Upcoming Tank and Liberator Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnamon

The main problem with this proposal is that it doesn't work like that. More drop leads to weapons like this being more suitable for very long range indirect fire support. Highly optimised for anti infantry type fire with explosive shells. For close range hitting moving targets you want something fast with no drop. I don't even know how people could imagine that the opposite is true for a moment. Someone at SOE understood this when creating the tank cannon options originally but maybe they forgot or moved to another project.
    • Up x 2
  2. Dreadnaut

I think it has too many colors (Green, Yellow, Orange, Red). I can't see the difference between the yellow and orange in most cases so I think the orange just isn't necessary. #'s would be far better but I think it has to do with performance issues with the UI that made showing #'s not feasible.

I just wish I could set my own limits for when the colors change in the Settings Menu.
    • Up x 1
  3. Dreadnaut

Who cares if he created an account 10 seconds ago and posted? Does that make what he's saying any less valid? If he created the account and started trolling, yeah, you'd have some room to complain. But a guy that creates an account and spends some time to put a well thought out post together and you try to pull some forum warrior seniority, it's just stupid.

Poojam makes sense, you do not.

/the end.
    • Up x 2
  4. Scr1nRusher

why did you quote this day old comment rather then what we are currently talking about?

0_o
  5. FBVanu

We have repeatedly asked for bases to have spawn rooms under ground, with gravity lifts and tunnels to the top. There were numerous threads about it. It would be easy to design.
    That way nobody can shoot into the spawn rooms, tanks or libs.. you have to have infantry enter the base to get to the spawn rooms.
    But SOE never responded to those ideas. Sad.
    • Up x 3
  6. minhalexus

Yea the EXP share went for all vehicles, but it affected the libs the most, since harassers are now pretty weak.
  7. OldCuban

WycliffSlim said it best.

Sadly the current state of MMOs involves most companies listening to the whiners on their forums that lack commitment and/or the skill to play well with others.

I've been subbed since day one and will likely stay subbed till they shut down the servers. That's the kind of love I have for PS2, but I do worry at how this will impact the PAYING customer base.

These nerfs were uncalled for. How do I know? Simple, I make a habit of taking out farming Liberators BY MYSELF. If I am able to take out libs solo and/or shoo them away, then they're fine. But no, that's not right, let's listen to the zombies that run around completely ignoring the Libs overhead that have killed them X amount of times already.

I always hoped this Dev team wouldn't turn into another Blizzard like team that does nothing but listen to their forum trolls. Oh well....
    • Up x 4
  8. Shaemus

As someone who does a lot of tank driving and flying none of these things sound especially good or necessary to me. Lets start with the tanks.

As a mag driver my strengths lie in accuracy at long range (well my gunner's strength really) and now you've improved that for the other factions as well by steadying the main gun. Are you going to give the mag their superior armor and firepower? How about some actual bodies of water to hover over like in PS1?

My other strength is strafing which requires semi-flat ground and enough distance from my enemies that I have time to dodge. Now you want me to get closer where I have less time to dodge and I can't strafe as friendly vehicles box me in. You've made my reverse speed faster which is great if I'm the last one to a fight and no one is behind me. (apologies in advance to all the extra friendlies I am going to run over)

If this patch is supposed to be about tanks firing on the move reducing the effective range of tank weapons makes no sense. I need room to move, that means no buildings, friendly vehicles, or crowds in my way and that means keeping my distance from the center of the fight.

If people are bored with the MBT play-style they can use Harassers and Lightnings for faster hit and run style driving so why try to make MBT's more like light vehicles?

Now Libs
    Burster maxes/skyguards already hold their own against a lib and they have an easier time seeing me and hitting me than my belly gunner has of seeing and hitting them. Now you want me to fly even lower and use guns that are more specialized to a particular target type? The lower I go the less of the target area my gunner can see. The lower I go the more I have to dodge to avoid being vaporized which makes it harder for the gunner to hit anything. I already have to run from flak with my lib on fire on a regular basis and it's usually before my gunner has killed anything but this doesn't count as risky because I didn't die?

