Phoenix fire through spawn room shields.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Celeris, May 27, 2014.

1. Celeris

The ability to fire phoenix out of spawn rooms is cancerous. No other faction has the ability to overwhelmingly pressure deployed sunderers in such a huge radius around their bases as NC currently do, and they can do so with ZERO risk to themselves. Other direct fire rockets can't even fire through spawn room shields, let alone be directed to sunderers, even when they are hidden around hills and buildings. This ability makes attacking NC bases far more troublesome than other faction's bases. The same is true to some extent for mana AV turrets that can still be deployed inside spawn rooms, this needs to be addressed also.
    • Up x 9
  2. Celeris

I'm not saying nerf the weapon, just the ability to fire it through spawn room shields, an ability that no other rocket launcher weapon has in the first place, let alone a steerable weapon that can pressure sunderers almost anywhere you'd care to park one to assault a base. All the while having ZERO risk to the person firing them.
    • Up x 1
  3. Nerp

Lockons

Lockons and bursters and pounders and ubgl and shotguns and carbines and assault rifles and lmgs and pistols and the lasher and anything else with bullets and grenades and c4 and falcons and comets and fractures and lashers and ravens
    • Up x 6
  4. Wifebeater4k

Other Rocketlaunchers can shoot through the same shields as the phoenix can.

But i have to agree that its a stupid decision to let weapons shoot around cover.
    • Up x 3
  5. FaLI3N

As much as I love doing this when I am NC it is extremely frustrating on some of the smaller bases to have to face this. Especially when it is organized, they do too much damage to be allowed to lock down that much area from spawn.

To anyone that says you can shoot the phoenix down, not only is this boring as hell and doesn't actually stop it from happening, it is also impossible for anyone with a slightly higher ping. You shoot them and then they hit you anyway.
  6. Rentago

Why don't we do better? Lets just remove the camp rooms! They serve no purpose other than to be camped, they aren't defensive positions, they can't be taken, and they don't help people get in the fight, were better off not even having them exist and instead having destructible spawn tubes in a real location that isn't a shoebox full of fish in a big open space where vehicles can shoot at. No, putting the shoebox inside another box doesn't resolve the issue, the shoebox has to go.
    • Up x 9
  7. Celeris

Firing a VS S1
    All of those are direct fire weapons or require a direct line of sight in order to lock on. ie, you can still park that sunderer behind cover and not have it destroyed by people who aren't able to be countered in any way.
  8. Celeris

I've not once ever fired a VS S1 rocket through a spawn room shield, they blow up every time when they hit the shield.
  9. Mootar

Firing out of the spawn shack and annoying spawn camping tryhards is about the only thing the Phoenix is useful for, it is complete gash for any other purpose and you want it gone? Might as well just remove the weapon totally.
    • Up x 3
  10. Celeris

I'm quite sure you'd be able to tell me what lead paint chips taste like.

I never said I want them gone, I want them to not be able to be fired from the safety of spawn room shields.
  11. Goden

Heres a thought: Try to actually shoot vehicles with it and not use it to farm infantry.

The Phoenix can put some serious hurt on a tank - especially from behind. It gives you the luxury of being able to shoot it while still in cover. I drive tanks. A lot. NC players who use their Phoenix properly can either outright kill my tank or cause me to flee very quickly.

A guy with a Phoenix isn't just a guy with a rocket launcher - it's a guy with a rocket launcher that you can't shoot back at.
    • Up x 2
  12. Mootar

Maybe you should re-read what I wrote, the only thing the Phoenix is useful for is firing out of spawns to annoy camping vehicles, it is completely wank for any other purpose, so if the ability to fire from said spawn was nerfed, the weapon would be become completely useless and therefore it might as well be removed totally.

Not once did I state that you wanted them gone.

How do those paint chips taste?
    • Up x 5
  13. Alarox

How to stop a Phoenix:
    1.) Park at 301m.
    or
    2.) Park behind anything.
    or
    3.) Sit there with your pistol and shoot down all the rockets.
    or
    4.) Repair your vehicle. The Phoenix takes multiple seconds to reach your vehicle, and then it has a reload. It has the LOWEST DPS of all the launchers.

But yes, Phoenix OP. Nurf.
    • Up x 16
  14. Yuki10

It's not without risk, at least 1/3 of those rockets actually explode when touching the force field in doorways and do damage to friendlies. Yes, another bug that needs fixing :)
    • Up x 1
  15. kirinohana

1.) Depends on base can be very detrimental or very far, also can expose you to being outside of cover
    2.) They often hit things behind cover, because they can shoot around it (hence the OP's point)
    3.) Boring, band aid for stupid mechanics and often does not work anyways. Also multiples rockets can get around this.
    4.) Many rockets can be launched in unison or close timing causing repairs impossible or instakills.

This is rare but I have seen a few times where 4 rockets fly on the exact same path (most likely aim botting of some kind) at the same time instakilling things from spawn room. Again not a big problem but kinda lame.
    • Up x 1
  16. m44v

grab a buster max, shot down the blue missiles.
    • Up x 1
  17. Udnknome

sorry.. you hooked me for a minute.. got off the line and swam away.

BTW, you've never used a phoenix in your life and have no idea what you're talking about. Insta-killing, yea right.
    • Up x 3
  18. Celeris

1) Because parking a sunderer remotely close to a base you're assaulting is not really required, right?

2) Phoenix missiles can be steered around obstacles.

3) Wow, how fun is that, and it grants so much xp and makes the person tasked to this job feel so rewarded.

4) 4-5 HA's firing phoenix can kill a sunderer in a couple of volleys,

5) No other faction can area deny sunderers in such a large area around their base and do so in complete safety. Why should NC have this ability only? They shouldn't and it should be removed.
    • Up x 1
  19. Aractain

Why do rockets (including many of my phoenixes) detonate on shields? That is REALLY annoying. How is a good fun fight ever going to happen with uneven fights (which cannot be fixed) when those trying to clear the spawn camp have half their shots explode around them getting weapons lock?
    (not to mention the spawn room design is terrible considering there's so many ways to carpet it with HE ordnance)
  20. nightbird

What do you expect from a camera guided rocket launcher? All weapons can shoot through spawn doors, nerf all or nerf all rocket launchers is fine.

Getting rid of Phoenix is also ok, I'd like a handheld cannon please. 1 shot HEAT cannon with same stats as lightning with slower refire and velocity. ty