Miller Continent Locking

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanchester, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Tanchester

Well, I don't wanna sound grumpy and all, but you might as well remove Amerish and Esamir from Miller if it's even possible (I know it isn't, I'm speaking metaphorically).

Literally, The VS on Miller NEVER has population, and 20 minutes into the new update, the TR locked Amerish and the NC locked Esamir, thus forcing the remaining players to move to Indar and Hossin and making this game more of a zerg fiesta and annoying overpop bunch than it already is.

I don't wanna sound like whining, I do get a bunch of kills with a decent K/D Ratio, but I've seen so many people get frustrated in 10 minutes of the update that it made me post this.
    Also, the time for the continent to unlock is too long, some people simply want to play on Esamir or Amerish (e.g.), because they enjoy it.

I don't think this was thought through very much to be honest...
    Prove me wrong, by all means.

See you!
    • Up x 5
  2. volth

Same on Ceres, its boring and what about the player continent limit?

You should make the continent lock timed so they only stay locked for some hours and then unlock again.

The new continent Hossin is very very buggy now too. Like you can get a secure area warning out in the jungle, 100m from the enemies spawn point. And its fog everywhere.
    • Up x 1
  3. Pikachu

It's supposed to be.
    • Up x 8
  4. Arch

Dont fear, the Vanu night raiders will lock indar during the early hours and you can go play esamir or amerish again :)
    • Up x 1
  5. Goden

So?

It looks terrible.
  6. Pikachu

No it looks great. Foggy swamp is nice. Why you no complain about it before hand btw? You must have seen it on videos and screenshots.
    • Up x 6
  7. Goden

I've always been against the heavy fog and haze on all of the continents.
  8. volth

But its not nice and close combat is the only thing that works on Hossin with the fog.
  9. pnkdth

Haven't had a chance to play yet, but how does the IRNV scope interact with Hossin?
  10. LIKE A BOSS!

The fog looks nice on Ultra to me but thats my opinion.
    • Up x 1
  11. volth

Works better with IRNV, but the fog make everything very bright with it.
    I have got a headache from trying to see enemies on Hossin. Feels like when you play games with low fov.
  12. Rift23

But continent locking was supposed to fix EVERYTHING.
  13. Valeriu

I like hossin, I like the fog, I dont want to spend my entire time there. Its a air players dream, impossible to get a lock on, fog to cover your approach, if you have any skills you are invulnerable! Its also just a zergfest, no sniping, no range, just run and gun.....and lets face it thats not PS2's strong points, other games do that better.

But locking continents when you only have this small number is just plain stupid. Already the TR have esamir and amerish, and looks set to keep it that way.

You are locking half your content for no real reason. I dont think its a great "victory" to deny access to half the sodding game.
    • Up x 2
  14. Valeriu

Damm stupid idea unless they were going to at least double the amount of continents.

And this one is buggy as hell, dont use a spawn beacon, its 50:50 whether you land or go straight through the map....
  15. Tanchester

I don't want to play from 3am to 7am!

It's plain out stupid to be honest. And here's an actual example of the 1st day of Continent Locking on Miller.

NC had population, thus they locked Amerish, and then the entire player base from Amerish went to Hossin and NC had 50% Population on Hossin. It was plain out annoying, My entire outfit spawned like 10 MAX units to defend one point in the BioLab... ain't noooo way you can play against a zerg like that.

So basically, what they did is the opposite of what they wanted to do. Which is make equal population.
    Amerish and Esamir are just gonna be freakin' resource and experience boosts for TR and NC on Miller. VS will never, ever lock Amerish and Esamir.
  16. Stanis

Really? It hasn't been 5 minutes.

On Miller :
    NC have the world pop early afternoon
    TR overtake them around 8pm
    VS come out at night, after 10 pm.

It's been like that allowing for some fluctuations and flavour of the month since server launch.

The big question is how much do those empires want to defend their locks.
    Or how much do we ALL want to lock Indar ?

I'm not 100% clear on the alert conditions yet.
    Locks only being broken by another lock .. is an interesting mechanic.
    (That'd be a chinese proverb .. "may you live in interesting times". Too early to tell how it'll play out on live servers)

But a lock broken at 3am has to be taken against 2 Empires on a different continent.
    So it is inaction by a 3rd empire that allows this.

You can expect after the shiny new-ness of Hossin settles down a more mature meta-game will develop in which some outfits play solely to prevent or attempt locks.
    Most players though are just going to look for a fun fight.

Give it, a couple of weeks and two hotfixes at least before *****in'
  17. Tanchester

You do realize, by being VS, this is gonna completely suck for our faction on Miller, right?
    Literally, in the last YEAR, I haven't seen VS go to Amerish or Esamir to do anything. Trust me, I prefer Amerish and Esamir over Indar. Everybody just zergs around on Indar, it's rather uninteresting and monotonous.

I'm gonna miss those normal 12-24 and 25-48 medium sized battles..
    This update is just an icing on the cake for all overpopulated factions on their servers. TR and NC obviously have more population on Miller, if you don't believe me, check the WDS stats, in which Miller VS sucked so hard and was last by far. Also, the daily activity of VS is depressing to be honest, I have never seen more than 29% of VS before really late at night, when even the TR and NC switch to their VS characters.
    So basically, lemme narrow it down:
    1. We're gonna be underpopped all the time.
    2. Battles are gonna be zergs all the time.
    3. Amerish and Esamir are gonna be nothing more than boosters.
    4. Global Alerts no longer exist.
    5. 2 out of 4 continents are constantly gonna be unavailable for play, which is so dumb that I really have no idea who thought of it... literally, as I said, just remove Amerish and Esamir and lets be realistic.
  18. volth

Maybe but Hossin give 25% more xp for the continent lock there.

Most players going to log in to planetside 2 and see if Indar is unlocked if its locked they going to quit ps2 and try again next day or be so annoyed they quit the game. If they remove the fog in Hossin or make it so its only fog on the ground (like in a real swamp), it be a ok map.
  19. randallt3mpd

Good riddance. I mean I don't wanna see the population drop or anything, but do we really need people holding back the progression of this games content? People that just wanna play one map for the rest of the games existence. Variety and new content is also key to PS2s longevity.
    • Up x 2
  20. volth

Yea if its good maps but Esamir have fog that destroy that map, Amerish is boring only rocks and trees. And Hossin is a mix of both Esamir and Amerish but not a mix of the good parts. Hossin is full of bugs, walls, heavy fog, max altitude of 500m lol, and so on. Indar is bright and no fog + its a fun map. But PS2 only have 2 maps now, before the patch it was 3 maps but now its only 2. Because 2 maps going to always be locked so its only two maps unlocked each time. And NC locked Indar on Ceres now, but Esamir is open and Hossin but its a long long queue for Hossin.