Upcoming Tank and Liberator Changes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kevmo, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alarox

I can give you... 4
    1.) Can strafe in all directions.
    2.) Can strafe keeping front armor forward.
    3.) PPA
    4.) Some people can use the Magrider's lower velocity to hit things over cover effectively.
  2. Morchai

Liberators were clearly too hard to damage.

As to their tank busters, the other day I was running my skyguard and took a few pot shots at a liberator. Knowing I couldn't kill it I tried to haul *** before it could locate me. It came up behind me and started firing. My undamaged tank blew up in about two seconds of sustained fire. If that gun had been doing one third of the damage it did it still would have killed me in about six seconds.

I doubt the nerf will be close to that bad. Libs will still be deadly to tanks.
  3. vanu123

Like I said lasher is by far the best heavy weapon, it needs a nerf, beamer is OP, nees to do 15 damage to the head within 5 meters to be fair, we can't have a burst pistol because that wouldn't be fair for the other factions, we arn't allowed to have a faction trait either because no bullet drop is JUST WAY TO GOOD, the NC and TR both need a 1000 RPM weapon with 300 damage to be balanced along with a vanguard shield just to be sure its fair for them.
  4. vanu123

Strafing is only viable at long range, which if these go through will no longer happen because the range has already taken a huge hit.
    Every tank should have its front towards the enemy anyway.
    LOL the PPA? Give me my 1 shot saron back. Besides PPA does nothing against tanks
    So we already have the most bullet drop for the faction that is supposed to have 0 bullet drop, with SOE adding more gravity our shells will go at most 10 feet.
    Like I said before we won't be able to use the hit and run tactics that made the mag sorta viable because every tank can do that now, only the prowler and vanguard can trade blows, the magrider can't.
    • Up x 1
  5. minhalexus

I don't think I'm biased.

NC is my main, VS is my alt.

I just want a balanced yet unique game while playing either of them.
    • Up x 1
  6. minhalexus

For all the VS:-

We still don't know the drop changes. So lets hope the devs make the magrider, the most accurate of the 3 MBTs, with its accuracy only comparable with an anchored prowler.
  7. Divinorium

So nothing change. Weapon stabilization is only useful if you are moving.

And if a tank has it's front to you it means he can't use it's speed to dodge to the side.

A shell that would hit the tank would still hit the tank if he was 3 meters forward or backward. So the enemy moving would likely result in the same end: being hit. Since he will still be hit by your shoot even if moving he gains nothing from moving what also means he gains nothing from weapon stabilization.

You can only cry about magrider nerf if the enemy is with it's side to you, so now he can actually dodge the incoming fire. But now he has it's side to you.

PS: like i've said in a early post, we don't even know the numbers of these changes, in special the numbers on the shell speed nerf. It's way too early to cry about the magrider getting nerfed.

I know vanu love to cry for no reason but hold your tears.
    • Up x 2
  8. Ryouhki

>With the above three changes combined we hope to see tanks more involved in the battle. They have to get in closer which is more interesting

oh' somehow I get the feeling that the NC's population is going to increase a lot,,
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  9. Gables

The results of these changes will be... tank zergs..tank zergs everywhere!

Also, hey guys we're going to give you a lib update. Just kidding! We're just going to nerf you to make you worse than what you were before! But don't worry, we're rolling out this sweet new aircraft in a couple months. I hear it's going to be cool and stuff. It might help you forget the pain.
    • Up x 3
  10. Divinorium

Well i demand a indigenous' horn for my Lightning then.

Because with these changes, Armored combat will look pretty much like this.
  11. minhalexus

The biggest buff libs got, was the back gunner's improved angle.

If that's not nerfed then its still better than bfore.
  12. Jerox

Not sure how reducing the bullet velocity of Lib belly guns is gonna give ground forces more time to react.
    Unless if they're gonna slow it down to like a few meters a second lol.
    Other than that all the gunners have to do is lead a bit more. Infantry ground targets still wont stand a chance.

Tank range nerf seems fine to me. Right now they've got some decent range and I think it could be a little less.
    The reverse speed buff is awesome as I often died when a tank surprised me and I had to turn around first in order to make an escape (as reverse is about just as slow as walking/sprinting on foot -.-)
  13. Wizard0fOz

Everything looks pretty bad about this "update" but I can live with everything except the tankbuster "change". It is just fine how it is, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even have a silver medal with it. Turn the vektor and spur into anti-air weapons (higher damage than walker, same velocity or something like that) to make them just as good as the tankbuster. The tankbuster is supposed to BUST TANKS, not air, so adding AA noseguns will make me consider switching out the tankbuster
  14. Elrobochanco

If the only option being going forward is not a good option and overly punishing does that also count for magburner which only does that exact thing? Will we finally get something a bit more unique than a passive cert on the harasser? Seriously that first paragraph is a literal description of using magburner in a situation you don't control.

