I thought lock continent would be a good thing!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Silkensmooth, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lothbrook

Was fighting on indar where most of the continent was contested still, ohh whoops we won the alert so now i have to go elsewhere, lol, yeah logged off.

Its true propose to hide how dead the game is by forcing people onto 2 continents instead of 3-4, even after the merger if a 3rd continent is open its dead, game just doesn't have the player base to support more than 1 1/2 continents.
    • Up x 2
  2. Tuco

Notice how nothing really changed. 90% of the time Zergs still roll base after base, on average outnumbering their opponents 3:1, and spawn camp; soooo told you so.
    • Up x 1
  3. Caserion

I love how everyone is saying ''because you get off Indar''

I have never played on Indar, never in 10 months. I liked the other continents more as there was more than just 48 + people everywhere. There were small and large battles alike, especially on alerts. However, with continent locking, i have often been forced to play on Indar as Hossin is purely large battles and nothing in between.

How i miss the green hills of Amerish, why does thou elude me!
    • Up x 1
  4. lothbrook

Yeah, Indar/Hossin will only lock due to alerts, or late at night due to ghost capping, because thats where all the people are right now, more people less likely to be locked due to resistance making it impossible to hit 94%. The last few times i've been on Amerish has been locked, lol.
  5. Mystogan

I just want to give my feedback about how new system is driving me away from PS2 and I think if it won't change, I will finally have reason to drop the game.

I am tanker, I love driving tanks, this is what I want to do. And I love sometimes just go to some bases as a HA to pop some headshots.

Since the new cont locking is out I am unable to play tanks (on Miller) and I am either facing overrun continent or zerg fest in cluster-bomb Hossin.

I. HOSSING AND LACK OF CHOICE

I have enough Hossin, the most unfriendly continent for tanks ever: close areas, big volleys with mountains, hard falnking, hard as rock flowers stopping my tank, no clear falnking roads, water full of mines, mountains with AV nests everywhere from gal drops, shield gates everywhere causing tanks to fight face to face on roads and shelling on each other because even with magrider it takes AGES to flank enemy armor zerg. Worst ever.... didn't play my tanks for 3 days and almost didn't play PS2 also.

I want to go to Indar, Esamir, Amerish- NO, beacause they are locked. Mostly by TR becasue they have overpop on MIller. When I get up and Log in (as a VS alt now) I have- Amerish and Indar locked, Esamir 51% NC (compare to 10 and 12% VS and TR) and on Hossin I face TR zerg with -50% Air and -50% Infantry resources.

That is BS. So I have only one continent where I can pull tank (Esamir) which is overun by NC ghost capping zeg- beacsue they want to have -50% resoucers and don't care about fighting or Hossin which is worst for tanks and fighting faction with -50% Air and -50% infantry.

But even than they are also capping other continent- becasue overpop.

I can't go on my NC main bacuase all I have is same on Hossin or ghost capping Esamir.

II. GHOST CAP AND ZERGING

Also, new system encourage ghost capping like hell and zerg even more. Why?
    1. Bonus to resources- everyone want to have them, but only overpop faction can afford to fight other factions on one continent while at same time capping other or two. Also this encourage one faction (for example NC today) to drop all the fight everywhere just to ghost cap continent to have resources. Boring!
    2. Nobody cares about fighting and locking continent in sense of accompishment- just for resources. Factions are ghost capping at night to have resources bonuses during next day, locking my favourite continents I enjoy playing the most. Boring!

III. OVERPOPING FACTION WITH ADVANTAGE

Faction with overpop is in big advantage- you can't stop them from capping other continent, becasue then you have to leave contitnent you are fighting on now (which is Hossin 33%/33/33) and then overpop faction will ghost cap the continent you left. No matter what server it is- overpop faction has clrearly even more advatage then before and screw fun for other two.

Sorry but if one faction can ONLY because of overpop- get -50% resources for at least two things- this is inbalance as hell. It wasn't fun to fight overpop faction even before sometimes but at least they where spread across continents. Now they close 2 conts and zerg the Hossin with huge advantage. I guess all server with one faction overpop feel the same. No exp boost will help with that.

