Server smash was great. Here's some feedback from a viewer.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ronjahn, Jun 22, 2014.

1. ronjahn

I really enjoyed watching the SS. When it started I never thought I would sit for 2 hours watching others play PS2 but I couldn't take my eyes away. Other than some glitches, I felt the camera man did a great job keeping us in the action and was right there for all of the important battles throughout the event. I in no way am trying to offend anyone who hosted or put together the event, but I have thought up a few suggestions for future events that I think would make watching a bit better.

1. A score board would be amazing.

2. The commentators should have a roster from both sides. This way they can talk about the outfits and particular players who are making an impact on the fight. One of my favorite moments was when bob came in to tank bust and c4 those tanks. It would have also been nice to know who was sitting on that mana turret firing onto the point and turning the tides of that battle at the Bridgeward too. More information about who is doing what would make these events so much more enjoyable.

3. A map should be displayed in a corner of the screen. Or the commentators should bring up the map on regular intervals to talk about and provide updates on the current state of the event. It seemed they only used the map to look where they were going next. While watching the action is great, a minute to update the viewers would make it so everyone knows what is going on.

Again, I truly enjoyed the event. Thanks for putting it together. Great job by both Waterson and Matherson. #NAMEITJAEGER
    • Up x 3
  2. Alarox

I agree with everything but I'd like to add one thing:

4.) Whoever the main caster is... you have to learn to let other people speak.
    • Up x 2
  3. NinjaTurtle

The commentary team needs to be Brian Blessed and Morgan Freeman
  4. ronjahn

While Freeman and Blessed would be epic, I honestly thought the commentary team did a pretty good job overall. Some interruptions, alittle confusion at the end, and a bit of server bias got in the way of a truly great performance, but overall their excitement for the event, their love for the game, and attempts to keep the viewers engaged were spot on.
  5. RHINO_Mk.II

My feedback:
    1) Learn how to set a timer that doesn't mysteriously stop working mid match.
    2) Ideal setup would have multiple cameramen (if not multiple casters) so that switching between fights does not cause terrain loading glitch.
    3) Solo commentary is not near as much fun to listen to as dual or team commentary. Find a partner to commentate with, don't talk over each other, and make sure the two are compatible. Common practice in this regard is to have one "hype" caster to talk about exciting moments on screen and do play-by-play and an experienced "analysis" caster to talk about strategies, make predictions, etc when less is happening on screen.
    4) Have the map in a picture-in-picture window. Keep the current score updated on this window.
    5) Instead of sitting on a perch in the point room, consider following pushes from either side in as they move. Perching is fine, but it was very overused.
  6. Dotz0r

Here is a video - where Bob makes his first appearence - this video also shows what can be done when we collate individuals streams post-match.

There is some good sync-d POV footages, namely bob and a few Air segments.

And also - Server Smash is not SOE, your feedback is going to fall on deaf ears here - i just happened to see this.

www.reddit.com/r/serversmash - is probably your best bet to submit feedback.
  7. RHINO_Mk.II

I don't Reddit, but from what I understand you create threads by posting links? Just link this thread. Simple.
  8. ronjahn

Yeah I don't reddit either. Didn't really want to create one just to post this feedback and since there is a lot of talk here about the SS, I figured some of the people who run it will see the thread.

If anyone wants to link it to the SS reddit I am all for it. The thread is intended to be helpful, but I have no idea how to get it to Reddit so the right people can see it.
  9. Pirbi

I thought they would have a better way of doing camera work than having NC meat shields. Had to cut through an NC infiltrator to kill a heavy as an LA.
  10. Ronin Oni

Yeah, they have observer cams....

I don't understand why they wouldn't use em......
  11. Dotz0r

Fun Fact - SS has no observer cameras, any we do use are beg / borrowed.
  12. Ronin Oni

Considering that it's just PTS where the SS are held, I don't see why SOE can't hook you guys up with a couple Observer cam "accounts/characters" for the purpose.

Especially since they seem to support the effort.
  13. Calisai

I love the 240 v 240 matches. It seems like the sweet spot... small enough to still be manageable... but large enough to capture the full continental-scale warfare that makes PS2 unique.

I really hope SOE considers using the old hardware from the merge to devote to a password-protected Server smash server (maybe with separate faction passwords, that the admins can reset after each match) Set the Pop limits to 250 each faction, give the admins enough observer cams on each faction so they can use them (and be on the third faction)

That way you can do away with the non-affiliated logging onto the server. Give the faction passwords to the leaders, have them disseminate them down... if there is an shenanigans, then its totally on the faction leader's head. IE, faction leaders given passwords 1 week in advance.... players log on, create a new character (automatically given 100k certs) and get ready for the match. 1 week should be enough to have everyone do that. Even if a server specs out 300 characters, the pop limit would lock them out if they tried to bring them on continent... if they lock it... then its their own fault if they can't get people to leave (the password should be given to only the combatants and their reserves, not everyone)

It seems to me that both the MLG and Pal are mostly small scale... which isn't what PS2 is about. These ServerSmashes really encompass the feel of PS2 matches (for better and worse). With a bit more experience and practice, I think SS staff will get them running very smoothly... especially if given a bit more help by SOE.

They are great advertisements for the game and keep the excitement alive for some of us. I've been feeling a little burnt out lately from the game. The excitement of planning for and participating in the SS has brought back a lot of my enthusiasm for the game.
    • Up x 1