What Exactly Does It Take To Kill Infantry So Easily?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CJ2DaRescue2, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Konfuzfanten

This + lag = very uneven TTK.

Not a bad thing, just saying it will make TTK very uneven.
  2. hawken is better

OP, you play on Waterson, right? I think I've seen you before.
  3. Chazt

Headshots make a huge difference, they literally double the damage of each shot, which is more than enough to kill someone in 3 or 4 shots. I would also say hit detection is your main issue here,
  4. Shatara

Range may play a part as well, especially if you're using a faction-specific SMG (6m is pretty much touching range, and even indoors 25m+ ranges are common). In my experience, this or a flagrant inability to land bullets at all are the main contributors to my "take fire/spin around and win" kills. The shield is irrelevant, since if they know what they're doing I'm dead before my finger can hit the F key.
  5. CJ2DaRescue2

This is exactly what has been happening. The video helped me alot. Thank you for posting and educating me on this and everyone else.
  6. Tbone

My pleasure.
  7. mavix

The lag also explains why there are so many times when both you and your opponent kill each other. I have that happen many times per play session and it shouldn't be happening.
  8. maudibe

learn to bunny hop. The side to side shuffle makes it so you aren't there when they shoot at you. Its a lot harder to hit a moving object and the hit detection only makes it worse. If you stay still your dead. I dont buy that another guy is SO GOOD...that he can turn around and get 2 or 3 head shots on me imimediately before he dies from my already advantage of getting 3 body shots on him before he turned. OF course my 20 -30 FPS sucks in large battles and we all learn to live with what it is.
  9. Scatterblak

Shoot them in the head.

Next question....

...in all seriousness, it's hard to remember in the heat of a firefight to shoot people in the head. I'm only just now able to remember it fairly consistently. and it makes a lot of difference. Go into your next fight specifically planning on shooting people in the head, and see if it makes a difference for you. :)
  10. Taemien

This is an issue that isn't easy to fix. Its compounded by the tick times on the server, which is why sometimes it feels as if you got nailed by a hundred shots at once... well in that case you did. Especially when fighting against weapons that have large volumes of fire. You can find that thread here: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ems-are-killing-the-game-video-inside.189980/

But the video shown by Thaygr shows a problem that will persist even if tick time rates are increased. That is simply caused by limits in the technology of our infrastructures. We're limited by the speed of light (which used to be fast, now its slow compared to what we demand of it). As well as the processing power of our routers, servers, and other hardware our signals traverse through.

Client side hit detection has its pros and cons as well. The pros are obviously that what you see is what you can hit. The cons are well.. laggy connections on your opponents side can cause issues like shown in the video. We're shooting at 'echoes'. In addition it allows for aim bots to function since they react to whats on your end and then the server just accepts what you issue it.

Server side hit detection fixes the echo problem. Sometimes. Here's a picture of what happens with unoptimized hit detection when done server side:

[IMG]

If you've played this game (MechWarrior 3) online back in 1998 you will probably remember what this tutorial picture (we didn't have YouTube or Fraps back then) is showing. Lag Shooting. When you fire, the server checks to see if you hit in the area where the target is. This is why you have to aim ahead. This applied to all weapons, even hit scan lasers. Projectile weapons had it worse as you had to lead your target as well as lead their lag.

Newer games that utilize server side hit detection do not have this issue. But they do come with unpredictable results. Especially with the more players condensed in an area. I know of NO mmo that uses server side hit detection, and probably because it'd be too much info to compute.

So what's the fix? SOE can say they are working on it till the end of the world. But the fact of the matter is. They have a limit of how much they can coax out of their systems. And even if they made it perfect. We still have alot of copper and glass fibers that our signal is traveling through. And thats out of SOE's ability to fix. They can adjust the tick rates to mitigate alot of the instagibbing though. But that's only part of the problem.