IV. FINAL THOUGHTS

All of this is big mess. I want to choose on what continent I am fighting on. You know what I do right now when I log in- see Hossin and empty amerish/esamir? I log out.

Before I could at least choose where to fight. Now I just give up. I can't drive my tanks- that what I do- I stop playing. Air can fly everywhere. But tanks on Hossin? Just front armor and shell.

For now- after playing on new Hossin and with cont locking- I don't like it and it will stop me (it is doing it already) from playting PS2 more then give me fun.

That is just my feedback and opinion. I dislike new system totally. Thank you for reading.
    • Up x 6
  6. PhantomOfKrankor

If you're looking forward to that, great, but it's not what we have. Maybe we'll have that this year, if we're lucky. Meanwhile people are parading around on here talking about how great what we got is, that it adds purpose, meta, and how it fixes Indarside, but that's BS. Just like they said regular lattice would fix what's wrong with the game. It didn't, it's the contributing factor to playing the same bases with the same fights and the same progression across the map every day that people are so tired of. People said alerts would create the meta. They didn't, they broke any feeling of persistence this game had. People said that continent locking, even when we knew it wasn't going to be an intercontinental lattice, would fix so many of the problems. It won't, it's a combination of the worst aspects of lattice and alerts.
  7. ReformerTR

4 continents and 2 are always locked at one time? really bad idea.
    • Up x 1
  8. ProfessorHobbes

Simply locking a continent when you cap it is not meta. Nothing changed really. You could still capture a continent before in your factions name, it just didn't lock and give you a resource cost reduction. Now when I log in sometimes I am forced to choose between only two continents. How is that good? This meta you speak of is all in your head. All they did was dangle a carrot in your face for when you capture a continent.

The only way it will be working towards a meta is when they get an intercontinental lattice setup, and possibly when the resource revamp happens as well. I feel like releasing it along with a new continent was a bad idea, since on it's own continent locking is pointless really.
    • Up x 2
  9. ProfessorHobbes

The continent locking is not what is forcing people off of Indar, that would Hossin. Since Indar has a much lower population then usual a faction will sometimes breeze through and capture it while others are on Hossin.
  10. Longasc

Continental Locking changed not that much. For better or worse.

I was hoping for players being herded together instead of small pop splintered over 4 servers but it didn't magically increase the "felt" player number.

IMO: PS2 has some inherent issues about base-centered fights, I am not sure if a resource system will make people move out and "harvest" them outside the bases.

I have logged in only to collect certs for a while, was thinking for a few days to throw the towel and leave without thinking of coming back.
    • Up x 1
  11. Xocolatl

Haha, yeah. I think for AU server, continent locking helps to focus the play down a lot. We don't have that many players, so having everyone funneled onto the same continent is nice. However, I do have a pretty old PC as well, so I have a really hard time playing on Hossin. I feel ya, OP.
  12. Axehilt

The limited flanking roads is definitely an issue on Hossin. Although admittedly I've had plenty of great flanks on the map so far despite that (but I suspect this factor will decrease over time as players learn what angles they're vulnerable.)

Also agree that they should provide better visual language for which flora items will block your vehicle. I think there's an even better (worse) example on the previous continents, where there are two types of small trees that look nearly identical, but one blocks vehicles and the other doesn't. (Neither should obstruct vehicles, given that the tree in question is small enough that it would only realistically stop a flash.)

I agree that the new system rewards the high-pop empire, but mostly in regards to how players actually play a 3-faction game. (They play it entirely wrong, which is literally the only reason the high-pop empire has an advantage.) If they had a personal incentive to play the game properly, then as the high-pop empire pulled ahead, more of the underdog factions would gang up on them, and the system would entirely balance itself. It's only if an empire has 51% or higher global pop that they become unbeatable. Anything less and the two underdogs can beat the leader down. But again: that's not how the game is actually being played (even though today with zero changes players could start playing that way if they chose to deprive the high-pop empire of victory.)
  13. Tyrant103

Oh, wow, You struggle to play as a tank on an infantry orientated continent? oh no!
    • Up x 5
  14. libbmaster

Again, people seem to be missing the point.

Of course you can't play where ever you want when ever you want. Their are barriers, such as locked continents and enemies.

