Are Harassers still worth certing into?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hip Russian Man, Jul 2, 2014.

1. MisterBond

Always only cert out vehicles -AFTER- you have certed out your classes

Vehicles are fun, but in no way do you get the cert return with them as you do spending certs into infantry stuff, given SoE's history of swinging the nerf stick/buff bat mercilessly and without reason
    • Up x 1
  2. Flickory

This vid was from a session from a week ago. The Harasser is still extremely viable in some situations, and I recommend anyone who finds the word 'fun' appealing to get into it.

Some points that I would consider:
    • You have to have a good driver, or be willing to die alot the first month until you get one up.
    • You are supposed to harrass, not go in rambo and get all the kills.
    • The Vulcan is actually pretty decent, had a buff in COF the other week to boot.
    • The driver can jump out and heal to give you massive amounts of hidden health.
    • You will flip for no reason.
    • One tank mine will destroy you.
    • Up x 1
  3. eggy

For fun and lols ? - Yes.

For combat effectiveness - No
    For earning you certs at decent rate compared to other activity - No

Sat in a field out in the middle of nowhere not taking all that much fire isn't exactly the role I saw for a vehicle called a Harasser that does in fact have the most top gun AV options of any vehicle in the game. Without the added air deterrent xp you get for just hitting air stuff, that would have been a pretty poor cert income for 4 minutes of play, even though it looked fun.

Harassment of ground vehicles that doesn't net a kill, just means you used ammo for no gain, on a vehicle that has a dedicated driver (so already reduced cert income), that's not combat effective.

Even with only 1 gunner, with the added option of 2 different guns to switch between and the fact you can stop and have the driver on a gun. The Sunderer is a much better choice for 2 people, only let down by its speed and maneuvering.
  4. Flickory

This vid was a fluke session, and was posted in this thread because I thought it was cool, and I didn't include the vehicles and infantry kills. I've got more footage for a few more videos actually doing damage to armour and infantry that I'll post on here once I have a more respectful archive.

The learning curve will deterr anyone who doesn't want to dedicate lots of time, blood and certs into it. But even if the Harrasser is only more viable than other vehicles very, very few situations, I would still reccommend it.
    • Up x 4
  5. Antich

To the OP i would say, better search for someone that certed their harasser before the nerfs and ask him to donate a few so you can try out for yourself a certed one. And if you still want to invest certs in them, more power to you, if not, i am sure from time to time you can find someone to spawn one for you(if youre really in the mood to pilot one). As is stands, i wouldnt put a cert into vehicles now.
  6. oberchingus

Hi there,

1) The harasser is one of the most fun vehicles in the game, but as KoS-1 said, hated on these forums. So take people's comments with a grain of salt. They require the right temperament to use well for combat, and that can take a lot of time to develop. I won't say master, because I don't think anyone can master the harasser. # of kills with a weapon or time in the vehicle mean nothing more than # of kills with a weapon and time in the vehicle. So don't read too much into stats like that.

2) As for what to unlock and how to proceed: I agree with dstock's post below to a tee. I will quote it again for ease:

3) If after all that, you're still into it then celebrate by jumping off the tallest cliffs in the land! And If you happen to play on Emerald TR, there are a number of harasser players willing to share their knowledge and experiences with anyone willing to learn.

Enjoy!
    A Harasser Amateur
  7. oberchingus

Speaking of which, I forgot to check my footage. If I don't find stuff, I suggest we have some duels in PTS, best out of 5 or something? At least it would be a good way to sharpen our nails.

Bushdoctorr and I have a patented recording technique, which we can employ at altitude. We'll need some players to play fun police and apart from that; you and Klypto vs me and one of my gunners. Thinking Feench.

