[Graph] Planetside's population relative to August 2013

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chipay, Jun 13, 2014.

1. FillyFluttershy

OP? Debatable.

Highly annoying and ruinous to solid infantry combat? Yes.

Frustrating? Check
    Difficult to effectively counter from the ground? Check
    Vexes newbies? Check

In my personal play experience alone, I've had plenty of decent infantry battles ended or ruined by a lib or two showing up, sometimes from a 3rd faction who has no stake in the base. In fact, it happened last night. NC was fighting VS for their base, and apparently TR had some kind of oath to defend VS that evening. They showed up with tanks, a harrasser, and of course, the main problem that ruined the whole push for NC, Libs that no one could counter with a small squad before our sunderer was destroyed. Thanks, TR Farm Lib!

Libs are the apex predator of PS2 and have ruined many late night medium battles just because someone was Liberating SOE of its player base.
    • Up x 4
  2. Pootisman

100% agree on everything except performance. The game runs very stable for me at the moment, no CTD or FPS drops. The only performance problem i have are the hitches (1s freeze every few min).
  3. Selerox

Player numbers have been hit because the gameplay elements introduced since January haven't worked, and the overall performance (both clientside and serverside) has also gotten worse in the same time period.

It's a simple as that.
    • Up x 2
  4. Sandpants

OMFG update, no?
  5. Crashsplash

According to the update notes Feb 20th
  6. pnkdth

I'm just quoting this again. I would suggest you guys at SOE do a better job at conveying this information to more people because if everyone believe PS2 numbers are dropping in such a dramatic manner then this could seriously hurt the game, e.g, new players are less likely to start playing a dead/dying game, or might cause more experienced players "feel" like the game is empty(confirmation bias).
    • Up x 1
  7. Kunavi

No surprises here, sorry to say.
  8. libbmaster

And you know what? It will pop back up in the middle of the summer when they start rolling out the PS4 version/Hossin/cont. locking/balance updates.

This is just how things go, man.
  9. Bonom Denej

When Hossin comes out, some of my friends will probably play again.

Many of us are fine with the content and just enjoy the game as it is. Other player need new content regularily to keep being entertained and will leave when bored.
  10. xboxerdude

No one is still in school stop with that bullcrap of an excuse . reasons the game is hurting bad right now imo. Beta was really an alpha and releasing in beta was stupid as ****. Doing F2P model instead of buy one time and done. And not coinciding release with ps4. And terribly Terrible marketing like terrible beyond horrid terrible
  11. Nexium

Actually, what he's saying in that post is that the rate of decline in percentage terms is accurate, but the actual headcount is wrong. If the game has lost 30% of its population since August 2013, that's a pretty poor showing. People don't really care about the headcount because it's hard to assign any meaning to it, but if your server is 30% quieter than it was this time last year, that is noticeable.
    • Up x 4
  12. Goden

You'll have to forgive me but I don't fully believe in what PromptCritical said.

I play on Connery which is one of the more populated US servers. I am more and more frequently seeing the server nearly dead even during prime hours of the day. Sometimes it's so bad that I have to log off because there is nowhere to fight on any of the continents.
    It's getting worse as each month passes. (Although I'm not surprised in the slightest considering balance right now)
    • Up x 1
  13. axiom537

Well it has been almost 2 years since open beta. We still only have 3 maps, One new vehicle, the harasser and really not that many new guns...

Very little actually gets added to this game, people get bored and move on. There are so many things they could add to this game. Hell they already have weapons, vehicles and maps from the original Planetside they could use, but no they want to reinvent the wheel with every last thing and because of that you get incredibly slow and few new items to the game and people lose interest.
  14. ScrapyardBob

Bottom line, the developers were doing the right things from July-Dec of last year. This year, it's been nothing but failure after failure.

A big problem is the client crashes in April 2014 - that drove a lot of people away from the game.
  15. Thrasis

The real question is: Who is SoE targeting with Planetside 2? What's their target customer base?

If they're targeting kids they're screwed because kids just don't stick around very long for an FPS. They have a birthday and get a new game and they're gone and will likely never be back. My nephews go through two FPS's a year. That's kind of a conservative estimate BTW.

