Picture proof why Continent Locking hurts gameplay

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halcyon, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phyr

The best part of continent locking is how it killed indarside.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 3
  2. Village

Continent locking is the best thing that has happened to this game.
    • Up x 3
  3. BuckRaven

Which really makes you a bigger issue for SOE than CL (not to mention another reason why the F2P-model rarely works in the long run).
  4. Bortasz

Rarely? Examples or you trolling.
    • Up x 1
  5. Edenwolf

Hold on a minute, who ever said continent locking was for population imbalance, that just doesn't make any sence. I thought continent locking was to stop Indarside 2 and to add some meta?
    • Up x 1
  6. MasterDk78

And where is the good in forcing people? Would the forced player like it it all the time? Would he spend more or equal amount of time on the game now?
  7. doombro

Timers are too boring. They should be avoided whenever possible. In PS1 getting a lock was easy, 15 minute cap timers and travel time aside. The thing was, you could easily unlock the continent just by capturing territory that connected to one of its three or four warpgates on other continents. Unlocking a continent didn't clear the control benefits, either.

The current system isn't perfect. Expect tweaks and changes.
    • Up x 1
  8. FABIIK

So... continent locking is good because it concentrates players in fewer places therefore making bigger battles happen, right ?

Then could you explain how it's going to work, a few updates from now ;), when we have a dozen continents and battle islands ?

How do you prevent population from spreading out ?

Do you lock 8 continents out of 10 ?

Why spend devs time forging great maps if they're locked most of the time ?
    • Up x 1
  9. doombro

Under a continental lattice system, only a few of those maps at a time are contested. Unlike the current system, not everyone will have equal access to each map 100% of the time (locks aside). There will probably be no more than 2 or 3 maps under contention at once. To gain access to a map, you'll have to capture a corresponding warpgate. You won't just get a free pass to go there whenever you want.
    • Up x 2
  10. Cyridius

Why do people feel like they're entitled to an absolutely free and unlimited number of options? That makes a sh*t game.

Why is it, that continent locking has not effected the other two factions on your server as bad as it has hit TR? Have you maybe considered that your faction plays the game terribly and now that they're forced to fight within reasonable parameters, can't handle it?

I wouldn't play the Cont. Locking, I'd blame your outfits who have done nothing to rally your faction together.
    • Up x 2
  11. Timithos

Ah, some of us PS1 vets may have begged for the lattice, but not me. I begged for a continually enhanced hex system that SOE NEVER implemented.

And now PS1 vets definitely did not beg for continent locking. Continent locking makes little to no sense before having mainly more continents, Vehicle Zoning, Battle Islands, and.... more continents. SOE is delivering the meta-game backwards.

Don't blame the vets. We didn't beg for this, this time.
    • Up x 1
  12. Timithos

I don't understand the colors going on here. NC are yellow? TR are blue?
  13. Timithos

Yes... it's very wrong. And what's even more wrong is your omission of even mentioning Hossin - THE place to be.
  14. maxkeiser

Agree 100%.
    • Up x 3
  15. volth

Yea it's a great way to lose players :)
    • Up x 1
  16. FABIIK

The lattice, at map level, we have now doesn't prevent players from going anywhere. Your faction might be warpgated you can still take an ESF and fly all over the map.

Also, as you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the matter, wasn't it planned that each faction would have a 'home' continent ?
  17. volth

Lattice and home continents was planned but they didn't do it.
    But SOE say eventually we going to get it.
    Only problem is that eventually can be tomorrow, next week, next year or never.
  18. doombro

The lattice doesn't prevent you from going anywhere, sure, but it does prevent you from contesting areas. Yes, each faction will have a home continent. More specifically, each faction will have a home warpgate on one continent that will function like pre-continent locking warpgates. Hossin and the three battle islands, and presumably any additional continents or battle islands (Searhus, Oshur, Extinction) would be neutral.

In PS1, you had an actual "home continent" called a sanctuary that connected to a warpgate on three different continents. You would always have control of these warpgates. The continents that connected to your sanctuary, if captured by an opposing faction, would grant that faction your empire specific vehicles. Pretty neat benefit. Warpgates themselves worked quite differently. Warpgates were just giant teleporters anybody could use, rather than your "home base" on a continent. You couldn't actually capture warpgates. Instead, warpgates had one connection per map, and securing both sides of that connection (the facility linking to the warpgate on Esamir, and the facility linking to the other side of that warpgate on Searhus, or wherever) would be how you effectively "captured" a warpgate.

To simplify things, current warpgates are how home warpgates will function. Post-continent locking, normal warpgates will act as normal facilities, with the function of a continental teleporter. If you don't control any of these teleporters, you will not have access to other maps. As in, you literally will not be able to travel to them. Currently, you get a home warpgate on every map. Post intercontinental lattice, this will not be the case.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pootisman

People dont like it? I LOVE it. Continent locking is the best update since the game has launched. Finally the game isnt Indarside 24/7. Also, we finally have an objective that is worth the effort: -50% ressource cost is a big advantage.

The only problem i have with CL atm is that you need to abandon your vehicle when a continent is locked. Devs should add an option to teleport your vehicle to another continet.
    • Up x 2
  20. MasterDk78

did someone force you to go indar? - i guess not really forced.
    Does CL force a player on hossin or esamir?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.