[Suggestion] "Disposable Ammo Kit" Consumable Universal Utility Slot Certification

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RoderickH, Jun 23, 2014.

1. RoderickH

Name: "Disposable Ammunition Kit"
    Slot: Utility (Usable on all classes.)
    Certification Cost: 100 CP (R1), 300 CP (R2)
    Resource Cost: 100 Infantry (per kit)
    Description:
    The Disposable Ammunition Kit (DAK) is a consumable, universal utility certification that instantly and completely replenishes the user's ammunition reserves for their Primary Weapon, Secondary Weapon and Tool slots, if applicable. (It does not, however, replenish the user's Primary Weapon, Secondary Weapon and Tool slot magazines.) It can even construct enough ammunition to fill a reserve pool augmented by the Rocket Pouch or Ammo Bandolier Suit Slot equippables.

The DAK provides increased autonomy to those soldiers wanting to retain their mobility and range far afield from their Empire's support structures, but not without cost. Being as it fills that soldier's Utility Slot, they would be giving-up access to Restoration Kits, Medical Kits and C-4, so it would be up to the soldier to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of carrying a DAK.

-----

I think a Utility Slot item like this would be a boon to Snipers, Stalker Cloak users, rooftop skulkers and Heavy Assaults everywhere. Though Planetside 2 is a game where teamwork is of paramount importance, helping your team does not always mean running with them. This one's for the players who spend their time far, far away from ammo packs.

What do you think, Forumside?
  2. JKomm

No. We have Engineers for a reason, if you're having trouble maintaining your munition supplies, then find someone who can help you. Something like this would almost make the Engineer's ammunition package obsolete in that anyone which frequently needs extra ammunition(Mainly Heavy Assaults who primarily use rockets) will not have to depend upon other players, thus promotes solo gameplay and less team cohesion and commitment.

As of a recent update, the Ammunition Package is more-or-less the Engineer's active ability, to give a lesser version of that to other classes would be like giving everyone a heavy shield utility or a rocket jump... it would be unfair to those who play those classes, no matter how limited it may be compared to their class ability.

I also don't believe medical kits should be in the game, so don't bring that up as a counter point, if you want health the only way should be through a Combat Medic or slow biolab regeneration benefits.
  3. task_master

no need to take away from class abilities any more than we already have. and besides that, who really needs to carry ~30 magazines lmao
  4. Pelojian

Ammo packs, Ammo sunderer, AMS sunderer, Repair Sunderer these are just a few things you could consider supply line/support tools in this game and you want to practically eliminate one? if you want more ammo get a munitions or ammo pouch.

yes i know it can be annoying when you are on the ground locking on aircraft to not have enough max ammo to sit there and get aircraft as soon as you can or be in a fight where MAXes need engineers or few medics around.

these all have simple solutions. go back to the nearest ammo pack or spawn room, swap to engineer/medic yourself.

Personally i think they should add a class new ability for engineers "supply crate" friendlies within range of it will have their consumables automatically added to their reserve if they have some surplus banked.
  5. RoderickH

I see what you guys are saying, but I don't think something like an ammo restoration utility would eliminate the need for the Engineer or his ammo pack any more than the Medical and Restoration Kits (and even the Regeneration Implant tree) have eliminated the need for the Medic or his healing tools. The utility item I've described would be an option -- a trade-off, really -- for those who go on missions where they have no personal ammo porter. Hardly the death of teamwork, and an undeniable part of the game.

With a cost the same as C-4, it'd definitely be a niche item. Using an infantry terminal or an engineer's ammo pack to resupply would definitely be more cost-effective. However, for some, I think a personal ammo resupply that they could carry around in their pocket -- though, again, not without opportunity and resource cost -- would really enhance some of the fun of this game.

Maybe it's a bit too powerful in the way I wrote it in the original post (the devs made rocket-resupply take forever for a reason). Maybe it should only restore half your ammo per kit. However, I think the core idea as a "niche fun-enhancer that wouldn't take too much to implement" is sound.
  6. GeneralPeragorn

I would say it only does two clips or something. You want it not to be relied upon.
  7. EvilMindedSquirrel

For all the people complaining "But muh Engi neesd luv!"
    We have recon darts for the crossbow and TWO different types of med kits.

I still find it not very useful though.
    We have the cert line to carry more ammo, and in big fights there in always an ammo back right next to you (if the engis wants certs... and which engi does not want certs... engis love certs!)