[rant] PS2 Business model is counter productive to gameplay model

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zamfwo, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Zamfwo

The whole game of PS2 is a never ending repetitive tug o war vs 3 factions. The whole point of playing (aside from playing with people) is to achieve "things". That is why people play. To capture a base, unlock that new weapon, gain a new rank. All of these things are achievements, things we the players work towards.

I have never spent a dime on this game because doing so would have a direct conflict of interests on the goals I want to achieve. I want to unlock gun ABC, and purchasing it for SC would deny me that pleasure of the reward for my hard work.

Make no mistake I have a well paying job, and I have the excess cash to by SC if I wanted, but it is more satisfying and more fun for me to play for 8-10 hours to unlock a gun, than to spend the $7 to purchase it outright.

"But they have skins!" Yeah but I hardly see them. Unlike other games that sell visual fluff for $, PS2 hides it from you because if its FPS nature. Any other game has the camera over the shoulder, so you are constantly reminded of how ugly / awesome you look with or without skins. You hardly ever see your purchase in PS2, and with the whole "Spotting" mechanic, if you happen to be in the wrong area when someone spams Q, you have a giant red arrow over your head, camo skins be dammed.

XP is a joke and hardly an obstacle to overcome, so in reality the only half decent thing that SOE is actually selling is the resource gain boosts, to shorten the artificial time put on us to pull vehicles or MAX suits.

[/rant]
  2. BuckRaven

Each to his own I guess, I'm certainly not playing to unlock weapons and I'm sure there's plenty of other who don't either.
  3. come1l

I still buy my clothes even if I don't usually look into a mirror. Same way works with PS2.
    • Up x 1