Would that work you think?
  8. eatcow0

Here is the most effective harasser build I have tested and have been the most successful since the nerfs (play tested it yesterday for about 2-3 hours). Full surger, full fire suppression, full turbo, full stealth, saron with full reload and full zoom. I used to run full composite beforehand along with full scrapper. Stealth > composite armor by far. We had 4 sundys and 2 lightnings chasing us around the hills of esamir but with the stealth they couldnt find us and we picked them off one by one. Whoever suggested stealth in another harasser thread, excellent choice. Surger is better now as it allows you to escape in mountainous terrain much easier not mention I think it handles better over scrapper. Keep in mind it takes practice to be a good driver, to have excellent communication between driver and gunner. Keep your distance, like 100m out from tanks. If you get in close, infantry can squish you too easily. We had no issues shredding halberd + composite armor harassers but doubt they were dedicated harasser crews.
  9. oberchingus

Come to Emerald :)
  10. Dracorean

Stealth really compliments the harassers hit and run capability so its quite a viable option, proxi radar is decent if you plan on engaging infantry within a base. NAR is decent but not as effective for tanking, it does help out when you have an engineer in the rumble seat but given that its an NAR you can have a max opt for AA hop in the back to give you a bit of versatility. Composite armor is a little bit poor in terms of protection, however if combined with Fire suppression you can survive the killing blow that would normally take a harasser out. Mineguard is only useful when your just encountering minefields but given that harassers are meant for off road.

Fire suppression is probably the only thing you need to put on the harasser to avoid getting killed, smoke is situational as with gate diffuser given what it says on the description for them. For chassis you don't really need racer, as you already have turbo to help speed up the harasser. You either want scrapper for climbing over rugged terrain or surger for flat and tighter areas such as urban environments.

As for weapons, you want something that can do the most damage in a short amount of time, Halberd is a viable and common option, Bulldog is also effective given if your fighting infantry, the fury and Basilisk are versatile but do less damage compared to the Halberd and bulldog as a trade off, Kobalt is good but only against infantry as it has poor alpha damage, Anti air options aren't really recommended. Empire specific anti vehicle weapons are good options, but if you buy the Halberd with SC you can get it for all characters, still its a good option. Anti infantry Empire weapons are good but aside from the PPA, close range only. Though they do have enough alpha damage to quickly take out enemy light armor given the chance (MAX, Flash, Harasser, ESF) They cannot damage heavy armor.
  11. ata98

The harasser is a killing machine if you know how to use it

My loadout is:
    Full Stealth
    Full turbo
    Full scrapper
    Full certed halbered / vulcan
    Full FS
    I always use the harasser , my friends are very good with gunning / driving
  12. John_Aitc

Welcome to Forumside.

You can usually tell what is worth certing just by seeing what vehicle is being spammed by your side and enemies.

Harassers are fun if you can have a reliable crew with you. The same can be said for any multi-person vehicle, though.
  13. dstock

You can't argue with someone under the influence of MCB: it's a terrible drug.

1 Tank mine will do ~75-80%, you'll be at critical health/on fire, but it won't kill you. With r4 Mineguard (71%), I believe it takes 4 mines to kill you. No one plants 4-packs: you're basically invuln to mines.

I'm also interested to see so much love for FS. At max rank, you can pop IR Smoke 3 times as often, using it both to block lock-ons (6 seconds of immunity every 15 seconds!), or to visually obscure where you're going/hide. Running Stealth + IR Smoke makes you practically immune to lock-ons, which have become increasingly annoying as the Anni got it's guidance adjusted, and the huge upswing in population I've seen since the merger. I have FS certed on all of my characters, but I only use it for specialized load-outs. Smoke & Stealth is my default these days.

Just wanted to re-iterate, if anyone is thinking about getting into Harassing, send myself or one of the other guys from Emerald a tell, and we'll let you do some test-drives :)
  14. Ryker

More trouble then its worth after the mega nerf. But they still can be fun.
  15. reydelchicken

I think it's still worth it.

Just get yourself a halberd, ppa, or kobalt, and you can be fairly effective while driving around with a very fun to use vehicle.
  16. asmodraxus

Yes if your VS

PPA then go with Halberd/Saron for AV

If your TR/NC
    Kobalt and then complain on the forums about how OP the PPA is (or more sensibly suggest a serious design overhaul of the canister and some buffs / removal of nerfs to the marauder.
    Halberd for AV work
  17. KoS-1

FS works against anything thrown your way. It can help mitigate any damage.

Smoke just lock-ons. Hence why I run FS over smoke.
  18. Sagabyte

Cert a lightning instead with a buddy.

It's more effective for the same price.
  19. eatcow0

sadly all my time spent playin is on my connery vs. I have only a br 10 scrub on Emerald
  20. dstock

Well, you can still shoot! Stop by.

I use smoke to cover our exit, obscure tank views, hide from infantry. They are both good, depends on playstyle IMO.
    • Up x 1