looking for a forward observer either Marine 0861, or army 13F

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ghost001985, Jun 4, 2014.

1. ghost001985

im looking to do a video on how to call out indirect fire, using a bulldog or fury. im trying to make a set of standard commands, that people can use. a from the point of view of the gun, and the observer.

if you can help, or know someone that can help please let me know. any observers, ie artillery, mortars, naval gunfire support, anyone that did fcc, cfc, coc, fdc, anyone that knows the terminology. i personally did counterfire command for RCT1 back in 08.

if you have no idea what im talking about in this post. please skip this post.

lastly im not ASKING if this is possible, i already know that it is in this game! im just looking for a forward observer to help me make a video.
  2. Vikarius

It isn't hard coded, but I don't see why you can't join an outfit that will utilize the skill-set using a combination of Voice, map and smoke markers it could be made effective. However something like that is very situational as PS2 is far more arcadish, and what you want is more ARMA.
    • Up x 1
  3. DQCraze

Elevation is the only issue we had, it's very inconsistent.
  4. ghost001985

well theres your problem, it kind of is hard coded. unless you can call for an artillery strike while in a fire fight. im sure you heard this, someone in your squad is talking, and they stop talking in the middle of their sentence. they come back and say " sorry i was shooting someone."

"combination of Voice" WHAT? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? arma? ? what? ? ? clearly you have no idea about what im talking about.

heres a example of what im trying to do, your defending a base, which only happens a couple times a minute, you and a buddy pull a harasser from another base. youll look around for a deployed sudny, and guys spawning on it, youll find a rock or something upto 230 meters away, you park behind it, he jumps uses his stalker cloak and flanks the sundy, you shot, miss, he tells you how to change your fire, you shot again, closer but miss, you adjust your fire again, shot a hit. then you open up. now with you behind that rock that sundy or guys spawning on it cant shot at you, and your stalker buddy can tell you if anyone getting close to you.

now there are multiple ways on how it call for that " adjustment". which im trying to standardize for people.

its not that hard.

• Up x 1
  5. TheFamilyGhost

I was 13F in my second enlistment, 2001- 2004.

While noble, what you're looking for won't really work in this game.
    • Up x 1
  6. ghost001985

why do you say that?
  7. Dasubur

welcome to auraxis, artillery does not exist, do not believe the cruel lies that have been spread.
    • Up x 2
  8. ghost001985

really? what do you call whats in this video?

to be clear this is 200+ meters away! ! ! !

9. Dasubur

...you do realise he is spawn camping right?...

hes shooting at a place he knows people will be because they have to be there.

I'm sorry man, he is just farming, artillery fire and planetside 2 is not possible yet due to the wonkeyness of projectiles.
    • Up x 1
  10. ghost001985

thats me! ok, why cant that be done to a sundy?

300 meters is enough for artillery! i dont see any wonkeyness when i shot things.
  11. Dasubur

what your doing is not actually artillery, your more sniping with a grenade launcher

artillery would involve more distance and their is also a problem involving your actual shots.

your shots have a life time and will disappear if it expires, so any kind of real long range shooting is impossible.
  12. ghost001985

semantics! ! !

as i said before i use to be in artillery, and no we cant shot 15 miles. so why cant we work in distance that game allows?

would you rather shot a bulldog at a sundy from 30 meters away while on the move, or 290 meters away and setting behind a rock?
  13. Dasubur

depends on the situation

Normally I would not being doing this since I only have a bulldog on my sundie and there's no way in hell I pulling that just pop a few shots

some real world artillery can fire rather fire and are usually very far from actual combat

the farthest shooting being rocket artillery, which also happens to be one of the most destructive payload wise too.

the shortest range artillery would have to be mortars.

the problem lies in the fact that there is no in game mechanic supporting this role
  14. ghost001985

ok, if the situation calls for you to set 290 meters out, would you like to have someone guiding you on where to shoot?

do you not read what i write? ? ? i was in artillery! before i went to RCT1 i was in Fox 2/11! an ARTILLERY BATTERY! i know more about artillery then you do!

AGAIN! if the game doesnt give us something, or prevents us from doing something, FIND THE CLOSEST THING AND WORK WITH IT, or FIND WAYS OF DOING WHATEVER THAT WILL WORK! like the guy in battlefield that was sick of landing to repair his plane, and what did he do, he figured out a way to jump out of his plane while flying to repair it, then jump back in to fly away! do you think EA thought that someone would even try that?

im sick of trying to explain this to you!
  15. CorporalClegg

Dunno why you felt the need to post this other then declare that your military... I'm 11B myself, yeah give me a medal! But its not something you can do with game mechanics aside from chatting "yo dude! Shoot here". Higby hinted in earlier posts that infiltrators would eventually get a mechanic for marking sites for armored and air support but this hasn't been implemented yet.

You could use that colored smoke **** i guess.
  16. ghost001985

i posted this to find a forward observer! ! ! ! which clearly people dont understand? ? ?

its called squad chat!

if i cant see the target area how would i see the the smoke? ? ? ???????????????
  17. Iridar51

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure why there must be a unified signal system. For this thing to work you need to roll with people you know anyway, since any random infiltrator won't even understand what you need him to do.

So just talk to your squad and figure out short and coherent callouts, like "shift up", "shift left", etc.
  18. AirborneCarrot

Hello, 155mm howitzer battery gun position officer (GPO) here. Also FO trained.
    Calling for fire takes a while.. calculating target grids for initial orders, checking OTB angle for bracketing, ranging orders, and FFE orders.

Due to the fact that much of PS2 is fast manoeuvre warfare, the dynamism of battles does not permit long ranged artillery from attacking strategic targets on the macro scale.

This leaves us with tactical strikes on the individual hex level. This, is entirely possible, but then again at this point it would be much much more effective to fall back on the traditional direct fire approach, unless farming infantry coming out of a spawn/teleporter/sunderer. This is of course my opinion, and I would gladly volunteer to try out FO duties for you.

As for voice procedure and fire discipline, I don't think there should be a standard set, because it varies between militaries and this game is played worldwide.

D50 L25 EN
    ALL LAST SHOT
    VGS, EOM
  19. AirborneCarrot

i totally know what you mean, lol

20. SNAFUS

Here is the big issue that you will run into, lack of kills. Now if all you are after is the satisfaction of putting rounds on a target then you may want to express that. But just as your video shows you will get little to no XP for what you were just doing which will discourage most players from being your FO. This game is primarily driven by killing, anything that requires more work and results in less kills will be considered pointless by many.