What Is The Your Definition of Range?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CJ2DaRescue2, Jun 11, 2014.

1. iller

Forgot to add one that's actually serious and might help:

299m = maximum infantry render range. IE: this is NOT controlled by that slider in your Settings, it's controlled by the server.
  2. LibertyRevolution

3. andy_m

I remember getting my first 400m headshot... Would be nice to get that kind or "range" back in the future...
  4. Sagabyte

>10m - Cqc, where a shotgun or smg is most effective
    10-40m - infantry engagement range, where most fights with automatic weapons, slugshotties, or sometimes smgs happen (aka shortmid)
    40-80m - sniper engagement range, where sniper rifles or battle rifles most excel in combat (aka midlong)
    <80m - vehicle engagement range, where armor and long-range sniper fights happen. This is also where AA becomes effective (aka longrange)
  5. Shatara

Weapon ranges aren't really a good indicator of what makes short/medium/long, because with the possible exception of the sniper rifles, they're all painfully short. Like, your typical mid-range carbine or rifle hitting minimum damage from one end of the room to the other short. SMGs and shotguns pretty much need their muzzles pressed into your enemies' throats to get any effect at all. It's like they lifted the range brackets from a typical urban closet shooter that *doesn't* have sprawling continents to fight across...

Derping around with the rangefinder implant on the test server (which BTW, is a hilarious dickslap at level 3), I found that even in towers, the shotgunners' paradise, typical engagements are over 20m. Indoors. Outdoors, you're looking at more like 100m.

So I'd say:
    CQC-15m
    Short-50m
    Medium-100m
    Long-300m
  6. FieldMarshall

SMG/Shotgun range = Short Range
    From the top of the Crown shooting down at A = Medium Range
    Better get my Rams/Longshot/Parallax if i want to be able to OHK that guy = Long Range
  7. Jeslis

CQC is simply the Min RANGE definition -- eg; if you have a gun, where the dmg fall off starts at 10meters, then that gun is good till 10 meters (note; Soft Point Ammo extends that +5 to 15 meters, works on 6m SMGs to extend their *CQC* to 11m)

Then when people talk about *What's best in CQC?* .. they simply want the best weapon within that range. Generally that's going to be the highest ROF without accuracy issues (weird jumping//horizontal recoils), and/or an Advanced Laser Attachment so that hipfire is more accurate.

^ this is what people are talking about when they say CQC.. Smart people at least ((I will admit to giving a short description, but in general, this is what CQC combat, and its discussions, revolve around)
    edit; this also of course, includes shotguns, and their discussions about pellet spread over range as well (which is why the jackhammer works for medium range too; its spread is very small.)

As for medium to long range.. thats alot more up in the air.
    If you want to nit pick it; Some people will say medium range is the range of the guns, BEFORE they hit absolute minimum dmg.
    Then when someone asks, whats the best gun for medium range, the general answer becomes; NOT a 167 gun.
    The reason for that is, 167 gun kills a non-nanoweave person in 6 shots... but 167 is usually the dmg they do at 10m .. and the moment it hits 166 dmg (11 meters no soft point), it then takes 7 shots... So the question then becomes, how long does it take to get 7 shots with a 167 gun? The normal answer is.. To long, cause they have lower rate of fire.
    This is why most people prefer the 143-125 dmg range guns as they take 8 shots to kill, but can get those 8 shots faster then most 167 guns which take 7 shots over a longer timeframe
    The 143-112 dmg range guns are also reasonable for this, but can take 9 shots at the longer range end of *medium range*, altho usually their ADS recoil patterns are easier to manage.

Finally for long range.. this generally has to do with snipers, or attempting to counter-snipe as a non-sniper class. We're talking using a 4x+ scope, and single shots.
    Because you're taking single shots, recoil patterns, First shot recoil multipliers, etc, all go out the window, and all you care about is MAX dmg per shot.
    This tends to simply favor the gun with the highest dmg at the longest range.. which usually is a 167, or in the NC's case, a 200 dmg gun.

If you have any questions for me, simply click reply on my post(and.. ya know, actually reply with the question WITH my quote), and it will alert me.
  8. DrPapaPenguin

CQC - I can spam any weapon from the hip. Medium range - I aim down sights and reliably hit my targets. Long range - I aim for the Dorito.
  9. Goretzu

Unfortunately it is very subjective to the player and to the weapon.

For example Carbine "long range" is probably LMG "medium range", for the same player.
  10. RHINO_Mk.II

I will wreck your sniper at 45m with any automatic weapon.
  11. Sagabyte

I knew I messed up on something somewhere...

<10m: CQC (Shotguns and SMGs with some carbines are king here)
    10m-40m: Average Infantry Range (Carbines and ARs often do the best here) (aka AIR)
    40m-80m: Extended Assault Range (Long range ARs, scout rifles, and battle rifles often do best here) (aka EAR)
    80-200m: Non-Specialized Exclusion Range (Basically you need a sniper rifle or armor to be effective around here, most infantry guns don't function well or at all at this range) (aka NSER)

Initials = CAEN
  12. Xhaleon

<10 meters - Hipfire Hero
    11 <> 40 - Short
    41 <> 100 - Medium
    101 <> 200 - Long
    201 <> 500 - Quick, switch to pajamas mode!

The approximate 100 meter mark would be from the far balcony of the VR training building to the furthest target on the range. If a rifle is difficult to keep on target at this distance while firing full auto, in bursts and standing still, then I cannot consider it a good ranged weapon.

If an carbine, rifle or machinegun can't even keep most shots on target (with effort) within 50 meters, and I have yet to see something that bad, then into the trash bin it goes. Even a submachinegun should be able to steal a backstab kill every now and then from 50+ meters, provided good fire control.
  13. eldarfalcongravtank

extreme-closerange = 1-4m (knife-slashing range)
    closerange = 8-15m
    midrange = 20-40m
    longrange = 60+m
    extreme-longrange = ~250+m (sniper rifle and lancer range)