Upcoming Tank and Liberator Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliteEskimo

These Liberator nerfs are only going to make the people who like flying mad and make another part of the game boring. If you want to make Liberators balanced undo the resistance against tank shells/dumbfires, make skyguards do more damage against them at close ranges so Liberators can't 1v1 them from point blank without flanking them, and make liberators more loud. Nothing else is needed....

The Tank velocity nerfs are also unnecessary unless all infantry AV weapons have their ranges reduced as well, how else will we plink infantry using lock on launchers from 300 meters away at AV turrets from 450 meters way? Tank velocities as a whole are well balanced, nerfing them to make them behave more like HE rounds will make the game more dull and will make infantry in the open field even more deadly against tanks than they are now.
    • Up x 7
  2. Goden

I like everything on this list apart from tank velocity decreases.
    • Up x 1
  3. Cougarbrit

Seriously though, RIP vehicle vs vehicle gameplay. Infantry engagement ranges are now canon, anything beyond that is breaking the rules guys.

Don't worry though, this is to help prevent vehicles farming infantry, by forcing them into infantry render range.
    • Up x 4
  4. Jalek

Will this put AV turrets out of tank range again? That should work well.
    With so many changes, there are lots of possible unintended consequences.
    • Up x 2
  5. PKfire

Most Liberator farming takes place ~50-100m, the velocity reduction (ment to throttle engagement ranges) only serves to hinder player's who do things other than crush swaths of spawning infantry. So, well done Sony, wish I could down vote for your lack of perception.

Also, when it comes to the overwhelming use of the Tank Buster, it's not so much how much better it is than the other options (though it could definately be toned down) but rather how garbage the other choices are. Your new "free look" weapon only looks up. How fantastic.

Your Liberator update only served in giving the vehicle two things people wanted (tail range of motion and shared xp) while giving a handful of trash and changes that no self-respecting Lib crew desired that only made players belonging to other aspects of the game irate. Now look where we are.

I, as well as most others, aren't going to ragequit over things like this so you can sleep easy knowing that, but if you recieved grades based off your past performance updating and balancing vehicles, you would probably be flunking out of game development.
    • Up x 10
  6. nerubath

In my opinion Kevmo has no clue what's going on in this game...

alltogether i have a libertor flying time of 35 DAYS and thats why i really cannot understand why soe has to nerf the lib! In my opinion they should nerf the esfs nosegun effective range and reverse flying. so u would be able to reach groundtargets as a liberator.. and ofcourse anti air woul be able to destroy esfs.

i say that because i see everyday how i die or barely escape while i am getting shot on 1000m + while esfs are farming in the areas that are unplayable for a liberator. So.. if u cannot reach ground targets u have to fight airtargets and against noobs that works perfectly fine but against good pilots that do not fly in a straight line u have no chance! And thats not a fight then, they are just farming u. Next think is, that i do better against air AND ground in an esf than in a liberator. OK ! Lol pods get nerfed.. yeah...

another point that i not get is, that we got 3 new weapons which are totally useless and instead of making them usefull they make the old weapons even more useless so u are forced to play the new, bad weapons now.

the most changes in this game stand in no relation to the current gameplay situation and that makes the player stop playing this game.

btw. i do far more kill in a tank, max, esf and even as infantry than in a liberator and that with lower risk. the only reason for living long in my liberator is that i have alot of experience and every time i see a difficult spot i fly away.... ofcourse i do no kills because of that.

and how do u think i can support my outfit/squad while i am in a liberator? there is absolutely no chance to participate in real fighting situations?

one last thing.. i am less dying to liberator than to c4, rocketlaunchers, esf, tanks, maxes, infantry... if a liberator comes i just enter a building and wait 2 seconds for it to die... if it is shooting with the dalton i do not care because they need usually 3 or 4 shots to kill if i am moving or standing on a hill or another bumpy area. because splash does not work then and direct hits are bugged...

whatever.. i cannot understand how decisions are made by soe.
  7. TriumphantJelly

So... The Magrider's gonna be useless now? For how long? Cos I don't want to further delay Hossin, RR or cont. lockig/lattice, but if these changes are made, the Mag will UNDENIABLY be the worst tank in the game. I won't go as far as the worst vehicle, but think about it. At least with a Flash you can C4 it and shove it up another tank's rear end, the Mag is already the slowest vehicle in the entire game, and the largest land vehicle, there's not much going for it. Ah well, maybe this'll give the Devs a reason to re-work it?

Nah, that's silly, it'll never happen.
    • Up x 1
  8. Hauser

Kevmo, question:

How will racer and rival chassi performance slots interact with the tank speed changes? Will racer chassis also boost reverse speed? Will rival affect reverse acceleration?

9. Stroff

When a dedicated tanker, that I'm pretty sure I've seen hating on Liberators before, thinks some Lib nerfs are excessive, you know SOE went waaay overboard...
    • Up x 6
  10. Frostbitten

+1 with being dedicated tanker and hating libs and thinking this lib nerfhammer is a bit excessive.

EDIT: I now see that "Kevmo" is in charge of this BS. Everytime this guy tries to balance something - it ends with severe OP or blatant nerf.
    • Up x 2
  11. TriumphantJelly

These changes....

******* RIDICULOUS!!!
  12. Cougarbrit

I dunno, I think this might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me.
    • Up x 3
  13. Sid6dot7

SOE's speciality - while changing too many things too drastically at once, much more unintended ones appear.
    • Up x 1
  14. Myka

Awful changes. It really does feel as if the developers have no idea how their game plays in reality. Only a seriously skewed perspective could come up with changes like this.