Welcome to Planetside.
    • Up x 7
  15. TheFamilyGhost

Using armor on Hossin is a new challenge that people will need to get used to.

After nothing but Indar, a change is good. Hossin is still very popular. That popularity will run out.

Get with a good platoon and win at the local level. Who cares about the larger game...really...get with a good platoon and own your piece of ground.
    • Up x 1
  16. HolyMohli

+1
    [IMG]

on our server - every alert looks like this... just tell what to do ???? i dont like this overrun philosophy,
    i want to play a fair game..

unfortunately ps2 is the unfairest game i've ever seen.

btw - this was TR main front fighting on esamir....
    • Up x 1
  17. Mastachief

Ugh what you mean is there are not enough exposed spawn doors to spam.

Leave your tank at the stairs and join the real fights. There are plenty of places for tanks on Hossin learn the continent and learn that without infantry support your tank will die and without tanks the infantry will die.

Hossin is as close as SOe have come so far to a good continent. (still a ways to go yet). As for continent locking, right now it is a simple system that they hope to get more intune with the original planetside continental lattice system. I don't like it because i want the full fat system but for now its an essential fix otherwise there would be not population to speak of on any continents just ghostside2.

Up until now planetside2 has allowed people to live in their vehicles. Finally SOE shows some promise at getting people to actually play combined arms.

Just another generic hate thread after a mere few days were hossin is shiny and new and most people want to play there 24/7. Things will settle out and people will take the new continent benefits into account and maybe pops will spread more evenly. Until then I would suggest getting out of the tanks and learning all the new bases.
    • Up x 2
  18. Cinnamon

Infantry resources are nice but I wouldn't ghost cap a continent just to stock up on med kits. Normally have plenty of air and vehicle resources floating so those are even less relevant. But what would force me to want to fight to stop another empire getting a resource bonus when they already have the higher pop? I never stop and think when playing on miller than TR and VS seem unable to supply an endless stream of anti infantry tanks from nowhere already so why would 50% resource discount affect my game experience? I guess it just comes down to the pride of wanting to prevent them from winning a lock but there is no feeling of letting the side down when they just have 50% cont pop and the real contested cont at the moment is Hossin.

They clearly don't care about designing terrain for interesting tank gameplay though only desinging terrain for tanks farming infantry with HE. I've said this before since they butchered the landscape of esamir and I still think it's true. But most replies to this thread will be like "huehuehue can't spam spawn rooms on hossin with prowler HE gj soe."
    • Up x 1
  19. DK22

I don't understand the hate of so called 'ghost capping'
    like, the territory is there, why not take it? somebody always shows up eventually.
    Heck I've taken a few, nice and peaceful, and before I know it the whole thing turns in a 48+
  20. Corporate Thug

Everyone is forced to do things they don't like from time to time. It wasn't much fun when I first decided to go infantry the majority of the time but I took all those shells and spam from other vehicles on Indar, now you have to sacrifice as well. The problem comes from you thinking that because the game has vehicles, that you can only play in one all the time. You can only spawn in as infantry, so you are ALWAYS infantry...Learn to have fun being what you are.

It's kind of funny to see people upset about not being able to use vehicles some of the time when everyone is infantry by default and the only objectives in the game are based on infantry interaction. It's not that I'm not sympathetic to your concerns since I want you to have fun, but vehicles are a luxury, not a necessity. There is nothing wrong with hopping out of your tank or what ever vehicle and getting your hands dirty. The developers never wanted you to be able to tank non stop unless you earned that right through mastery of the unit, otherwise they wouldn't have timers and resource costs.

As far as the problems with over population, I think SOE has it backwards with continent locks. I think some other type of reward should be put in place, like instead of resource cost reduction, a bonus to the maxiumum resource cap like 950 instead of 750 for each individual resource/continent. That way the over populated faction doesn't get a clear advantage, but an earned one by using their units wisely.

I was never a fan of continent locking because taking away freedom is never a good thing, despite if it is viewed as being part of the greater good. You can't control people and the only way to get them to do things is with incentives. It's just SAD (system analysis and design) that SOE doesn't take population, the possibility of exploits and unintended uses into much consideration when they release things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.