If they're targeting MMO gamers, well this isn't a particularly good MMO. It has the grind but it's a PvP grind and most MMOers will vanish after a few months. MMOers also tend to be older, in their 30's and 40's at this point and their reflexes suck compared to the transients kids who will pick this game up for 3 months and then move on after slaughtering dad and his buddies a few hundred times and getting bored.

The way the game is setup at this point I just don't see a long term customer base for it. That's what is going to drive the declines.
  16. SacredRay

By then, the gameplay was already compounded with mechanical issues. Many players are unaware of just how bad these mechanical issues are - either that or they just don't have the knowledge. So they attack the thing that they can see and describe and that would be the Liberator. And it's wrong. This is just an example of False Cause:

2 things happened here. The Liberator Update went live and Populations were declining which includes the slightly accelerated decline around the Liberator Update. False Cause would be to assume that because these 2 events happened at the same time, one caused the other, which in this case would be the update.

People forget that populations have been declining since January and with every update, major game breaking bugs were introduced, WITHOUT, having tackled the bugs that were persistent in the game before. How many players, after seeing yet another update filled with another round of minor cosmetic updates and number tweaking (which was what the Liberator update was), and just quit? I'm confident that this couldn't be more further from the truth.

Stop using emotive language to try and defend a largely disputable opinion. Its dishonest. These facts remain:

• Liberators carry the most firepower out of any vehicle in the game. As they should, they are 3 manned.
    • They dominate 12 v 12 and to an extent 24 v 24 fights, but are largely background in 48+'s. When have you ever seen a squad of Liberators arrive at a 48 and actually affect change in the fight? Solid Infantry combat is decided by numbers of infantry and tactics alone.
    • Frustrating and difficult to counter from the ground? Just look up, point and click. Its dead simple. Flak can't kill a Liberator solo, but it sure as hell tanks the FPS of the driver and the gunner whilst impairing vision to the point of blindness. Use it to your advantage.
    • As for vexing newbies? Don't appeal to the category of this community that has no idea what they are doing. Its unbecoming. A true newbie is more likely to get killed several times in succession by the same BR 100 Heavy Assault or by the tanks parked outside of a spawn room. The first time I got killed by a Liberator was the the first time I started flying one. I had never seen it before.
    I've had libs show up in a smaller fight I was enjoying. Do you know what me and my squad did? We shot it down as quickly as possible. It might not have been as fun, but it was effective. This self-entitlement that players have to be able to do whatever they want no matter the circumstance is sooooo damaging. Look up a game called Ninja Gaiden Black, I think that's the best example of a game that sh*ts all over player entitlement and it was one of the best games of all time because of it.
    I'm running a i5-4750k 3.8Ghz (non-OC)with 1GB MSI twin frozer graphics. 8GB ram, Asus Mother board (forgot the model), Wins 8.1 Pro yada yada. I can run the game full Ultra without going below 40FPS unless I'm taking massive amount of flak. No CTD at all since I built this rig. HOWEVER, hit detection and general latency issues are still a problem (although not a frequent one) and they shouldn't be underestimated just because you have a good machine.

It needs to be tackled and it needs to be tackled fast. In every FPS, the main formula is this:

You pick up a gun, and you go and kill someone.

If an FPS can't even do that half the time, its a big problem.
  17. Pootisman

The irony is, the desaster with the 64bit client helped the game a lot sabilitywise.

When the 64bit client was released, my game crashed every few minutes - unplayable. Devs released some fixes in the following days and the game runs very stable since then. I get 1 CTD every ~50h now, before the 64bit patch i got 1 CTD every 1-3h. The game even survives Alt-Tabbing most of the time! It was never this stable since launch for me.
    • Up x 1
  18. Scr1nRusher

HE tank rounds have been degrading the games populations ever since beta.

But does SOE ever consider removing them for the sake of there game?

probably not because they think they are "good" and "fine".

As there player base keeps getting slowly grinded down by them with new players leaving by them or players rage quitting the game and never coming back.
  19. vanu123

If you don't like tanks you have Amerish, Esimir, and Southern Indar + biolabs. Oh I'm sorry I forgot that infantry and air were the only things in the game worth a crap.:rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  20. vanu123

Wasn't that the UPGRADE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thing?