Best Laptop with Graphic Card

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by DatatheGenius, Jun 28, 2014.

1. DatatheGenius

I am not looking to run the game on High settings with 70 FPS. I just want something that works.. lol You guys make it sound like the game won't run on anything over $1200..

I am able to play the game on my Dell Inspiron 17R, with integrated graphics. I only get 30 FPS, unless I am in big battles (recently it has been good there too, knock on wood haha).. I just want something better than that, I am already use to playing in horrible conditions, since I play at .15 render....

DatatheGenius
  2. TeknoBug

Neither, a 760M is the minimum I'd take, and the i7 4700MQ or similar is the best processor for a laptop, so I suggest to keep looking.
  3. BlackDove

What im trying to say is that peoples $2000 desktops that are several times more powerful than any of the laptops youve posted have trouble with it.

You can keep buying laptops that are barely better than your last one and try to be cheap but youd be better off buying something decent to begin with.
  4. DatatheGenius

All the laptops that I have found in my price range either have the weaker processor, or weaker graphics card. Between the two, which should I take? The weaker processor or the weaker graphics card? I just want to see things more clearly than a giant blur at .15 render lol..

DatatheGenius
  5. BlackDove

Youll be screwed either way with those laptops. You want better graphics, you need a better GPU, but PS2 requires high single core performance and clock speed.

An i7MQ with 8GB of RAM and an 860M would work "ok" for PS2 but still be somewhat underpowered.

Why dont you wait until you can get something that doesnt require a compromise? Or get a desktop? You get about twice the performance for the same price.
  6. DatatheGenius

Doubt there will be a chance for compromise at my price point.. Since these new U series processors just came out, most new computers are going to have them..

Is there a huge difference between the GT 740M and the GTX 850M? Would the weaker processor bring the GTX 850M back down to the GT 740M's level?

I saw one of your posts BlackDove, about someone else with my issue, and you mentioning that the GUI in this game wouldn't allow the game to enter the turbo mode.. Then I wondered, is it possible to force the i7-4510U into the turbo mode, so it would run the game better?
  7. BlackDove

Thats not how it works. The ui in the game loads the GPU to its TDP without allowing it to do real work(100% power and 50% utilization).

The engine also has problems with CPU utilization. It will be at 70% CPU utilization but it wont reach 100% because it has one thread handling too many things.

It has nothing to do with Intel Turbo Boost and the highest clock it says is with one core active so your maximum clock is going to be closer to the base clock of 2GHz or whatever and nowhere near the 3GHz boost clock.

The 850M is the new architecture and is about twice as powerful as a 740M which is just a rebranded 650M and it also has GDDR5 instead of GDDR3.

However my ancient 660ti is about 2 TIMES as powerful as an 850M.

If you want to have better graphics you need a good enough CPU and GPU.

I recommend you read my hardware guide and the updates.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...e-can-i-run-it-upgrade-advice-threads.170564/

Theres no way to "cheat" and get some $500-800 laptop that will perform anywhere near a real computer. My advice isnto get the 850M since its actually a decent GPU.
  8. DatatheGenius

My current laptop runs off of an i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz. Since the other processor is 2.00 GHz, would the bottlenecks be the same between the two? For example, when I am playing, and I get a CPU bottleneck, it would happen on the other i7 also? I don't get CPU bottlenecked much with my current laptop..

DatatheGenius
  9. BlackDove

That CPU is better than a new i7U. That actually has 4 cores and an i7 U only has two. Youd be downgrading your CPU by about half.

Your current laptop has a decent and expensive CPU. You probably have a bad GPU in it though because brands like Dell, HP, Toshiba and that kind of garbage sell unbalanced systems to ignorant consumers with marketing. The the people who buy them get pissed off shortly after buying it and finding out its garbage(decent CPU but garbage GPU) and they have to buy another computer.

Except theyll downgrade or sidegrade and theyll keep wasting more money than it costs to buy somthing nice ONCE and keep it for a long time.

I wrote about the phenomenon here:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ade-advice-threads.170564/page-2#post-2784516

And here:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ade-advice-threads.170564/page-2#post-2784971

Basically, dont expect anything youre considering now to run it better than what you have, because youre talking about buying something WORSE than what you have.

They should put a sticker on it that says "the same garbage you bought last year, but rebranded!" "Now with worse performance!"
  10. DatatheGenius

Would the dual core vs quad core REALLY be a noticeable difference?
  11. BlackDove

Is half the number of cylinders in a cars engine? Half the horsepower?

If you use the power, then yes. If you drive slow you might not notice. If all you do is check your email you wont notice. But playing PS2 is racing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231684

Thats decent for the price.
  12. DatatheGenius

13. elquetefoca

14. Sinful

I'm getting a new pc next week or so....found one with this specs:

ASUS Gryphon Z87 uATX ( Intel Z87 - Socket 1150 ) 2x PCI Express 3.0
    DDR3 16GB [2x8GB] DDR1600 (PC3-12800) - KINGSTON HyperX Fury black
    PSU 600W CORSAIR CX Series
    CORSAIR Carbide 500R Black ( 4 x 5.25 ) Mid-Tower Case - No power
    CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H60
    SSD Drive 120 GB 2.5" SATA KINGSTON SSDNow HyperX 3K - Solid State Disk MLC
    SATA600 2.0To (2000GB) - IntelliPower WESTERN Caviar Green (64MB)
    SATA - Lecteur Blu-Ray Combo DVD ± RW 8.5GB ASUS BC-12D2HT/BLK/B - OEM
    ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 PCIe ( GeForce GTX780 3072MB 2xDVI HDMI Display port )
    INTEL Quad Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz up to 3.90 GHz LGA1150 - 8MB - 22 nm - 84 W ] HD Graphics 4600
    MICROSOFT Windows 8.1 Pro OEM 64-bit

So i'm wondering if this a good pc for PS2 and any current or new game?
  15. Paulus

That will play the game fine, even if you're on 3 screens. GTX780 is a bit of overkill really for a single screen.
  16. DatatheGenius

17. Paulus

Back-lit Keys is a bit of a gimmick, but the CPU is reasonable, shame that GPU isn't just one rank higher, the 840m is not really a gaming GPU.

If you can afford the bit extra, I found something that should be enough for what you want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313742

It's using previous Gen GPUs but they are solid, and I know of a lot of other PS2 players who use this model of laptop.
  18. BlackDove

Data:

You need a powerful GPU if you want to use 1920x1080 on a laptop. Backlit keys aren't really important, but they are kind of nice.

Personally, I'd get something with a GM architecture 860M and stop worrying about it.

Sinful:

You should really make your own thread or just read my guide. It will answer all your questions. But no, I would not buy ANY of the products you listed.

CX series is a rebranded CWT.

i7-4770 isn't as good as a 4790 and they're the same price.

The 800 series GPU's are about to be released, so you shouldn't buy a 780 right now.

Paulus:

How's SLI scaling on those though?
  19. Paulus

It's not perfect, but the guys who have one of these are probably the happiest laptop gamers this side of an MSI G70. Once you get round the SLI profile niggle (you have to create your own, it won't auto-create one) it plays the game rather well. Of course a desktop would be the best solution, but sadly OP has ruled this out.
  20. Heretikos

I have an Envy 17-jo29nr. That's a Core i7-4702MQ with a GeFroce 750m (DDR3, not the rare DDR5). I don't know what some people are talking about. I play this game fine. I play watchdogs, wolfenstein... Just fine. Of course a desktop is the way to go for gaming. But I have no clue why everyone has these extremely low expectations for GPU's that I never have had a problem with.
    • Up x 1