[Suggestion] Reduce the galaxy's ability to farm

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wezdor, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Wezdor

In it's current iteration, the galaxy is the strongest unit in the game and has access to the current best weapons for farming infantry, the bulldog.

This simply means that the galaxy will for most parts be unkillable to the ground units as the TTK for a galaxy is often in minutes, while it can kill you in a few shots. Currently, this is a big problem especially on hossin and esamir, as they are dominating all the fights.

My suggestion would be to make the galaxies very weak against AV weapons, while leaving them resistant to AA options, such as lock-ons and flack, so they can still be an effective troop transport. Tank AP rounds and decimators should destroy a galaxy in 4 hits, regular dumbfires and HEAT rounds should take 5.

While this will get a lot of backslash, here is my reasoning; Galaxies currently have no reason to be floating close enough to the ground to get hit by tanks or dumbfires, as people can spawn directly into them and they can drop troops safely from 300m altitude.

The only reason for them to be this low is to farm infantry. And, as explained above, these galaxies are unkillable to said infantry as it requires far too much damage to destroy one. Making them vulnerable to AV weapons would mean they now don't get a free farm ticket anymore, but need to be more cautious if they wish to do so, like other vehicles in game.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.
    • Up x 3
  2. sucoon

Bulldog nerv allready on testserver online
    • Up x 3
  3. Icedude94

Practice using your dumbfire rocket launcher it does more damage and you can get shots off more quickly than a lock-on. Shoot at it with your tank cannons. AP does wonders against aircraft.

Don't use weapons that cause damage over time like skyguards and bursters.

If I can do it with scythes, you and your squad can most certainly do it against a galaxy.

See 32:35 and 39:40
    • Up x 2
  4. PastalavistaBB

NERF EVERYTHİNG!!! :eek:
    • Up x 4
  5. Bindlestiff

Forget it, tanks will be nerfed 10 times over before the Galaxy TRANSPORT is brought in line.
  6. MasonSTL

Don't you touch my galaxy!

A few questions:
    • what makes you bring this up now if the galaxy hasn't really been change in... well... as far back as I can remember?
    • why should we change the galaxy if its only noticeable depending on map layout?
    • why are you focusing on AV weaponry and ignoring flak, which has a far longer range than 300m?
    • what would the roll of your iteration of a galaxy be in a 1+ platoon vs. 1+ platoon battle where all AA is very dense?
  7. Champagon

I think OP got rammed by a GAL one too many times, therefore we got THIS thread
    • Up x 1
  8. KendoPS1

I fly close to the ground so I can see where I'm dropping off my squad and if it's a big fight, the galaxy is almost dead when I reach that destination because everyone - sometimes even my own ******* faction - is shooting it.
    Floating high in the sky as a mobile spawnpoint leaves you very vulnerable to aircraft and unless it's a case of "we have the entire base surrounded and our zerg will cap it any minute", that usually doesn't take very long.

So no, I would not like to be instagibbed by 2 tanks and I think the biggest and highest troop capacity vehicle in the game should take some effort to bring down.

That being said, I'm not sure if it really needs to have bulldogs because suppressing infantry from the air (aka farming) should be the role of Liberator and ESF. Still needs to be able to defend itself tho.

I also would not say they're unkillable by infantry. Shoot from cover and work together with a few others.
  9. MasonSTL

Yeah I can understand this. But I would like to see something along the lines of choosing to be a troop transport (or hopefully in the future a vehicle transport) and having that extra fire power. But in terms of extra fire power I had a single Duster, Zeffer, or Dalton in mind :p and completely scrap the bulldogs. That though is up for debate.
  10. vanu123

Reduce infantry ability to farm.
  11. JonboyX

I love that infantry and tanks are seen as the counter to galaxies in this example, rather than, say, ESFs, Skyguards, Burster Max units and Liberators.
    • Up x 1
  12. Zombekas

I bet OP got farm'd. lul ^^
  13. Wezdor

It does not do enough damage to kill a galaxy, mearly get it to leave for 30 seconds before it repairs and comes back.

