Sorry SOE that we are such a horrible community

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, Jun 28, 2014.

1. NinjaTurtle

I have over the time I have been playing this game had many many criticisms of SOE and their decisions whether it be their horrible aesthetic choices with camo or whether it be on a more mechanical level such as how the factions are too similar and don't play differently enough in how they work and play or whether it be their preference for Reddit over their official forums... though now I see why so I apologize for my criticism of this in the past.

But this week SOE pulled out of their hat the best update this game has ever had.

They have delivered the first part of a real meta in Continent Locking and not only did they do that but they gave us a new continent that we have been begging them for, for over a year and they also chucked in a few extras such as outfit recruitment and outfit base capture all in the same update and relatively speaking nothing broke too much (I said relatively).

Previous week they were great in their support of the Server Smash between Waterson and Mattherson and afterwards went with the overall majority of the community in re naming it Emerald as it was by far the most popular neutral choice. They even chucked in a couple of renamed bases as memorials of this occasion. So some great community relations there

But even now people complain, this forum is full of whine and doom and gloom (yes I realize the irony of this thread). Despite these things being amongst the most popular and requested features since release we have complaining about how it will kill the game (melodramatic much?)

As a massive critic of SOE in the past I would like to take this moment to say thank you for the awesome updates recently. For the first time this feels like the game I signed up for back in December 2012 Awesome stuff

If any dev reads this just try to remember that even the worst of us only complain because we care

TLDR:
    We complain because we care
    • Up x 33
  2. BadAsElite

Each to their own. But I was expecting a completly finished Hossin as it's over a year and a half over due. Not one covered in yellow sticky tape, with the proceed with caution banner draped over the loading screen.
    Quolity control has been poor in recent months when it comes to visible bugs, which get past the test server (After people prompt them on the bug section), looking at you lighting bug!

Continent locking is not that epic victory alot of us veteran players were hoping for. With us actually taking the fight to the enemys warpgates, instead of a 90%+ territory control, which is very lack luster indeed.

Battle islands too with continental lattice is the current main goal, and we have 1 battle island finished almost 9 months ago.
    SOE could have made that the "filler" Battle island for all Continents till new ones are bought in.

But i'm not seeing that much hype as I would have expected with such a big update. Guessing people were fed up with the long over hyped wait.
    • Up x 6
  3. Champagon

Some complain because we care, others complain to troll. SOE has a bad habit of listening to trolls, but recently i believe they decided to go back on the right track. Make Planetside....PLANETSIDE. Let the COD/BF kids play that particular game you know?

I actually recently reinstalled this game because i am thrilled with the direction SOE is now taking
    • Up x 4
  4. Konfuzfanten

Strong post, couldnt agree more.
    • Up x 2
  5. itschristalking

Yeah, I don't come to this forum very often but it seems a lot better than the reddit community at least. I mean, the planetside reddit is the most toxic community I've ever witnessed with my own eyes. I would be pretty unwilling to work on a game with such a horrible community, but I'm glad that you're able to so I can enjoy it.
    • Up x 1
  6. BadAsElite

Gezz it used to be a safe haven where people could use a forum for what it was ment for. Guess the sewer pipes had to flow into it one day.
    • Up x 1
  7. daniel696

And sometimes we get mad.
  8. ironeddie

Can't agree more. Was thinking about writing something similar. If I were a dev I would probably be a bit upset and confused at people complaining about the things they had the day before been asking for.

I complain because I care. To any dev reading remember that I've been here since beta, I've bought a lot of SC and a sub. I wouldn't have done any of that if I didn't enjoy the product.
    • Up x 4
  9. OldCuban

As long as they don't do to this game what they did to SWG, I'll be a happy camper.

Although, I do dislike how the whiners tend to get their way.

Meh, whatever, game on!
    • Up x 4
  10. RyanGUK

Say what you will about us being such a bad community, but we're no League of Legends.

We do complain because we care, and this game means a lot to us all. Unfortunately though there are still other bugs that should've been patched months ago. It's great releasing new content and I love it, but it's oversights like that which aggravate me.

