissioner)? The only reason why an infi(and only an infi) would pick a Mag-Scatter would be if it was silenced and it isn't.
    • Up x 1
  9. sindz

Great.

More charge up mechanics for VS. Atleast charge up mechanics isnt the worst POS ever invented...
  10. Plague Rat

I can't speak for everyone but why I'm personally going to use it is because it has a narrower spread than the NS baron shotgun, keeps it's damage up until 12m, which when combined with the narrow spread can still easily connect with all pellets at that range for roughly 600 damage per shot. I can easily 2 shot kill up to 12 meter regardless of headshots, making it almost preferable to just forgo any misguided attempts to do so and go for the body to maximize pellet contacts allowing more damage from snap shots, downing targets at a faster rate than a commissioner doing the same with less actual effort.

Oh and while it may have two less rounds in the mag it reloads in less than half the time, and that's a big seller for me. I find the reloads on revolvers verge on the intolerable. Case in point, the Mag-Scatter's long reload is shorter than the 1-3 round short reload from a commissioner.

EDIT: also you can currently equip a suppressor on it in test, and it definitely is having an impact on the damage ranges, so who knows what will happen in that department.
  11. Sparrow

I must say that Spiker in its current for on PTS is the best ES Vanu pistol, or at least it feels like it to me. Unfortunately I find the charge up thing rather useless, it could be interesting if I could charge up while cloaked but its not possible atm.

TR smg pistol feels a bit overpowered and I think every stalker infiltrator will use it.

NC shotgun - well its another shotgun. and I will probably rage every time someone kills me with it.

Here is an idea for the VS pistol: if you really want to keep that charge function, make it do damage over time. Initial dmg equal to 2 regular shots and the rest delivered over time. Even if it doesn't kill your target it will force him to fall back.
    Another option would be making the charged bullets stick to the ground and people creating a small area of effect damage. Imagine sticky lasher shots with over time effect. Something like the bio rifle from Unreal Tournament.
    • Up x 2
  12. TerrorScream

perhaps something completely different.

the charged shot does no damage, however it does an EMP effect to the target, striping the shields and blinding their hud for say 4-6 seconds. could be used for follow up grenades or to tap infiltrators/heavy's or to slip away while their vision is blury, balanced in the sense it only effects one target. striping heavy shields could lead to interesting teamwork options from infiltrator duo's
  13. Quiiliitiila

Yeah, the charge-up should be both able to be charged in cloak and something different than this four shot nonsense. Higby's idea of a shotgun-esq blast was even better than this.

Some better ideas:
    -AoE blast
    -DoT single target
    -AoE DoT
    -AoE bullet spray in a cone
    -AoE Delayed blast like a sticky grenade

So on and so forth… Don't know why we bother though, I doubt anything's being changed this time around…
  14. ironeddie

The VS pistol is the best VS pistol but that's not really saying much! As it stands I don't see why I would use the charge up. In the time it takes me to charge and fire I could have let off my 2 shots so four bullets anyway.

If it hit live today I'd use it over other VS pistols and NS ones because I can put a surpressor on it.

What happened to the suggestion that the charge would allow you to dump the entire clip in one go?
  15. NDroid

The Spiker seems very unfinished so I'm not sure about the final version but right now you can magdump it pretty quickly by spamming bursts although each one does low damage. I'm not sure how the TTK compares to other burstfire pistols, the Repeater seems quicker but less accurate for example.

The charge up is currently useless though, it's slow and provides no real benefit. Theoretically it should be enough to OHK with a headshot at point blank range but it doesn't happen for some reason. If it stays this way there will be no point in using the mechanic.

Personally I really wish the dev team would move away from charge up mechanics for VS weapons. The versatility is a good idea but it would work much better as a togglable secondary firing mode.
  16. NinjaTurtle

The VS charge up needs to dump the entire magazine or there is no point of it being there. The 4 burst charge is no faster than just double tapping from what I can tell

The NC pistol seems decent probably as good as it can be t this point without being OP or UP

The TR AMP is imo the best of the lot, it's almost like a 2nd primary and is very effective.
  17. Pikachu

The NC pistol can no longer headshot. :(
    • Up x 2
  18. Quiiliitiila

Two fully charged shots to the body and one uncharged to kill… Spiker's pretty good! /sarcasm.

Seriously. I hope this isn't even close to the final iteration of the Spiker, if it is… Well, SOE won't be getting my money.
  19. WeiJun

How about making the charged shot for the vs pistol fire like the saron that deals significant burst damage? Makes more sense 'condensing' the shots into one powerful bullet...
    • Up x 1
  20. Quiiliitiila

I wouldn't mind something like that. Perhaps like the old Saron, capable of 1-2 shot kills on infantry but with a charge. Or make it able to damage armor :p

SOOOOOO MANY cool ideas that SOE just ignored and gave us this garbage…
    • Up x 2