SOE, you want revenue, right? Then why haven't you produced merchandise?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Angry Scientist, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Alexanor

I'd definitely buy shirts and keychains.
  2. AwakenRiceball

I am down for the following:

Keychain
    Vanu Max Figurine
    Water Bottle (<--- I like to work out)
  3. vsae

As someone said before, alternative NS models.
    Do it, NAO.
    • Up x 1
  4. Shadoiex

I want a plush Vanguard to keep me safe from Vanu infiltrators when I sleep. ;) :p

Screw it, I want an NC lapdesk!
  5. Mastachief

Does SOE have any problem with players having their own planetside 2 merch made by 3rd parties? For examples t-shirts.
  6. Hibiki54

FYI, if you had PS2 gear/apparel available, I would be throwing cash at the SOE store. Just sayin'.
  7. Konstantinn

I'd totally buy little vehicle/soldier/max figurines, I understand those would be difficult to make though.

Some fridge magnets, mouse pad, glasses/mugs that's just pictures and wouldn't be that hard to make. Hell there's plenty of places that will put custom pictures on any of these objects, problem is I'm kind of artistically challenged then there's the whole IP issue. If you guys make a limited amount of them available, see how they sell and if you can make a profit, it wouldn't be a huge financial risk. Worst case scenario you give them out at shows and as small prizes for competitions and what not.

I'd stay away from wearables like t-shirts, you'd have to make different sizes and not a lot of people enjoy telling everyone outside they play a certain game, but fridge magnets/mouse pad, mugs are one size fits all and remain in the privacy of home so you can show them to whoever you want and not show them to others.
  8. Iridar51

^ you guys are weird. My town has a lot of shops that print custom images on clothes. If I wanted a t-shirt with TR logo I'd just download the logo from the internet, bought a simple black t-shirt and took it to the printing shop, and they would print the logo on the t-shirt for less than lunch money, and I'd be sure that t-shirt is actually my size.

Don't you guys have similar printing shops where you live?
  9. Damingo

Love like a faction ring or dog tags out of silver or something. Not that cheep pweter stuff
  10. TwwIX

I'd much prefer useful and much requested features such as server transfers and character rename tokens than silly merchandise.
  11. Irathi

I would probably stick a cool prowler logo on my car :)
  12. Plunutsud pls

I suspect the problem is there's simply not enough people playing this game for SOE or whoever to even get into full scale production of merchandise.

When you have millions of players and fans then yeah, you know the merchandise will sell.

When you only have a few thousand then no, it's not even worth the hassle.
  13. Kevin49704

True, its prolly not worth a full merchandise store but I mean even simple T-shirts or stickers are pretty easy and cheap to make and sell. They don't need to go crazy with it but I find it hard to believe they can't go through a third party distributor to sell some simple apparel, key chains, stickers, and other small items.
    • Up x 3
  14. Simferion

There are online shops which print on demand official products.

Some years ago you could have some problems to produce something, now you can go and print on demand. You give the shop the logo or the picture(s) and they can put them everywhere.
  15. Zombekas

This is especially relevant to PS2! Many people would love to buy faction-specific merchandise, you know how people like to adore their faction. Just try reading the trash talk after big fights and you'll see what I mean.

I think branded t-shirts and hoodies with faction logos would be a major ka-ching. T-shirt printing doesn't cost that much, either.

I personally haven't spent a cent for this this game on StationCash or anything, but I'd consider picking up a t-shirt with a VS logo :)
    • Up x 1
  16. FieldMarshall

How can they make money on merchandise when they cant even advertise the game itself properly =[

Cynicism aside, i would certainly throw $$ at a simple black/blue/cyan hoodie with a TR/NC/VS logo on it
  17. hansgrosse

Faction emblem patches. I'd definitely buy an NC patch to put on my leather jacket.

Also (and I realize this is a stretch), replicas of the various faction guns. I'd love to own an authentic-looking Gauss Rifle, Jackhammer, MCG, SABR-13, Corvus, Lancer... Christ, I'd probably spend way too much on these things. XD
  18. hansgrosse

19. volth

I want a Max on my desk :)
  20. NinjaTurtle

Start off with smaller things like key chains, car stickers and shirts etc see how things go

If people show enough interest that it is worth pursuing merchandise further maybe then expand into models etc