What does this mean for magriders who area already balanced for having a stabilized forward locked turrets with a laughable projectile velocity? Is that the baseline others will drop to? Will everyone having a stabilized turret and lower velocity mean that the magrider will get something different to balance its fixed firing angle? Will we all be back to pre-buff viper levels of arc?

To not just focus on VS, if tanks in general are meant to be engaging each other and infantry much closer, what is the expected faction differences going to be? Will the vanguard still be expected to soak more damage? Is the prowler meant to zoom somewhere then plop down... much closer to enemies? How is magrider mobility expected to be worth anything in even shorter ranges?

I understand these notes were likely meant to be a soothe to infantry vs tanks, but it's a whole giant can of worms for tank vs tank that is kind of glossed over.
    • Up x 5
  15. BellyLintFarmer

There's no way I'd be able to not respond to these proposed changes. Reducing tank range is probably the most poorly-thought-out game change I've heard yet. It already takes skill to lead a target in a tank main-gun, yet you're deciding to make it more about luck than skill. You are slowly eroding what makes this game so great: the multi-pronged gameplay. The mana turret range pre-nerf was a bit much, but now I hardly ever use the damn thing. Please don't do this to my tanks too. As for the reverse speeds, I don't know if I like the idea of same-speed reversing, but I do like the idea of increased reverse speed.

As for the liberator changes, I agree that the lib resistances should be reverted and there should be a more noticeable sound for when liberators are nearby. That being said, nerfing the tankbuster while we continue to have no good options for a nose-gun is not an acceptable method of balance. Make the other options more lucrative, don't make it so the only useful option is no longer useful. Lowering the projectile speed and increasing the gravity multiplier for the belly guns is also just thoughtless. It already takes quite a bit of skill to accurately hit targets with them. Especially moving targets. Slowing the projectiles won't help ground units much at all, but will only serve to severely cripple the liberator in the air. There are people who've spent many hundreds of hours in a dalton seat practicing, only to find out their honed timing and leading skills will become completely wasted.

Please think through your changes. So many people have re-subscribed recently because the game was just starting to show some promise of improvement. And so soon after the all-access discount celebration, you're going to pull this off on us? I had more faith in the team than this. I expected more from you.
    • Up x 3
  16. iller

teehee... "slower projectiles" ... now every belly gun is a duster. :D

Too bad this means all the Air Chav teams will just go back to Lolpodding 24/7 like they did in between the Lib "farm days"
    (then they'll wonder why every single battle has atleast 4 Bursters/Skyguards in place before they even got 1 fly-over)

That, or the unthinkable will happen, and people will actually try to get good with Hornets (lol who am i kidding?)
  17. FaLI3N

It isn't like the dedicated tankers just want you all nerfed into oblivion. Just like your old dedicated libbers didn't want to be buffed to be OP. Tankers are so angry because libs are completely broken at the moment but that doesn't make the good ones vindictive and petty. We want interesting engagements and good battles, neither of which are possible with the current iteration of the lib.
  18. Nody

Except dodging incoming tank shells / C4 faries and weapon stabilization was given as a reason why the Magrider should be kept at lowest damage, lowest armor, lowest speed, require most maneuvering space, no turret, slowest shell and largest tank size. Now those reasons are going away and there's nothing in the patch notes how the Magrider is going to be kept competitive ...

They are removing two of the main things that made the Magrider unique; no matter the numbers that's a nerf short of them coming up with two new unique characteristics and a new ES ability (as they recognized that going forward fast is not always a good thing in tank battles).

The reason VS is worried is there's no faith in them pulling that one off and the Magrider will once again sit ignored for a year with a useless tank (like the previous round of nerfs which ended up with all of the nerfs being reversed back except shell speed when the Devs realized that actually the problem was not the Magrider but the opposition). Today you're more likely to spot multiple Vanguards or Prowlers then you are a Magrider. I don't care about gun velocity; I'll adjust around it but the simple fact is that with the above notes the Magrider will be put on the scrap yard again because there's no reason to pull one. Anything it had going for it will be removed beyond the odd HE/PPA farmer or the newbie who pulls one thinking it can actually counter a MBT of the enemy. It will turn into the ZoE of MBTs and being with out one ES ability is enough...
    • Up x 1
  19. PastalavistaBB

Nerf Tank Shell velocities even more? RIP Anchor Mode and the Prowler.

Most of the massive incoming nerfs to the Liberator can only be explained with what happened to the Viper Lightning: Got a bit of a buff that wasn't really requested, everybody started to use it, then it got nerfed into Oblivion after everybody started to whine about it. It's SOE's nerf tactic for every AI weapon that is even remotely useful. They make PLAYERS to want that nerf so badly, that anybody who doesn't agree with it, gets ridiculed. Inb4 incoming PPA nerf.
    • Up x 1
  20. Cougarbrit

BRB, stealing PS2 source code so I can offshoot development myself.
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.