At least the scope sights are getting some attention, or at least I heard they were.
    • Up x 3
  11. Taemien

There is alot of complainers. But they spend their time on the forums, not in game. That's their loss. They are the vocal minority. I can honestly say the new continent is a success. Just yesterday I was in a lib my buddy was piloting since we wanted to test the Duster (that still needs a bit of work). Instead of engaging bases he was flying that big *** aircraft under the canopy and giggling the whole way. I was yelling at him to go to the waypoint but he was having too much fun. That says alot, since the game has gotten dull for him over the last few months.

The continent locking has a great potential. I've read from devs that they intend to get more alert types and all of them will be triggered by the players. Adding more incentives and more meta to the game. Its stuff that the game should have started with but well they just didn't have an idea back then on how to implement it. Now they do and we're getting it.

The game is getting better from here. Not worse. And we only have to sit here and enjoy it.
    • Up x 4
  12. Paragon Exile

I just got back from sacrificing a goat to SOE.

Praise SOE, SOE is good, SOE is great.
    • Up x 4
  13. IamDH

Nerf OldCuban.

Nerf the NC as well, never liked those blue hillbillies
    • Up x 1
  14. Lucidius134

Assuming they all realized Reddit was where they would get more dev feedback and went over there. Most everyone on the forums accept "devs won't see this post until it hit's 60 pages or 60 likes." Not saying it's true but it's widely accepted.
    • Up x 1
  15. Taemien

Its not always true, I've gotten direct responses from RadarX and devs before.

You're just not going to get much with a "this sucks, you suck" post. Or even something vieled that implies that they 'just suck'. Insults just don't get responses, nor should they.
    • Up x 3
  16. libbmaster

I think the most important thing we can stress here is that we are not "apologists".

I think O:MFG should have been undertaken in tech test.

I think the MLG partnership was a poorly executed waste of resources at best.

I think the devs could have been better at communicating with us from the start.

While I understand that Hossin was delayed first because of O:FMG, then because the lattice rework of the other continents, and then because the level design team wanted to put all the new development skills they learned into Hossin, I still think that all of these things should have happened sooner in development.

But SOE delivered a 10/10 on this patch, with maximum content and minimal bugs, and have vastly improved their approach to the community and the development of their game, and for that I applaud them.

Gives me hope for the future and all that warm fuzziness.
    • Up x 3
  17. Silkensmooth

Find one post where i ever asked for continent locking.

You wont.

they had zone locking in warhammer. Well they had 4 tiers of pvp from 1-10 11-20 21-30 etc something like that. The first three tiers all of the pvp zones were unlocked all the time and it was great fun. People loved it.

Then we got to tier four and they started locking zones. There was only ever one zone in contention.

Soon every day the zerg forced everyone into a city seige and after a month half the pop had had enough and a few years after its release it is now completely shut down.

So anyway yeah to say that WE have been asking for these changes is inaccurate.

I wouldn't at all mind a system whereby territory capture on locked continents has no affect on the planetwide battle. But i should still be able to play there if i want because this isnt BETA. I dont want to have the game i really like turned into a totally different game. Not acceptable to me.

I think its great if they add new content, even if its content i wont enjoy. I just want to have a CHOICE about whether or not i want to explore the new content.
    • Up x 1
  18. Diodeone

LICK
    LICK
    LICK!
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  19. NinjaTurtle

Not quite.

If you were to look through my post history you will see I am extremely critical of SOE and have been quite aggressive in my criticism of certain things they have done. My posts as a result of which probably come across as extremely immature and the point I was trying to make was probably lost in the frustration of the moment

However this week they delivered an absolutely brilliant patch and delivered some of the most requested things from the community and all this forums does is cry and complain. Is it any wonder they have little communication with us and avoid us as much as possible. We are aren't exactly a very grateful community

Credit where credit is due these last few weeks SOE have done good.

If you have the balls to make posts to criticize of poor communication or poor design choices etc then it is only right when they deliver give credit as well

By all means give them negative feedback as I will still be doing but you have to give positive feedback when it is deserved as well

Oh and that girls **** is damn fine
    • Up x 1
  20. Diodeone

I finally found something we both can absolutely agree upon!