Alright,
    • Every vehicle, base and weapon has been changed since as far back as you can remember and thus, the gal went from a mediocre choice to an excellent one for farming infantry.
    • It is not noticeable only depending on map layout, but it is most noticable on hossin and esamir where you cannot get reliable LOS for AA weapons from inside bases.
    • I am ignoring flak since it is not the problem when it comes to galaxies farming infantry, which this thread is about. Nerfing them against flak would make gals useless and noone wants that. In their current state they are far too powerful at sitting on top of a base bulldoging people and racking easy kills with no fear of taking lethal damage in a shorter period of time. Making them more succeptable to AV weapons fire ( which is most effective for low elevation/ close range targets ) means they can be killed by dumbfires from inside the base at an acceptable rate or can be prevented from sitting too close via tank fire.
    • The role would remain the same as it is now, which is a heavily armored flying troop transport as the resistances to AA would remain unchanged. The only difference would be more damage from dumbfires and tank weapons.
    On second consideration, HEAT should take 6 shots as it is not an armor piercing round, but AP should definitely do a major mark on the galaxy.

At the very least, ground units and especially infantry should be given an option to fight back against a galaxy when it tries to base farm them.

What does ramming have anything to do with this? if you get rammed by a gal, you're doing it wrong and deserve to die.

The removal of the bulldog would be the ideal solution but it will never happen.

Those things would be just as effective as before. But when is the last time you've seen a single ESF or a skyguard or a MAX kill a galaxy? And besides, libs and esfs are only viable if you have air superiority. If there is a galaxy sitting on top of a base, you clearly dont.

And before i get "hurr get air supperiority, you dont have it you deserve to get farmed". No, this is a game not a real war, people should not automatically lose a continent just because the enemy has 10 ESFs and 3 galaxies in the air that are impossible to kill.
  14. Icedude94

Get friends. Wish I had a video of the time my squad killed a galaxy with 8 simultaneous shots from decimators. Teamwork OP!

I usually sit outside the base in a stealth/AP vanguard, waiting to ambush enemy tanks and sunderers that show up. Every once in a while, a battle gal shows up. My squad in the base will shoot at it with their dumbfires. When the galaxy tries to retreat to repair, that's when I start shooting to finish it off.

If a galaxy is there to farm infantry, then that means there's enough infantry to shoot at it with dumbfires.

Quite simple, you have a very large, slow, and easy to hit target. Why not hit it with stuff that does the most damage?

Your way of thinking is the reason why everyone was complaining about being sniped by AV mana turrets while I was happily sniping back with my AP cannon.

Just like in my 2nd video, I can kill a scythe with 1 rocket hit with no warning or chance to escape for the pilot. Forumside cries that lock-ons don't work against PPA scythes or rocketpodding ESF's cuz they can always dump flares and escape.
    • Up x 1
  15. DK22

seem pretty weak to me, AA turret does them bad. might take me a life or two,
    the smart ones leave quick, cuz I will nail you into the ground.
  16. Wezdor

While i'm sure you have 8 friends with perfect aim and a decimator running around with you at all times, this thread is for the 95% of other players who usually run in groups of 1-5 players.

And just because people are not organized enough to simultaneously shoot off 8 rockets and hit, it does not mean they can't have any effective ways of fighting back.

AA turrets are only available at a handful of bases and are for the most part very quickly destroyed after the battle begins. Plus, they wont even bring a galaxy to half health before they get killed by bulldog + tail gun fire.
  17. come1l

I personally don't consider galaxies to be op, but it really needs to cost more resources than it does now.

I mean come on, a sundy that worths 400 resources isn't anywhere near the level of a 350 resources skywhale.

Also, 3 C4s (that cost 300 resources) should be able to destroy a skywhale.
    • Up x 1
  18. SacredRay

You guys got my Liberator nerfed. Now you want to nerf the Galaxy. You guys will stop at nothing -_-
    • Up x 3
  19. SacredRay

Sounds dangerously like entitlement to me.
  20. axiom537

Reducing the Galaxies ability to farm is your responsibility, not SOE's...