This part of the ESF/rocket pod change seemed odd to me:
    "Lowering their effectiveness against vehicles further defines the Liberator as the anti-vehicle air option."

so if a vehicle is only supposed to be good at one thing why have rocket pods at all? And ESF's aren't exactly great at attacking ground as is. Flak rips them up in a hurry and I can't remember the last time an ESF killed me with rocket pods as a tank or infantry without help. I can kill an MBT with my rocket pods if everything goes perfectly. I have to catch the tank unawares and empty the rocket pods into its back at close range and pull up before before hitting something. At that altitude I am vulnerable to every weapon in the game including the MBT's main gun which is a ridiculous thing to be shouting planes with. Plenty of risk for only occasional reward as is.

If you're going to change ESF's I'd like to see a comparison of the targetable surface area of a mosquito compared to a scythe.

This patch seems like a solution in search of a problem.
    • Up x 3
  9. Scr1nRusher

I think your confusing personal ability with actual reality.

liberators are in a wonky place, They need to have there place(as in role such as AV & anti infantry clusters), not just sitting over spawns and such.
  10. PKfire

They have their place and do things other than camp spawns. However, with base/spawnroom designs being as poor as they are, there are a great deal of players who frequently take advantage and the Liberator is the best tool to do it with. The problem does not inherently lie with the tool, as is the common belief, but rather the environment. That is reality.
    • Up x 3
  11. Deadreach

I see what your saying, And would agree, As the pilot, i dont agree with the reason of the nerf(To bring the Tankbuster to the Sub-par levels of its "brother" guns.

But this patch/nerf is going to once again, make the liberator extremely hard to play with, and not worth the airresources becuase this game forces vehicles to be CQC.

The Lib is currently NOT an AC130, Nor has it EVER been(by mechanics of the game) a LONG RANGE, High Altitude Bomber. This patch, Is making that even more so. LOWER velocity of a ******* 150mm Gun. a 150mm Gun that shoots a slower round then revolvers, OF THE WEST.

IF, and im mean IF, you want to be able to keep claiming the lib being a High Altitude bomber with balance, Here are MY suggestions.

1. Make Nose guns more aimed towards a Minimum dog fighting ability, to punish straight flyers.
    2. Redefine and CHANGE all the weapons. Ei: Dalton, High Velocity AP(Nosplash) Round, TankKiller, Zephyr, Medium Velocity Heat Round, Magazine, Area Suppresion, Armor Suppression. Duster, Medium velocity HE round, Massive Magazine Area Denial, AI weapon. The Chaingun which names escapes me at the time of writing this. Make it Either a Banshee type weapon, Small burst HE Rounds that are good at targeting and killing Infantrymen and maxes. Or make it a finess Armor Supproser with SABOT rounds that is good for plugging away at more mobile/agile armor like tank columns, But not this awkard Hybrid.
    3. Give it Armor up the ***, Or Speed and Agility. Not both, This is OP. I know.(Max Auto Repair/Fire Suppress/Thrusters, I know)
    4. Remind infantry, Like your tooltips do on loading screen, that its completly free or relativly cheap to Become a heavy/Burster Max, be a hero and get a flak lightning, etc.
    5. Low/Dismal Ammo Reserves. Make it so infantry has the chance to fan out by forcing pilots/gunners to maintain bearing on resupply points and ammo counts, The time to move is on the reload, So force the reload.
    6.INCREASE RENDER RANGE FOR VEHICLES. Jesus H. Have the devs played their own game in a while. AV maxes/Turrets can plug away at vehicles and aircraft at ranges of 0-600 Easy, and when do the tanks even have a chance to render them? somewhere between 350-450m. THEN you want to bring us in closer to the death box, by unrealisticly/gamebreakenly ruining Tank cannon Velocities. It is Completly Unbalanced that ainfantryman renders at 400, but aircraft render at 1000+
    And this applies to everything, Give us the option to change Loadouts. This will stop the people pushing the envolope on loadouts and forcing them to be something their not. Infantry can be 5 different Classes with Infinite possible tasks to complete, without a resource cost(Utility Stockpile) while it costs a death and 450Resource to get a new vehicle, which is just as much a part of the available playstyles of this game, as being a foot soldier.

