How I would fix Redeploy and make it Solo Player Friendly

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Naders, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Naders

When I think of Redeploy, I think of what SOE had with Planetside 1 - You can only redeploy or spawn into spawn points close to where you died.

What I would change would be this - Think Logistics as this should be the main focal point. We are also not talking about resource logistics, only player logistics and the flow of combat. Wiki if you are confused.
    1. Keep Sunderer Spawning the way it is.
      1. The goal would be to have cloaking so it would give Sunderers a bit more defensive power so they don't just get spotted and taken out within a few minutes of a battle but that is another argument.
    2. Keep Gal Spawning if it is from your own squad, not platoon. I would like to keep this to squad only as you should be forced to get a gal from the warpgate/tech plant. You would be shot right down from the gal as you spawn so it is a mobile spawn point, not something to spawn into and act as a gunship. You can do that in the warpgate. You would only be able to spawn and deploy from the galaxy every so often so there would be a decent cooldown. Think like somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-30 minutes since this mechanic is fairly powerful.
    3. Remove reinforcements for squads/platoons but keep for the solo player and/or make it for instant action only.
      1. You could make Instant Action a reinforcements only type of thing as well so long as there is a hard spawn point and for solo players only. This I believe would be a good fix for the solo player. Make it have a short timer but make it long enough so they cannot just go from base to base.
      2. You could also leave this for squads/platoons but it would be a gamble as to where they would spawn so while they could do it, it would be safer just to go back to the warpgate or load up at a nearby base.
    4. Keep redeploy but make it so you can only spawn in 1 hex away in all directions from where you died/redeployed so long as you can spawn there either by Sunderer, spawn point or the galaxy (with the cooldown).
    5. Squad Spawning is an interesting one but I would say keep squad spawning to the nearest spawn point from the squad leader. No cooldown, nothing.
    6. Squad Beacon - Keep the same.
    Part of my reasoning is fixing the game for squads/platoons but also keeping some what is currently in the game for the solo player. There still needs to be more of an emphasis on getting players into guilds/squads but I think it is going in the right direction. The solo player still must be able to have fun and get in and out of fights easier but for a squad/platoon, what we currently have right now is completely broken. Some of these are already implemented so keep that in mind.

This would reintroduce logistics back into Planetside. What SOE just did was only a small fix. It is a step in the right direction but more needs to be done to change this from Redeployside 2 to Planetside 2 once again. This game at its core was supposed to be about logistics and it was during the later part of beta and when the game came out. Unfortunately, as time went on, player logistics have slowly been phased out of the game.

This is the one thing that separates Planetside 2 from other FPS games like the COD/BF series. With redeploy, it seems as if you are loading up a new server and each hex is just a new map. There are plenty of games for that. We don't need that in Planetside 2. This is a huge gripe with a decent portion of the player base and I know if most or all of my points were implemented, lots of people may return.
  2. Frostiken

By 'hex' do you mean 'region'?
  3. Taemien

I'd personally change it so that if you're not in a squad, platoon, or company (once implemented), the only place you can spawn in is the base closest to where you died and the four (unlocked) warpgates. The balance issues many players bring up are due to running solo and we can't simply balance everything 1 to 1 whether it be vehicle vs vehicle, infantry vs infantry, or even infantry vs vehicle.

So any changes that nudge solo players into joining or forming groups is a great thing IMO. We should be discouraging solo play, not encouraging it.
  4. LT_Latency

You would just have lots of people quit. Some people just want to do there things and not get hassled into to be required to do what other people want.
    • Up x 3
  5. Taemien

I disagree. EQ is another SOE game that pretty much requires groups and its on its 15th year and 20th expansion. People are more stubborn than you give them credit for and many bluff when they say they are leaving.

