Merge EU servers!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kunavi, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Kunavi

Reading so much about Emerald and the EU reaction to it, I can only assume we(EU) all, or most of us at least, want such a thing. Recurring discussions on population ever since the birth of the 4th Faction so to speak, up to the latest discussion titled partly "If and when", prove that there's not enough people for PS2 to be enjoyed by all Factions... Barely enough to fill 1 Faction at a time, with extreme population shifts. At least not on the majority of the EU Servers, certainly not where I play. And when the 4th Faction is not an issue, the numbers are too low to be spread among 3 Factions. In a game like PS2 I should not be seeing the same names over and over in 20 different Bases in one gaming session- Nor should I be able to recognise the names of half the people I see, means we're too few.

So basically can we discuss this while it's a hot topic, while SOE is still warmed up on mergers from the whole Emerald thing? How many of you agree on EU mergers?
    • Up x 16
  2. Burning Mustache

I agree, Woodman at least desperately needs its population doubled and the other EU servers don't seem much better.

Thing is, if what RadarX said in the other merger topic is true (and I have no reason to believe he would be lying), which is that as of right now, EU server merges are not in discussion, they probably won't be happening for a while, if at all.
    It's a bit mind-boggling too because SOE have all the numbers and I find it hard to believe that Mattherson / Waterson were in a worse shape than most of the EU servers before the merge, so if they decided they qualified for a merge, the same logic should surely apply to EU servers, but alas.

I've tweeted to Smedley and Higby about it as well but seen no reaction from them so far.

Some more transparency and feedback to the community would be great on this issue.
    Like I would be really interested in their reasoning for qualifying Mattherson and Waterson for a merge, but none of the EU servers. Do EU servers really have that much of a better population than those two had before the merger? If they do, do they think that Amerish and Esamir being literally dead even during prime time and on weekends is an acceptable situation? And if they don't, why aren't merges even being discussed right now?

Of course I have a feeling that the real issue is that server merges make for bad PR (see also: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/...o_say_it_but_the_game_needs_to_have_a/ciggvrp "Server merges are typically not something you make launcher ads and create social media plans for so I'm not sure this is the best example.") and the less "visible" / prominent EU servers just happen to get the shaft on this issue while their US servers are kept healthy to show off the game.

I'd love to be less cynical about this but the lack of communication to the community on this issue (and in general, really) makes it hard to feel any different.
    • Up x 7
  3. Bush82

didnt even notice it was double XP weekend the servers were that empty. normally its the best weekend for large scale battles.

last night on Cobalt there was no 48v48 battle anywhere on the map. i want the game to be like beta/launch times again. it is not the same game with less than half a populated server in prime time.
    • Up x 2
  4. NinjaTurtle

• Up x 2
  5. Plunutsud pls

Exactly.

Up until the last moment, Radar and Higby kept saying there are no plans for a merge.

Then Smed tweeted merge in June.
    • Up x 3
  6. VethEU

I think SOE is going to use Emerald as a benchmark for the new continental lattice that comes with the Hossin patch. The remaining servers are the comparators. So if we will see that the new system only works on high pop servers we can expect to see more tweaks to the system as well as future server merges.
  7. Tyrant103

Anyone remember when you had to join a queue to warp to another continent?

Anyway I hope they do something about server ping first, I get 130 ping during prime time..
    • Up x 1
  8. Irathi

Less merge talk, more recruiting new players!
    • Up x 1
  9. Robertooooo

Same here. So I might as well play on the action filled emerald server instead of a near empty cobalt since it barely makes any difference in connection quality or ping.
    • Up x 1
  10. andy_m

Not had to queue for a continent warp on Ceres since Christmas time.

Having said that, I was in a terrific struggle last Sunday where we were defending Vanu Archives for what must have been over an hour. The battle was constantly 48+ on both sides. I've never earned so many Certs in an hour.

Trouble is, it is just a bit hit and miss.
  11. senondo

please drop us something about EU Playerbase/Merge options SOE.
    Show you care about your current and soon to be customers.
  12. Pootisman

We need to wait for hossin and continent locking. Many players stopped playing because of boring Indarside.
    • Up x 1
  13. Cinnamon

At some point they might have to do this but you should also be careful what you ask for. The reality of really high populations at peak times is often really frustrating and glitchy. Personally I think that it would almost be better to lower population caps per continent than to increase overall pop for servers.
  14. sushiii

As the title say merge the EU servers. At least merge 4 servers and make it 2!
    The population is low on the servers
    • Up x 7
  15. minhalexus

isn't this NA forums?
  16. Ribero

According to some Tweet, Smedley said that EU Mergers were being discussed.

Never saw the actual tweet myself though, only its reference in some Reddit post, so no idea if Legit or not.
  17. sushiii

Lol? This is ps2 main forum...
    • Up x 2
  18. sushiii

19. Pikachu

Didn't RadarX say that it is not being discussed?
    • Up x 1
  20. CEGrif

not being discussed at that particular moment in time