I'm a little uncomfortable with attachments being able to be purchased with SC.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Angry Scientist, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Clapeyron

at BR100 you have found what and why this game is fun, up until a point the carrot and the stick are usefull to get you hooked on the game... It took many hours before I even found an outfit I liked, and then some to find one I really liked and find what we did to make the game fun for us.

And there's always the thing about facing a pre-gimped dollared up dude with all the fancy toys right out of the box. Instant gratification is far to widespread in gaming culture these days
  2. Rift23

Every decision is driven by the desire to make revenue, what you thought they were here solely to please you?
    • Up x 1
  3. Coffee Hound

It looks like a handful of people are trying to cause a S-storm with multiple posts and threads. Can we please consolidate these threads?
  4. dasichri

Because its not? For short time sure, I can understand peoples argument there. But if we were to use this as a basis of the argument of pay2win, then really you or anyone else that thinks that way will never be happy until everything is truly free.

Which anyone that thinks that is delusional.

If SOE was to do something like that, they would continue to lose money, SOE employees wont get paid eventually, and the company will go under, then theres no more planetside 2, further more, it would discourage any other company from trying to do the same thing.

Is that what anyone really wants?

If anyone expects the game to stay afloat strictly from cosmetic items, then they are fooling themselves.
  5. axiom537

Not only should they offer you your Purple Afro. They should also offer limited edition cosmetics as well and charge $25, $50 or even $100 dollar items. No one would be forced to buy these items, they would have no impact on the game, but if you can appeal to the players vanity then you might be able to generate more income.

Hell, I would even pay for unique emotes...I'd pay good money for a /teabag emote
  6. Rift23

So, these lvl 2 infiltrators running around with SMGs/Commissioners aren't paying to win, but a BR 50 who decides to buy a suppressor with SC is?

Fascinating.
  7. Goretzu

I honestly see no difference between than and MAX extended mags; either both are fine or neither are to me. :confused:
  8. cnec31

[IMG]
    • Up x 8
  9. Mastachief

I see no problem with this.

GD7F 1x reflex, Softpoint, foregrip 1000SC save 10% today

Its another revenue stream that is totally harmless, because you can still get everything with certs within a reasonable timeframe.
    • Up x 2
  10. Ghosty11

You cannot solo Libs with a dual burster MAX with extended mags without reloading. That is a complete farce.

You can, however, solo an ESF with extended mags on a dual burster MAX, and with MAX Flak armor you can stand there and eat a complete magazine of lolpods while doing it. I do love when ESF pilots think they can beat a fully certed AA MAX with lolpods by tanking the damage.
  11. RHINO_Mk.II

There's sustainable revenue that comes from making a good quality game and having happy customers, and then there's burst revenue by making changes that appeal to a small minority of players (ex. those who are willing to pay $5 for +10% damage on their next 1000 rounds, or those who want to unlock everything in the game with cash) that ultimately shorten the lifespan of the game by driving away players who don't agree with these changes.
  12. RomulusX

Just start selling certs. Lazy people will fund the game, other people will have fun playing...I rarely notice I'm going against someone who has a totally certed out character from someone who doesn't.
  13. NC supporter

Eventually all f2p games turn into a money fanfare, they need to make money dude!
  14. Champagon

I don't believe it has hit forecasted revenue in a long time. This would explain the recent drop in items that were allowed in the depot. For example, those random horns they have now, along with some of the armor choices/golden and platinum guns. I mean really?

As long as they keep marching in the direction of PS1 gameplay mechanics and get content out faster then something major every 2 years, I think this game would be alright
  15. Taylorstar

Planetside 2 was only ever a cash cow in SOE's eyes. They pulled the plug on this game long ago when they slashed the dev teams staff number and now are trying to squeeze the last few pennies out of this games life expectancy and players.

Bad practice decisions and communication as well as poor balance changes have shortened this games lifespan, no amount of optimisation or new continents will bring back the players like it had on initial release which Im guessing they was hoping to keep.
    • Up x 1
  16. Axehilt

Lateral unlocks means you unlock a playstyle, rather than something that makes you stronger. Which is essentially everything in PS2 or LoL.

The only exceptions to this are a problem with PS2's progression system as a whole, not any paid part of the game in particular. If new characters started with a max-rank item in every single slot across all weapons, classes, and vehicles, then new players would be on a completely level playing field. (Apart from a few starting weapons also needing changing; Gauss SAW (long-ranged LMG) should be replaced with an all-around LMG, as new players should generally start with balanced all-around weapons rather than specialized ones (because when a specialized weapon is all you have, many weapons can be considered upgrades over that.)) Things like nanoweave are particularly bad offenders where a player will win a fight simply because they've played a character longer than someone else (which makes for the worst type of PVP.)
  17. BuckRaven

Because grinding does not equal winning.
  18. MasterCheef

Win what exactly? How do you not realize that a BR1 skipping grind doesnt really have much bearing on overall gameplay in this game. You can get killed by a BR100 just as easily as you can get killed by a BR1 in this game. Paying for upgrades will not cause anyone to die more often than they do now.
    • Up x 1
  19. Keldrath

So I thought buying the attachment unlocked it globally? I thought hey, I've got 100 smeds idk what to do with, dropped it on a laser sight, but it only unlocked for that 1 weapon.

That and while I got refunded for the Foregrip on my Pulsar C that had an advanced foregrip, the Advanced Foregrip is locked now. Even though it's eqquipped.
  20. Udnknome

You guys apparently don't remember the boost system from beta. They did things like allow you to switch weapons faster, shoot faster, use your knife while reloading, have better accuracy, move faster in ADS... and you could only get them with cash. Good thing they never implemented those.

This game is far from pay to win. Don't believe me? Go play Firefall (another mmofps that actually IS P2W)

A few attachments that you can earn in about 20 minutes isn't really a big deal.
    • Up x 1