looking for a forward observer either Marine 0861, or army 13F

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ghost001985, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Halcyon

[IMG]

PS1 did it.
    Why can't we have it in PS2.
  2. ghost001985

lets say your outfit get a new guy, do you want to set there and explain every little thing to him, or have him watch a video?

or lets say, that guy just came from another outfit that does this. with unified signal you or him wont be confused about whats going on

if you saw i was at 13 kills. which isnt that bad, but your right i should have got more with a full load of bulldog, and i dont always get the kill, but i at least weaken them up for other people to kill.

after the FO gets me on to target, he is no longer needed. so he can go off and do his own thing.
  3. ColonelChingles

The biggest problem that I found was that the Bulldog simply travels in too straight an arc to be used for indirect fire.

For instance, in the video you linked it's essentially direct fire done from elevation. As a general rule, if you must have direct line-of-sight to your target to hit it, then it's not indirect fire.

My outfit once tried to investigate whether it was possible to use the Lightning Viper, Bulldog, or Fury as an indirect fire weapon.

[IMG]

This was the M40 Fury test. It was the best option, but even then not that great for indirect fire. The target is about 250m away, and the arc is already pretty shallow. At best you could fire over a gentle hill or something... but nothing spectacular.

[IMG]

This was the M60 Bulldog. Target is still at 250m. Raised a bit higher than the Fury, but the Fury had the benefit of a firing arc that dropped significantly after a certain distance, while the Bulldog maintains a pretty smooth arc the entire time. Also the Bulldog has more significant recoil, making it much more difficult to maintain repeated hits (I was using the marks in the VR sky to keep track, but obviously those aren't in the actual game). The Fury doesn't really have recoil, it just disperses its shots in a cone.

[IMG]

The was the C75 Viper. A closer 200m target, but the Viper barely has to be elevated at all. The Viper shoots far too straight to make it a viable indirect fire weapon.

So there you have it. After testing, my outfit figured that indirect fire really wasn't going to happen. Weapons in PS2 simply don't have the necessary arc to perform as artillery in an indirect fire manner. I mean, not that you can't just bombard things, but generally you're going to have to do it in a way where you have a direct line-of-sight to the enemy anyhow, so you really don't need a spotter to correct your shots.
  4. AirborneCarrot

a bulldog farming spawn room doors from behind a rock is perfectly viable.
    but your fo just needs to sit on top of said rock and it'll be all done and good, "left a bit, right a bit, drop a bit, add a bit"
  5. Iridar51

That's my point. You're gonna have to sit there and explain every little thing to him anyway.
    What other outfit? As you may have noticed by the feedback in this thread, what you want to do is considered not worth wasting time or not effective enough. There simply aren't other outfits that do this.
  6. ghost001985

ok after reading some of that post. i want you to define what you think indirect fire is. i can tell you its not shooting over a 3 story building! lets just say the harasser is 3 meters high, and your shooting over a rock thats 3.1 meters high, thats indirect fire.

this was done with a fury! 291 meters out. pause it a 20 sec to be clear how high im aiming! im shooting over the light post next to the vehicle pad. which is taller then a sundy!

7. DrPapaPenguin

This is cool and all, but honestly, there's very little point to wasting time finding yourself a rock to sit behind, firing ranging shots, coordinate with spotter before being able to fire full effect. It's just too time-costly. It's far easiercto just find a vantage point with direct line of fire, and shift after being shot back. It's just like flying ESFs in a formation.
  8. Einharjar

With respect, I know some people on this thread are real Artillery men; but Indirect fire is a very loose term.

Indirect fire simply means firing on a target not in LoS; generally hindered by terrain, though sometimes not.
    Because that term is so "loose", there are three Artillery Types.

(FIELD) GUN - Generally shoots in a straight line (very shallow trajectory)
    HOWITZER - The inbetween that can change angles full from near "Gun" status to near "Mortar" status.
    MORTAR - Cannon with an extreme angle of attack, allowing true indirect fire.

And please remember, I'm sure you are aware of this.
    You're performing Artillery mostly in the form of Howitzer. Slight angle, capable of some indirect fire, but has no minimum range like a Mortar. You're hard pressed to be a field gun since Furies and Bulldogs lack velocity.

Mortar artillery is impossible in PS2. There is simply no gun that qualifies for it. No weapon in the game has a Minimum range due to extreme angle of attack for true Indirect, Fire for Effect artillery. To put it bluntly, there is no Siege Artillery or Mortars in PS2 and it's frustrating.

In the bigger battles, these babies would actually be useful for Area Denial. I get so tired of the rapid spawn hopping causing the battle lines to have a seizure. Some pressure provided by true artillery using truly Indirect Fire would be nice.

With that said, I hope you and your Forward Obs get some good kill streaks. Good luck!
  9. ColonelChingles

I normally take it to cover firing at a target that you don't have a direct line of sight on. I'm not sure what else it's supposed to mean.

Like I said, my outfit evaluated indirect fire options in PS2. We found it to be possible under certain ideal conditions, but given the limitations on PS2 weapons indirect fire was not practical.

For instance, yes you could fire over certain objects... but you would have to be at the perfectly prepositioned range and elevation for that to work out. If there happens to be an object between you and the target, and that target is beyond a certain minimum distance (because your shots won't arc down that much) and within a certain maximum distance (because infantry only exist within 300m of your position) and is not moving... then indirect fire is possible.

But practical? Not really. In the time it'd take to perfectly position the Sunderer and then walk your fire onto the target, you probably could have done much more damage in a direct fire position. One of the benefits of indirect fire in the real world is that it saves lives... but lives in PS2 are meaningless with respawns and such.

You could just hop into a Liberator with a Dalton... that's about as close to simulating effective indirect fire as you can get... and it's pretty much direct fire.
  10. ghost001985

just fyi, you forgot rockets! and Howitzers do have a minimum range.
  11. Vikarius

Clearly, I DO know what you were asking for or are you poser #412458 on the internet who claims they were in the military?

As I have said, and others have as well it is NOT hard coded.

A combination of Voice (as in talking in TS/Vent/Mumble) with whoever vehicle you are coordinating with, and using that with colored smoke or squad waypoints it *could* work. However with the arcade nature of the game it would be highly inefficient.
    In a game like ARMA which is a military SIM, it would be better suited.
  12. Einharjar

This is highly dependent on the howitzer. Smaller Howitzer could lower the angle to fire like a field gun. Hence no minimum range.

Rockets are simply self propelled "bullets". Depending on the platform? They can follow the same rules.
    However Smart shells and Guided Rockets? That's a new class on it's own - Precision Artillery.

We already have that... damned Phoenixes... >.>; haha
  13. FABIIK