Liberator Update: Is the Zepher obsolete?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by amerigo, Jun 21, 2014.

1. amerigo

At first we were all:

[IMG]

But then this happened

[IMG]

I'm confused on the numbers here. The Dusted does 50% more damage per round, and gets 67% more rounds per clip, same reload speed. Why ever use the Zepher?

Also, I've been playing since launch. It seems that every time a new item comes out, SOE nerfs all other "options". After a few months, the new items get nerfed. It's a constant cycle.

SOE needs to refund certs / SC every time they nerf an item. This has happened far too many times, and is very unfair to the people that have supported this game from the beginning.
  2. Staticsilver

Zepher is far more accurate, with no CoF increase, please fully investigate 2 items before comparing their basic stats, also Zephyer can do damage to armored vehicles
    • Up x 2
  3. Tommyp2006

Because the Zephyr is better against armor, it's more of a generalist gun than an AI weapon.
  4. RHINO_Mk.II

RIP Zephyr
    Nov 2012 - Jun 2014
    • Up x 6
  5. RHINO_Mk.II

Zephyr has CoF increase.
    Please fully investigate 1 item before making erroneous comments about it.
    • Up x 1
  6. Staticsilver

Sorry was a quick mobile upload, it has smaller relative CoF increase than the duster that is no where near as punishing to the weapon stats.
  7. OldCuban

For taking out infantry, yes the Zepher is indeed kaput!

Why select a weapon that's good at nothing in particular when you have two separate weapons that are better suited to specific targets?

Just my 2cp :p.
  8. minhalexus

your MEME is very bad.

The background doesn't work with the text.
    • Up x 4
  9. Govedo13

SOE ubernerfed it so they can sell the even worse AI duster
    Liberator is the new obsolete vehicle along with harasser now.
    • Up x 1
  10. Zenanii

Yup, because god forbid we have any vehicles that actually require a crew to operate! Guess battle gal nerfs are next on the list.
    • Up x 1
  11. Ac3s

Nr1 reason why I stopped membership, this game has no solid ground and every weapon/vehicle changes way too much.
    3 months ago they buffed the lib, now they triple nerfed it, seems like SOE doesn't know what it wants.
  12. zombieslore

You are mistaken. Just reading the info about the weapon doesn't show everything because zephyr has been changed to the Dalton AP damage resist previous from HEAT damage resist i believe but it only increase the shot to kill from 1-5 if I remember right. Duster still does HE damage type I think.
    Lesson of the day, read patch notes
  13. zombieslore

Want to talk about obsolete vehicles, talk about my maxed everything HE vanguard with maxed out C85, now that's useless. Still can't believe you guys are complaining about specialization when the whole rest of the game has been doing that since the start.
  14. Alarox

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that people who are playing the same game as me actually believe the Liberator is "obsolete".
  15. Paragon Exile

Zephyr still shreds infantry and light vehicles with ease.

Pull your heads out of your as... out of the sand!
  16. Cougarbrit

17. Obstruction

Zephyr is the new meta (sadly.)

Shredder got hit the hardest, if it's not one or two specific crews you already know they're garbage/noob just by the sound.

Dalton is very dangerous now and a good temporary pull if you find yourself hunted by skilled air. but you can't defend yourself against G2A lockons or MAX units so if there is no air duel, you're basically just doing single-pass strikes on armor. the ammo cap hurts this choice badly, because now the Dalton carries a much less credible threat. all you have to do is run them out of ammo and outside of a few specific gunners, you are probably not going to get hit if you aren't flying right at them. also the sound change has badly nerfed the TB> Dalton dunk so that element of surprise alpha damage is not as much of a threat either. upcoming TB nerfs will almost totally obsolete this loadout, except like i said, for top crews to take out specific targets.

Duster is still going to suck no matter what they do with it, because it doesn't shoot where you aim it.

i'm no expert, but as i see it guns are judged by two very simple things:
    • does it shoot where i aim it?
    • does it do damage to what it hits?
    that means the Duster fails at 50% of even being called a gun. the only way to make it worse would be to have it damage you when it manages to hit a target. but i don't want to give them any ideas so i'll stop there.

now, to the Zephyr. it still damages everything. and its kindof horrible, yeah. but it has 120 rounds at cap. that's like 6 or so to kill a Lib, 2 for ESF, and upwards of 3 clips for armor depending what you're killing. you can still swoop in hard on a skyguard and poop all over it. you can kill G2A lock on heavies. you can kill MAX units. lets just compare ammo caps vs air:
    • Dalton 2HK Lib/1HK ESF :: 40 cap :: 20 lib attempts/40 ESF attempts
    • Zephyr 6HK Lib/2HK ESF :: 120 cap :: 20 Lib attempts/60 ESF attempts
    and if you're 3/3 your tail gun has already reduced the necessary shots to kill more often with a Zephyr than with a Dalton. it definitely lacks the projectile velocity for consistent long range hits, but it has enough spamability left to try your luck. just about the only thing it has trouble with is standing base turrets, because they got super buffed as part of that last TB nerf. it's part of another conversation but i am probably going to cert up my Vektor and try it out here and there.

so what does this mean for the metagame? well, we can still kill scrubbish air with 2 shots or 1+ some tail help. we can still dunk your terrible unskilled/uncerted Lib. if you want a ranged duel with your Dalton we'll just count to 40 and chase you down for the kill, of if you're good we'll ditch and pull ours. we can still find your precious 12 on 12 infantry fights on dead continents and crap all over you. in fact since we can't even get close to 24+ anymore that's all we can do. in fact since we can't get into bigger fights, and since it was your scrubbish whining that got the nerf dropped, that's all we will do.

(by the way it is ironic that people have learned to pull AA and defend those 24+ fights now that they got the nerf through by holding up empty hands and saying "OP.")

so, anyway, you remember that super scary Lib team that used to wreck all your dreams and leave you sitting in a spawn room hugging your local Burster MAX and crying? we weren't even using a Zephyr back then. it's like in that movie where those guys fight with swords for like 20 minutes and then the one is all like "i have to tell you something, i'm not left handed." then they fight a while more and the other guy is like, "i have to tell you something. i'm not left handed either." so you got your nerf. yeah, that's interesting.

now, here is the take home message: we're not left handed either. being forced into using the Zephyr has brought the fun back to Libbing. it's really given me a fresh look at an old friend, and shown me what the most important part of being a full time Lib pilot is: making infantry scurry and hide in fear, making them type their ugly, impotent rage in /tell and /yell, and most of all, ruining their fun. because they deserve their fun ruined.

and when you pull air on us, and we shr3k you so hard that your grandma walks bowlegged for a week, you come on these forums and you just complain about how you got 2 shotted by a Zephyr.
    • Up x 1