The writing is on the wall : LA and Infil are not used by High BRs in Squad OPS compared to Heavy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by nviee, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Posse

ITT: People who don't know how to play LA and thus believe it's UP and useless for serious squads

I'll tell all of you a secret, the guy who got the most kills on almost every match DA played on Community Clash played exclusively LA ;)

The class description doesn't need to teach you how to play the damn game.

I disagree with that, LAs are vital both to set beacons and destroy them, they're also the class with the best potential to destroy sunderers, aside from that, their effectiveness depends on the base, on Tower attacks or Bio Labs, LAs are extremely important.

Well, yeah, that's the thing LAs can't do, point holds, but they can do almost everything else. As for infils, depends on the size of the base actually, a small base won't need more than 1 infil, a bigger base might need 2 or 3.
    • Up x 1
  2. DK22

clearly over-think. why can't we just leave things alone. we're having fun. aren't we?
  3. JibbaJabba

Oh my God the whining. The epic legendary whining.

Dude HA is the meat and potatoes class. It should comprise the majority of players at any given time.

What are support classes there to support?

Some given class *has* to be in the majority...aka >20% (nod your head yes, because math)

• Should the majority of players be infiltrators?
    • Should the majority of players be light assault?
    • Medic?
    • Engineer?

Seriously if you answered yes to those last 4 questions then you are an idiot.

• Infiltrators are specialized.
    • Light assaults are specialized.
    • Medics are specialized.
    • Engineers are specialized.
    • Heavy Assaults ARE the core of the Army.

STOP THE WHINING. You do not get to have your own personal favorite class be teh winez just because you want to.
    • Up x 4
  4. Axehilt

Well apart from Bio Labs, I'd rather have those players in a Lib and/or ESFs above, if the base is exposed to air. Which gives you:
    • The same control of the roof you'd have if those players were LA.
    • The same dominance against the infantry below (ie lib bombardment)
    • But a much harder position for enemies to deal with (you can burst down LAs on a roof, but you can't do anything meaningful against aircraft unless you field vehicles of your own.)
    You get nearly all the same advantages as the LA, except from a harder to assail position. (The main advantage of the LA being that he can actually get inside the buildings -- but at that point you can see how you're better off just using another class, if you're worried about getting inside buildings.)
  5. Axehilt

Dude Liberators are the meat and potatoes vehicle. It should comprise the majority of players at any given time for outdoor fights.

^ Clearly you can see the problems involved with attempting to legitimize imbalanced classes or vehicles. Right?
  6. MostlyClueless

If you're playing an Infil in a squad there's absolutely no reason to run off ahead. Stick to the flanks or even in the center and provide incredibly valuable motion sensor coverage. Light Assaults are bringing nothing to a squad if they're not up on a roof that an Engineer couldn't do better. Infiltrators invisibility on the other hand isn't really important for defining your role in the squad. That'd done through the Motion Detector and EMP grenades.
  7. Akashar

I plussed for the work done, but I think the "bias" for HA relies on one thing: Its role is supposed to be the center of the battle, and most of the other classes revolve around supporting him. He is the most played as he is the most versatile.
    There is always a jack of all trade in an army, in ps2 it is HA.
    What I would like to see, would be a "middle ground assault" that would have a fast walking and sprinting speed, the weapons of a LA, C4, battle rifles, which unique ability may be to put a shield on like the NC max, only smaller and shorter, allowing for HS(ability is only an idea).
    This new class would occupy the newly emptied place of HAs as center of the army. A class that everybody would use, without distinction.
    I think there will always be a class every body plays, why not let it be one that is cool and does not counts on being MOAR BIGGER than the others?
  8. RyanGUK

Haven't read much into this, but my belief is that you use LA if you're getting flanked and need a squad to take a few guys from behind (lul), the Infiltrator is good for darts and motion-spotting, in fact that's like a massive thing but it's also good as a perimeter scout to take out people before they get close. That's a game-style thing though.