Look. Scrn, Youve been posting to every reply with the same canned AC130 l2p right bs for days. But it appears you dont see that, Even if pilots wanted to play the "intended" way, Gameplay Mechanics/Rendering/Velocities/Etc. prevent the GUNSHIP playstyle.
    So how about trying your suggested playstyle before coming and telling pilots who have been flying and spending money and certs on planes tanks and automobiles(Harraser) that we are all idiots and we cant see the difference between a blatant uncalled for nerf and a gameplay mechanic buff.
    -Deadreach. BR73 Pilot/Tank Commander. TR.
    • Up x 2
  12. Scr1nRusher

all this could have been seemly avoided if SOE gave the liberator a proper role(as a long range bomber/Ac-130 like) in the first place...

its a shame that SOE messed the mechanics up so they haven't been able to do this role properly.

Deadreach I am really annoyed over this as you can tell.

like the role it should fill is clear, but SOE failed to have it do this.
  13. Scr1nRusher

when they do.....they never use vehicles or aircraft....

which would explain why liberators became what they became and how HE tank rounds are still in the game.
  14. PKfire

It could also explain all your unconstructive posts in an important thread regarding vehicles where people are trying to find balance and compromise amidst a great deal of impending change.
    • Up x 2
  15. Scr1nRusher

but I use vehicles & aircraft 0_o

And I'm not trying to come off unconstrutive.

I want the liberator changes & tank changes to be done correctly, I don't want SOE to screw up on this.
  16. LT_Latency

Liberators where a horrible idea from day one. A fast, high mobilty, heavily armor unit with extreme fire power the was just bad planning. A unit with heavy armour and heavy firepower should be slow so It can be overwhelmed by faster units

This is compounded by the fact that they simply make the game less fun for everyone else. This is usually how it goes down.

A massive ground battle takes place. No one has AA because they are busy fighting the ground battle.

A liberator shows up and nukes everyone back into the spawn. The ground units have to switch boring AA maxxes and just sit there until there is enough of them to get the Liberator to leave. The AA mostly likely won't kill it just get it to leave. Then you are suck with a worthless AA maxxes with nothing to shoot. While the libby keeps raining down death. There is just nothing fun here for the people on the ground.
    • Up x 5
  17. Klypto

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  18. nerubath

https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428109895915305265/vehicles

Yeah.. you are a very experienced lib pilot scr1nrusher... who told u that the liberator is meant to fight on long ranges?

That does not work in the most situations... thats because of slow bulletspeed, high damange fall of, bullet drop, spraying, render distance and because of the fact that the enemy has usually alot of esfs in the skies. If u make yourself an easy target while hovering on 700m wihile your gunner is not hitting anything u get farmed without making a single kill.

if u want to make kills in a lib u really have to fight! Waiting for a farm does not work!

nerfing the liberator tank and so on has only one reason.... THEY DON'T WANT U TO FARM THE VALKYRIE! that has nothing to do with balancing it's all about making the new aircraft playable. I only heard some things about the valkyrie and ofcourse i do not know how it will be if the work is done. But in the current situation i think that this vehicle cannot work aslong as there are heavy hitting vehicles in the game. tankbuster, ap rounds, dalton, rocketpods, dumbfire and so on.

getting sandwiched between air and ground without making kills, having fun or whatever would be pretty annyoing and it would be really bad for soe if they put alot of work into a new vehicle without any $uccess
  19. MasterFancyPants

You know what's funny a week ago all your (you being lib farmers) opinions on libs were "they're fine, we're just super skilled, git gud scrubs"
    And now that a heavy handed nerf is coming it's "people are trying to find balance and compromise amidst a great deal of impending change"

Maybe you all should have been concerned with balance before SoE took action. Instead, you just got all the farm while you could.
    • Up x 3
  20. nerubath

ahh.. before i forget...

@sc1ntusher do u really think average 4kill per hour are too much? Or that this is farming?

to everyone who is flaming and complaining here... aslong as u do not know anything about flying a liberator, stop talking!

one last thing.. watch your deathscreen dude! there are your last 100 deaths.. and u only died TWO TIMES!!!! to a liberator.. u even suicided more than that.. got killed may times more by C4, Tank mines, halberd, heat and ap rounds, rocketlaunchers, grenades, esfs and so on... EVERYTHING IN THIS GAME MADE MORE KILLS THAN THE LIBERATOR!

I absolutely cannot understand your point of view!
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.