What's worse is that it actively tries to correct old mistakes (the introduction of the Duster, which had absolutely no role) by damaging existing equipment that does have a role. The AI role was perfectly well served by the zephyr, and instead of shoehorning it into roles that were already covered, it should have been a completely different type of weapon - dumb bombs, infantry-designated missiles, anything that would have actually provided new gameplay and not simply retread old ground.

Any lib user knows how ineffective the belly guns are at range. It is difficult to judge drop and range with the belly guns as they are now (except shredder), making them only really effective against stationary targets. Lowering velocity further will only reinforce that. Couple this with the health changes and you instantly exclude libs from larger battles - forcing them into small ones, which exacerbates the farming problem.

If you want Libs to be the 'premiere' AV solution, then increase velocity slightly on the Dalton, leave the zephyr as is (since it is mostly ineffective against anything but big infantry clumps anyway at the moment), then bin the duster and replace it with dumb AV bombs. Dumb bombs would give the lib utility in larger battles, making short, infrequent runs rather than being forced to hover. Bomb-equipped libs cannot farm (long reloads, AV bombs have almost no splash, less ammo) in smaller battles anywhere near as effectively. Health and resistance should remain as they are currently. Survivability has always been an issue for libs, and the recent changes were well balanced - libs still die very fast to enemies with even an ounce of sense.

Tankbuster should stay as is. It has a 90% equip rate because it's the only one that's effective. Buff the other nose guns before nerfing the TB.

As for tanks, well. In principle, a bit less range and velocity across the board isn't a bad thing. However, this change, coupled with the movement changes is going to **** the magrider heavily. The mag is already verging on uncompetitive compared to it's counterparts, so it may need small buffs to keep up.

ESF changes are fine. The AH has been too strong for a while, especially against libs. If the lolpods are going to be nerfed against tanks, then Hornets should get velocity and damage buffs, and pods should have their splash increased to make them more of an AI weapon.
    • Up x 1
  15. Takoita

While the OP contains enough awesome for me to give it the thumbs-up, I am not so hot on some of the details.

For instance: tank shell velocity reduction. Why? If tanks are gonna become that much more manoeuvrable than before, we'll need all the velocity we can get. Please don't force tank battles within grenade throwing distances.

Anchor mode on the Prowler: this looks like a receipt for disaster. Probably the same goes for Magrider with Vanguard seemingly benefitting the most. Please look into secondary consequences of such a huge change.

Rival chassis? I've already had my doubts if my rank 2 rival on the Prolwer added any reverse speed at all, maybe this should get looked at?

Tankbuster, while probably OP, will not get suddenly unequipped by anyone if all the other guns remain garbage.

The same with most other Liberator changes; while resistance values against unguided projectiles being revereted and limiting reserve ammo counts are sorely needed, the problem of Libs reamaining too fast and tough against Skyguards and other dedicated AA units is seemingly unaddressed. They either need to be less blase in the face of AA fire or they need to be much less nimble to allow enemy air or tank squads that caught the Lib unawares a serious advantage.

Shredder is cool, don't nerf it too much. Zephyr and Dalton should really be swapped out for bombs like the ones in Planetside to discourage 'floating baloon of death' and encourage strafing runs, yes, but Shredder needs more love. Make Shredder available as a main cannon replacement on MBTs and AI base turrets, please.

ESF rocketpods should not have been in this game. Period. Until you have not removed them from the single most fast and agile aircraft of the game, you haven't nerfed them enough. Ground attack weaponry such as this should be in Liberator's purview.
  16. NDroid

While I welcome the turret stability changes the Magrider needs further adjustments with the new balance. Right now the ability to fire on the move is one of its main strengths but with stabilized turrets it will be the worst and slowest at it due to be being slower and having no turret. If it is to keep its mobility advantage the stock strafing speed needs to be greatly improved, ideally to match the forward one.

Regarding the turret velocities, I'm not sure that of the Magrider's can be lowered further- it's already painfully slow with the running joke being that firing it feels like a catapult. Are the planned changes going to bring the velocities of the other cannons down to similar levels?

Also, the Magburner still needs improvements.
    • Up x 3
  17. Cougarbrit

I don't actually know of any SOE employees who are capable vehicle players. That might not be true, as there's plenty of employees lurking in the shadows with little community exposure, but as far as I'm concerned, SOE has a very blinkered perspective of the combined arms aspect of their combined arms game. Because I'm sure as hell no halfway decent vehicle player could have come up with the majority of these proposed gameplay changes. Sounds like they were thought up in an echo chamber to me.
    • Up x 8
  18. King Feraligatr

I feel so happy for all but ditching this game for PS1. PS1 pops are bad and I know PS1's time is limited before it dies again, but at least PS1's development is done and it will likely never be changed again. Who cares if I'm awful at PS1? Besides it doing many things better (but it's not as good as the vets make it out to be), I don't have to deal with bad, questionable updates like this. As we know, PS2 is in the drain and is going further down going it and I doubt it will recover. I'd rather have no development than bad development, so that's one of the reasons I continue to stay in PS1. (try it though, it's free as all of you know). (I chose nicer words than what I actually feel)

Edit: On topic, some things I agreed with, like the Lib getting some kind of nerf because they where too good. But all this? What the heck?! And as some people said, what the heck is with some these weird changes? I was reading the OP and wondering "What the heck?". Anyways, I'll see you in the original Planetside.
  19. Puppy

I felt Liberators and ESFs were both underpowered against ground vehicles and the armor was decently balanced. Armor isn't supposed to go into a death trap area near infantry. It's supposed to stay a bit back and kill. That's the point. Personally I think they needed a slight buff. This is more of a nerf in my opinion. Making them designed towards close quarters isn't a good thing I think.
  20. Richard Nixon

I've actually had a couple nightmares about the PPA. That thing is more demoralizing than the pre-nerf striker was.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.