[Suggestion] NO firing while overshielded

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by SmokeMcCloud, Jun 2, 2014.

1. lawn gnome

something probably needs to be done, but taking away our ability to fight entirely is a bit much. it's not like we are turning invisible at will or something.

i am generally in favor of the heavy shield having a short charge up time after it is first activated. this is from someone who spends about half his time as a heavy assault.
  2. MajiinBuu

Engineers shouldn't be able to shoot after deploying an ammo pack
  3. Ripshaft

Medics shouldnt be able to heal after pulling their heal tool
    • Up x 3
  4. geekrider

Light Assaults shouldn't be able to fly with their jetpacks
    • Up x 4
  5. boehenekey

You assume that it would be used purely defensively. I can see 48 sheilded heavives walking into a cap point and getting ready to shoot everything.
  6. lawn gnome

while taking fire the whole way. even if you double the players hit points being able to shoot him without him being able to shoot back is going to give you a major advantage. i would gladly take two enemies who can't shoot over one that can.
    • Up x 1
  7. Shiaari

Fail. LMGs have relatively low DPS.
  8. boehenekey

Not all of them would be sheilded.
  9. Pathogenic

Bahaha. The thought of being able to shoot while cloaked (to reverse the logic in the OP). Oh man, the tears.

But, in some cases, I *would* prefer not being able to shoot with the overshield, if it meant I could move at normal speed, actually lead the charge, and soak the initial damage coming out of a location.

Shield 1: The RS.
    Shield 2: 1000 HP, can't fire with it on, 0.5s activation delay, no HP decay but can't be turned off, must be at full charge to activate.
    Shield 3: 2000 HP, front damage (and a bit to the sides of the front) protection only, can't fire, 2s to equip and deequip, only recharges while inactive.

HP numbers more for relative values than their exact numbers. But those are 3 shields that I would definitely find uses for in a variety of cases.

The RS is already my go-to shield, since ASC/RS/Saw is godmode at point to point advancing or defending.

Shield 2 would be basically the NMG nerf as I see how it should go. Adding the delay means it needs a durability buff. The lack of a slow makes it the "Oh f***" button, or for rocketeers who are actually fighting vehicles.

Shield 3 is basically the MAX shield retooled for the HA, yeah. But it's a needed thing. And the "shield" class not having a forward shield is silleh.
  10. gregfox89

Except the shield makes you run extremely slowly and makes you a priority target. Turning your shield on when you're trying to retreat will get you killed twice as fast.
  11. KnightCole

But the shield doesnt actually soak that much.

The **** hit detect has more to do with the heavy appearing OP and the shield seeming really good, more so the nthe shield actually being all that amazing.

Give us normal hit detect and proper TTK and BTK, or atleast closer to what it used to be, one would find the Shield isnt as an IWIN button as onewould think.

It only buys the HA like 4 more bullet max....maybe 5 on a NWA5, Resist 5 HA.

And being unable to fire while shielded, that would be very ********...
  12. Pathogenic

I'm not 100% sure you got the gist of what I was saying; it's my fault for not being clear.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the NMG. IMO, it's weak, so I run RS/ASC anyway. But that also means a delay doesn't sound like the end of the world to me as I'm used to it, especially if it was met with some other buffs. I mostly just support a mechanical change with overall buffs to it, but not really loudly since it's probably just a playstyle thing.

As for the shield ideas in general, I meant that I would like some shields that were skewed more defensively at the cost of offensive power as options in *addition* to shields like the ones we have now. I use RS/ASC because it lets me act as a bullet magnet almost constantly, and my Effective HP is higher over time than with an NMG. I enjoy tanking in the RPG sense of the word. So, being able to use a frontal shield without having to pull a MAX would be awesome to me.
  13. racksmey

The ideal of removing the ability to shot while cloaked as a heavy makes me laugh. I find this funny, because why would anyone attack a heavy when his over shield is on. You could run away or around them and wait till the shield uncloaks then kill them.

For me as a player I don't see any situation that I would need a stronger shield over shooting. This change would mean I attack turn on my shield run to a medic or sundy and heal. Then go back into battle. This would not solve anything, it would just make matters worse.
  14. Mxiter

Maybe because if infiltrators could fire while cloaked, those would be completely broken?

HA lose some mobility while overshielded, making it more vulnerable to slow projectiles (explosives generallly) and from headshots.

It's also deseigned to be the frontal assault class, not the flanking one (LA/Inf) or support class (Engie/medic).

And TTK, even with the shield are that fast that the shield should be 10 times stronger to be useful if the HA couldn't shoot with it.

Even to reaching a point out of cover, it's a bad plan to actually activating it since it slow your down and makes your much more vulnerable/easyer to aim.
  15. Tyrant103

lol@thread.

plz close
    • Up x 1
  16. Whatupwidat

No, much, MUCH more annoying :p
  17. IberianHusky

OP is buttmad because he got killed by a heavy and is now crying on the forums for nerfs. Nothing to see here, folks.