Engis & Medics are by far the best equipped for teamplay, you've got the shield gen for Medics as well as healing and Engis have ammo packs & they can heal both vehicles, aircraft and MAXes. If anything Engi should sacrifice even more combat equipment in exchange for these benefits, but hey that's just me.
  9. Goretzu

The difference is though that Libs are way overperforming statistically.

Where as HAs actually aren't really.

I'm mean they are 9% ish more popular in these examples (if you ignore the one the OP ignored as it didn't agree with his pre-judgement) than LA and Infs (although I suspect only as or less popular than Engis and Medics - which I suspect is again why the OP left those %'s out).

But performance-wise it's not like an average HA K/D ration is 10:1 and an average LA K/D ratio is 1:1. :confused:
  10. Dinapuff

The light assault class is great in a biolab to the point were you might consider them crucial for tipping the scales on an even fight. Outfits tend not to rely on that sort of thing. We like to believe that so long as we bring the meat and potatoes the randoms will bring the salt.

The only fault here is that SOE have designed very few bases with - infantry only - higher ground in mind. Thus the class has limited use.
    • Up x 1
  11. Axehilt

Well if we went by performance we'd be confronted with the harsh reality of MAXes being blatantly overpowered, and that would sidetrack the whole conversation.
  12. Aegie

Perhaps, except LA should not be so specialized- it should be similar in construction/use as HA in that is one of the two assault classes in the game. If you are assaulting anything then it should be a reasonable choice to bring LA but reality is a bit different.
    • Up x 1
  13. Goretzu

Maybe, but according to the OP in the same stats he looked at MAXs were very much under-played, not over-played.

But MAXs are a bit different because their K/D rather ignores the support they are getting to sustain that (a MAX without engi support simply isn't going to get high K/D rations.... will not without old Fractures or Falcons/Pounders/Blueshifts/Mercys and very conservative play anyway).
  14. Lord_Avatar

The Combat Medic plays the role of "medium assault".

- ARs, BRs, Shotguns
    - AOE heal giving increased staying power overshadowed only by the HA's overshield
    - C-4 to top things off
  15. BoomBoom4You

BREAKING NEWS: SPECIALIZED CLASSES ARE USED LESS THAN THE MORE DURABLE, WELL-ROUNDED CLASSES.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTFUL ANALYSIS, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS.
    • Up x 1
  16. Goretzu

That's the thing, I think, somehow broadening the LA class without really making it much (if any) more powerful in the places it is already powerful in.

Which would even things up a bit % player-wise, most likely.

Although I dunno that LAs should exactly equal HAs in %'s played though, as I think shooting for that probably carries some hidden issues with it as classes with widely different abilities probably can't be exactly balanced like that.
  17. Goretzu

[IMG]

[IMG]

Yep, interestingly current LAs (and probably Infiltrators) would likely be most played in a Core Combat type environment.
  18. Akashar

Yeah, I thought of that, but the heal effect places him more in support, when the shield idea I came with was more intended to "hold the line" without being as game breaking as the overshield (you wouldn't be able to shoot for a one).
    So with all these weapons and this ability, the class would be average overall, versatile, and would not be OP in half the aspect of the game. This is a soldier I could see everywhere without a second thought. I gonna post it in suggestions and ideas actually, I like it^^
  19. Axehilt

I agree with most of your post except this part. On my longest played account, DA shows 647 infltrator SPM for my 666 SPM character. It's my highest non-MAX, non-vehicle SPM. While DA's SPM-by-class calculations are a bit shaky, this part at least feels true.

So I think rewards actually favor LA/Infil over HA. It's just their toolkits are poorly suited to organized play.
  20. MorganM

They ARE being used.... just not a lot of them. Honestly that's fine and nothing is wrong here. You don't NEED more than 1 infiltrator per squad. You don't NEED more than one or two LA's per squad. You do NEED lots of medics, heavies, engineers, and sometimes MAXs. This doesn't mean infiltrators or LAs are underpowered, useless, or need a buff / some new toy. Infiltrators have been boosted so much latel despite their few nerfs. They have so many toys and playstyles to play with it's insulting to LAs who have ZERO tools.

I see nothing wrong with the class spread; it simply makes sense. You're making an issue out of something that's not broke.