Engineer or Combat Medic for the Terran Republic?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Luminiouscow, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Luminiouscow

2. ExarRazor

medic will probably net you more EXP overall, and everyone dies at some point, and most people hate having to respawn,
    medics have aoe heal ability, which can be used while under fire to possibly save you from fatal shots

they also have aoe healing grenades, which are kinda meh in my opinion, and rez grenades, which are an exp machine If you toss them onto a group of dead allies, in addition to the standard frag grenades. TR medic also gets access to some beastly assault rifles

engineers are good exp machines too, but their primary source of EXP besides kills are repairs and ammo restock, of which, ammo restock has a VERY low exp cap.

engineers are more flexible, with AI and AV turrest, AI and AV mines + c4, and sticky and frag grenades, but don't really have a 'get out of trouble' card like the medics has
  3. Luminiouscow

So is the Medic basically better?
  4. RenegadeHelios

Depends on what you prioritize.

Medics keep people up, engies keep them shooting and give them defensive cover. (AI turrets)

Something to look at is the concentration of medics and engineers in your fights; if you have any maxes running around, check to see the concentration of engineers. Keeping MAXes up is a necessity, but if you can see decent support, you need to prioritize based on how effectively people are getting rezzed.

But yea.
    • Up x 1
  5. Iridar51

Why not have both? Heck I main LA, I still got repair and med tool maxed out.
    • Up x 3
  6. Regpuppy

Eventually the idea is to be flexible enough to switch to either depending on what the situation demands. If there are too many medics and a decent amount of vehicles/maxes on the battlefield, or you want to drive around in a vehicle yourself, engineer is the better choice for that situation. If there is a lot of dead people and very few medics, medic will be the stronger choice. I don't see a need to play either exclusively, to be quite honest. The only question is what you should focus your certs on first.

That being said, I'd suggest maxing the medic healing tool before anything else. Among the things that have an impact, that one upgrade is the largest. It greatly affects revive speed and the range of your healing tool. It also affects how much health people have when they are revived by you. Quicker revives are a good Xp maker and more than pays for itself over time. But even then, you eventually want to max out your repair tool on the engineer as well.

After that, it's all playstyle. But I'd suggest leaving things like infiltrator and Light assault for last, but maybe that's just me.
  7. Freedym Fry

I think investing certs into the ammo pack line is a great investment, we always need more ammo and it's a great way to get exp if you put them in places where they are needed most. Preferably not next to another ammo pack. It is very good exp and helps your team a lot.
  8. LeafTheLeafeon

This. Engi for high flexibility, medic for the guns and heals. Play both as the situation demands, and cert their heal/repair tools up (it helps a ton).
    • Up x 1
  9. Iridar51

Dunno about that. Have maxed ammo pack just cuz had spare certs, threw it around in large biolab fight yesterday, hit the XP cap for resupplying in 5-10 minutes.
  10. CptSundancer

It depends on your play style. You're specifically asking about TR medics/engineers so I'd look at the empire specific things.

TR Engi gets claymores, the medic gets guns like the TAR. Now, pretty much every empire medic guns are fun. But claymores, oh baby. Love them. No greater feeling than putting one on a second story doorway and watching some super-spy-sneeky light assault come charging in and go *boom*. Makes me laugh every time.
  11. z1967

Medic for the weapons and necromancy

Engineer for the free ammo and ability to carry lots of boom
  12. Badname707

If you intend to cert into vehicles at all, or pull them yourself, I'd recommend you have a highly certed repair tool, if not a fully maxed out one. If you're leaning more towards infantry play, I'd definitely start out with the medic. Don't worry about certing anything but the heal tool all the way out at first, and once you feel you're in a good spot you can start up another class. It's best to focus on getting each class to a usable level rather than specialize in one thing in particular.
  13. FieldMarshall

It depends on the fight really. I get more certs with Engineer in a MAX heavy enviorment.
    Medic is also good, but relies on people dying and not having a bunch of other Medics nearby stealing xp.

The fact that its being discussed and that there is no clear winner makes me think that it doesent really matter what you choose as a "main" class. Since they are so close anyway.
    Though i would recommend playing both.

I would focus on maxing the 2 tools first. Med tool and Repair tool. Once you got that, you can pretty much freely swap as the situation demands.
    I would also suggest maxing the ammopack. Not sure if its like this anymore, but when i started playing, a rank 6 ammopack would cancel out a rank 1 ammopack next to it.
    Meaning the person who had the highest ranked ammopack was the only one getting xp.

Also, a bit off topic. Im not sure if it is a bug, but i am able to place 2 ammopacks at once since the new patch at max rank.
    I was going to make a thread asking about it, but why not ask here.
  14. MostlyClueless

Medic. More XP, better guns and everybody loves you (If you do your job)
  15. Regpuppy

Eventually, yes. But it's a very low priority among the things that should be certed. Especially now that you can plop them right under peoples feet instead of looking for flat ground close to them.
  16. Bortasz

Go both.

But firs I advise for Engineer. Because with fully certet repair tool and Flak armor you are good gunner and driver add the same time.
  17. DK22

if your BR1 I'd say medic all the way, look for those big battles, and cert up that tool,
    and put a few into the eng to move up later, its kinda a must for vehicle/air
  18. Obstruction

this is a PS4 question, from someone who probably never played. the answer is you're going to be playing HA a lot, and engineer when you're in a vehicle. medic is great, but so are all the classes. HA is going to be the easiest to learn the hard lessons with though. also let me just set this little fire burning through the PS4 community: HA Rocket Launcher is a 1 Hit Kill for infantry.
  19. Longasc

From an European perspective, I make more XP from dropping Engineer ammo packs in spawn rooms than as Medic.

Sorry. That's my kind of humor.
  20. Lord_Avatar

TR Combat Medics pack better firepower against Infantry than Heavies - our ARs are beastly. The Engineer, however, has way more leeway when engaging vehicles. Support capabilities aside, it boils down to personal preference.