An absurdly in-depth review of the Baron G5 (NS Shotgun.)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wrel, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Wrel Developer

In short, not as amazing as you'd probably like it to be.
    Let me know what you think?
    • Up x 9
  2. DevDevBooday

Cheers for the review Wrel. Really helpful.
  3. gigastar

Of course His Wrelness goes real in depth.

And remember when people were ******** themselves over the "NS Jackhammer"? Turns out the Jack is objectively better in every way, except it can only be used by HA.
    • Up x 1
  4. Maelthra

I think the only people complaining about the "NS Jackhammer" were the NC. I have a Jackhammer on my NC character and I have the Baron. Given the option, I'd take the Jackhammer every time, if only for the much faster reload time. I have been enjoying the Baron on my other characters, though.
  5. SacredRay

Baron is an awful weapon. It lulls you into a false sense of security by promising good performance at mid-range combat, which it still pales in. People with the free shotguns don't have this problem, because they know they need to get up close for the kill.

Also the aesthetics of the weapon just turn me off.
  6. Dhabu

Your videos are exceptionally good Wrel; thank you for continuing to make them.

Dhabu
  7. FishMcCool

No bullet drop on the Thanatos? Thought that had been removed due to slugs and that all shotties were now carbon copies.
  8. Wrel Developer

Slugs now have bullet drop for VS shotties, but there's still no bullet drop for the regular shot.
  9. Iridar51

Notice me senpai! Answer to my comment on youtube :)
  10. Plunutsud pls

So the Baron is basically not even worth getting over default shotguns?
  11. NinjaTurtle

As if it would matter for the ranges Shotties are used in :rolleyes: Seems a moot point

Seems like just another weapon to Auraxium nothing more
    • Up x 1
  12. FishMcCool

For all those cases you use pellets past 10m? I learned something today, lol.
  13. LIKE A BOSS!

I try to tell people this but they never understand.
  14. Ronin Oni

That's kinda meaningless though anyways.

So do we have reduced pellet velocity because of the 1337 no drop (on pellets that spread away from target anyways ffs)?

I dunno why but my shotguns feel inferior on VS comparatively. I feel like I do better with the NC/TR shotguns (not counting the JackHammer of course) but maybe it's just the shotties I ended up with aren't the exact same ones.
  15. FishMcCool

May just be model or sound. I know on NC i dislike the Claw but love the Bruiser because of that, though they're almost identical stat-wise. Can't imagine pellet velocity makes any noticeable difference at those point-blank ranges.
  16. eldarfalcongravtank

great vid, Wrel! thanks.

and i must admit i REALLY REALLY love the Baron's design, feeling and sound. especially as a vanu player who only has access to frozen fish spitting pewpew plasma o_O

but the gun's performance itself kinda sucks:
    1. low ammo capacity even with extended magazine
    2. long reload for full capacity
    3. low firerate and thus low dps
    4. misleading bullet velocity that doesn't even provide some advantage compared to other shotguns
  17. Ronin Oni

Yeah, I can't think velocity would do much either...

probably any issues I've had were just netcode sync issues.

Those "Awww... C'mon!! That was pointed at his bloody face FFS!" moments
  18. Acceleratio

Damn you really did go into detail with this one o_O
  19. Gausser 21

Ok: Wrel, as much as i love ur reviews, the baron is awful. If u want want a midrange shottie, go with the starter semi autos. Or, use a Carbine/Assault Rifle/Battle Rifle/NS-7 PDW/Scout Rifle/Commisioner/LMG. Or use a J-HAMMER.
  20. CNR4806

This is one absurdly in-depth thread necromancy.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1