Yaw on Mouse?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lyrim, May 28, 2014.

1. Lyrim

So, why can I still not bind the yaw function to my mouse for aircraft? I fly with a pitch/yaw setup on every other game I play and have tried to get used to the pitch/roll setup and can't. It seems a bit ridiculous to me that you can't change an axis bind on a mouse when you can on a controller or joystick... It's very frustrating because flying is my favorite thing to do in these type of games.

I'm not trying to flame or anything. I'm just wondering what the situation is with this and explaining my reason for wanting this. I'd really like to start being able to enjoy the game.
    • Up x 2
  2. Volccis

Because its Planteside 2 and SOE is slow making changes. This shouldnt be super hard thing to code and has been requested for over 1½ year. I wouldnt hold my breath for this change.

Or maybe this is hard thing to code, what I do know about it anyway. Just try to get used to it, there isnt much to do.
  3. Lyrim

Like I said in my post, I have tried to get used to it. I've spent hours trying to fly with pitch/roll just because I love flying that much, but I've played with pitch/yaw for as long as I can remember.
  4. repinSniper

Also... yaw is static, not variable like roll or pitch (due to the current incapability of binding it to a variable input). Therefore adding variable yaw to a mouse would be comparable to adding a new feature to aircraft...
  5. NaySayer

I guarantee if yaw was on mouse, more people would actually fly and there would be less complaints against air being op.
  6. QFAN

no, you guys who frequently fly only sums up to 5% of the active players so you don't matter at all.

and for those 1% who want at least a flight model comparable to a 1998 flight sim on PC, you're out of luck.
    • Up x 1
  7. Lyrim

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm talking about as far as binding yaw to mouse movement. I'm not asking for variable yaw. I'm just saying allow players to have the option to input the yaw function that's already in the game with the mouse. No speeds need changed or anything like that. I actually agree with the extremely slow yaw because it's realistic. Either way, many people use yaw to line up shot and need it to be precise, not fast. And precise rolls aren't really a concern to those of us that use yaw for aiming. My joystick can bind yaw to whatever function I want to put it on. I'm just asking for the same option for my mouse. Besides, John Smedley has already said they would add it and that was a year and a half back.

And because I know someone is going to say "well use your joystick then", for some reason, the joystick sensitivity is through the roof even when I turn PS2's settings and my joystick's settings down.

I really don't know why you even came in this thread and posted that. It just looks like you flaming how a good portion of the flight community of the game would prefer to use their mouse for yaw and not roll. I'm trying to have a constructive thread conversation here.
  8. repinSniper

Well, when I meant static, I meant that you are either yawing at full rate (ON) or not yawing at all (OFF).

If you want to replace a variable/dynamic roll with no ON and OFF only function but a ZERO and MAXIMUM rate; well... I personally don't see the point. (other then what was said before, if you wanted to make this function non-static you would be altering game play significantly, which we can discuss in what ways in detail if you deem fit)
  9. Obstruction

i think the words you are struggling to find are digital and analog.

in response to the OP and with regards to someone who also said this above: i think it would greatly benefit the air game and relieve a lot of air/ground tension to include pitch/yaw mouse as an option (a tickbox in settings, or even better, a toggle that can be bound to a key.) it is a much more new player friendly default setting, and would help reduce some of the frustration new pilots feel when they get such limited flight time prior to upgrading their spawn timers.

furthermore in my opinion the default pitch/roll mouse constitutes a false difficulty that gates many players out of the air game altogether.
    • Up x 1
  10. QFAN

I'm really sorry. I was so pissed off by SOE's inaction towards players who want to have a decent flying experience.

Mouse yaw control isn't a new request this year or even last year. It's been around since beta and it's been ignored ever since.
    • Up x 1
  11. Cyrek

What's wrong with keyboard yaw?
  12. Obstruction

nothing at all. the request is that flight controls be made available in all configurations.

keyboard works fine for pitch/roll/yaw, and mouse works fine for pitch/roll. the problem is just that some people (especially newer players and players accustomed to flight controls from other popular games) would like to be able to use pitch/yaw mouse.

and as i said above i think the new player experience in the air is sortof unnecessarily punishing in this way. it would be like putting you into a race car, but turning the steering wheel left and right control the throttle and brakes, while the foot pedals steer left and right. now go race these ten guys who have all been driving this way for 80-100 hours, and after 2 minutes they've wrecked you into a wall and you can't try again for 15 minutes.

then they call you noob and tell you how much you suck for not being able to learn these easy controls. :p
    • Up x 1
  13. Lyrim

See, I would be a little more understanding if yaw on joysticks/controllers wasn't "static". On my joystick i can kind of feather yaw to the point that I can aim. It really is just as simple as giving people an option that has been requested since before the game's official release like QFAN mentioned.

And one thing I would like to add is the fact that John Smedley said that this part of the flying community is "ret arded". That's completely negative and inappropriate towards a community that would like to see this game progress and succeed.