Though what could be done is give a 10% boost for a full squad, 25% for a platoon, and 50% for a company. That would make the carrot on the stick a bit more enticing for those solo players looking to get some certs.
    • Up x 2
  6. z1967

I like this. Makes squad play a bit more subtly forced without destroying solo playstyles. I like it.
  7. Taemien

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to punish solo players into oblivion. That only shoots me in the foot for my squad events that are usually only 2, 3, or 4 of us. But the difference between my small groups and most solo players is the objective. They're playing super casual and just want certs. My group is trying to make a difference, enough to make us look bigger than we actually are so it throws off the enemy. If we get 12-18 people dropping on us. We've completed our objective. However if you see me in the area, ignore me at your own risk. We do mix it up by joining a random platoon at little less than half the time.

But the point I am making is there is too many threads about tanks, libs, ect. My little squad eats those things for lunch. I can't understand why anyone would have issues with vehicles unless they are trying to go 1 to 1 with them. Which means they are soloing. They'd be surprised how fast a Lib or Tank melts when even 2-3 people work together to get it down.

So thus I don't wish to see solo play encouraged. The more people group, the more they see much of the things that gave them issues before are now Cert Pinatas. Not even going to lie. My team starts giggling on TS whenever a vehicle rolls up or flies in.
  8. LT_Latency

Yeah, call me when EQ brings in the numbers WoW did.
    • Up x 2
  9. andy_m

I think in future I will form a squad of peeps who want to do their own thing. I might even form an outfit that is totally based on solo play... Imagine that... Being in an Outfit or Squad, with total freedom to do what you want :D
  10. Taemien

They already exist, they're normally called zergfits. Pretty much every server has one. On Connery NC side its ADK. Not sure what the other factions' equivalent is.
  11. Flashtirade

You're setting the bar impossibly high if WoW (especially at its heyday) is your standard of judgment. Nothing on the market in the same genre has ever beat it.
    And considering the game is still somewhat alive since 1999 is an achievement in and of itself.

But enough off-topic stuff.
    • Up x 1
  12. Bankrotas

Call me when any subscription based game brings as many players as WoW did...
  13. andy_m

Ah... but "Zergfits" do tend to stick together and even, in some instances, concentrate on the task at hand.

It's a pity you can't form a squad of one. Or at least have a setting that allows me to appear to already be in a squad. Saves me having to deny requests, and sometimes be teamkilled for not wanting to join a squad (yes, that has happened). Anyway... I digress.

I do not particularly mind either way how redeploy works... I will simply adjust my solo playstyle to suit.
  14. Regpuppy

and sadly, they often take 2-4x the numbers to get things done. I'd argue said outfits are pretty harmful for their faction, if they manage to grab enough of the new blood coming in.
  15. Konfuzfanten

No. Its a huge gripe with a small, but very vocal minority of the PS2 community. Again explain to me how more downtime is going to improve PS2 gameplay. Lets not forget PS2 is an FPS, not a logistic simulation game.

More time down means:
    - fewer and smaller fights
    - dying is punished more = more spawn room camping
    - More ppl in crutches, like tanks, ESF, libs and MAXs.
    • Up x 1
  16. Kanil

So I'd press insert to auto-join a squad, mute squad chat, and continue to play as normal?
    • Up x 1
  17. Taemien

Till you get booted by the leader, sure.
  18. Kanil

Then press insert again and continue to play as normal? I mean, there's literally an auto-join squad button, and for 10% more EXP, I will gladly press that button a few times a play session. It's not much work. I'd imagine there'd even be a lot of new squads popping up that exist solely for the EXP bonus, rather than for any sort of coordination, and after a few attempts I'd end up auto-joining one of those.

I'm not really convinced you can force player organization.
  19. HadesR

Just form an anti-social squad ..

Need for mic : zero
    Need for communication: zero
    Need for interaction: zero
    Need to follow orders : zero
    Ability to do what you want; 100%
  20. OldCuban

OP you lost all credibility when you added " Solo Player Friendly " to your topic.

This is NOT a solo player game, never was, never will be. Solo players ruin this game.

The " solo players " you're referring to won't come back for the changes you've mentioned.

Joining a squad, platoon, and/or an outfit have never been easier. There's absolutely no reason why someone shouldn't hook up with members of their faction.

Now, if you want to log in and spend all day sniping and not helping the war effort for your faction, go for it. Won't get any respect from players like me who take part in the bigger picture.