Tune down headshots

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Omedon, May 27, 2014.

1. Omedon

Way too much emphasis is placed on headshots in infantry combat. I feel this is forcing new players out of the game and hurting the game as a whole. Too many players seem to be able to land multiple headshots in every single engagement. I find myself being instantly killed far too often and I’ve been playing since the game was released. I honestly feel like I am running around with a giant head. The bottom line is that getting owned by headshots it not fun. It would be cool if tactics were actually more important.
  2. Phyr

You want tactics, minus the tactic of having better aim.
    • Up x 9
  3. z1967

So, you want the headshot multiplier to be tuned down?
  4. Dis

Let's just make it so all encounters in the game are determined by a roll of the dice. BR1 rolls a 4, BR100 rolls a 2. BR1 wins!
    • Up x 10
  5. Maljas23

When will these silly threads stop? Quit complaining about everything!
    • Up x 7
  6. LT_Latency

No, It's a shooter, Rewarded good aim is part of a shooter.
    • Up x 1
  7. Corporate Thug

Sadly it's one of the few ways to create a skill gap that's needed between poor, average and good players. With out it there wouldn't be much incentive to improve one's aim over just camping a great spot.

I do understand your concerns though. I often will get some enemy clipping into me and headshotting me even if he isn't looking or aiming at me, the same happens with friendlies. I also really hate those times that I encounter some shotgun dude and he misses every shot but gets one lucky headshot with w/e type of shotgun and kills me before or as he dies but that is more of an issue with spam weapons for me.

The different damage models are there to assist you with that though. If you can consistently land headshots then a slower R.O.F./high damage weapon might be better for you, and if not then there are faster R.O.F./lower damage weapons that will suit your playstyle. It sort of balances out and there are accuracy stats, ADS multipliers etc. to help as well.
  8. Maelthra

Wait, you mean new players are quitting because they suck? Clearly this means we should add auto-aim to the game. That should solve the problem.
    • Up x 4
  9. Marxsbeard

New players "suck" and have the disadvantage of lack of equipment. It's a shooter and MMO, so the best/longest playing players also get many other benefits over the noobs, beyond mere skill level. I tend to agree that game mechanics like head shots, high recoil/bloom, etc drive away new players. A lot of people aren't going to bother sticking out being farmed by BR100s until they l2p. "No, seriously, it gets fun when you get above that 0.2 kdr."
  10. FillyFluttershy

Not sure how I feel about this. I think generally it's fine. What if semi-autos had better headshot multipliers than full autos? Even though I use the Warden almost always lately, it took a while for my Warden headshots to outnumber my Blitz headshots. It just puts out that many more bullets. I'd hardly call my Blitz headshots 'skill' as much as lucky recoil. Usually I aim center mass and accept head shots as a bonus unless I'm feeling pretty good about my chances to land one on the face.

If weapons had a proportionately smaller headshot multiplier based on how bullet-spammy they are (perhaps RPM for autos) it might satisfy both of your camps. You get killed a little less by multiple headshot insta-deaths, and the "Skillz R Us" guys can use a more skilled (semi-auto) weapon for their cherished headshots?

Or I'll unleash the flames of hell from both of you. Just throwing ideas out.
  11. Krayus_Korianis

But I love getting a headshot on someone who's just standing there!
  12. GoEErs

Pretty soon skill will not be necessary to accomplish anything in this game. We devote a lot of time into training and gaining experience with our weapons. Punishing those that make these commitments to marksmanship is certainly not the answer.
    • Up x 1
  13. DashRendar

Players like this will never be satisfied until a little faction colored paperclip shows up in the corner saying "It looks like you are flanking the enemy. Good use of tactics! Oh no! There's an enemy around that corner! Don't panic, just tap the A button repeatedly when it flashes on the screen and you'll trigger a cinematic power up move that kills every enemy within 25m."

":eek: this is such good gameplay man"
    • Up x 2
  14. Omedon

I want players to be on a more even playing field so this game that we all love so much will stay alive.
  15. Luke15g

Even playing field? Is there a bullet-curve-around-head to BR ratio I haven't heard about?
    • Up x 5
  16. Thardus

Bingo. Moving targets at anything beyond "reach out and boop their nose" range, I almost always aim for the center of mass. Without ridiculously good aim, a steady weapon, and a dash of luck, going for headshots is just asking for a lot of your shots to miss.
    • Up x 2
  17. GoEErs

And what's next after that? How much of tactics and skill have to removed from the game to make it even.
    Skill is necessary to be good at this game. There are skill gaps in this game and it's no one's fault but the individual player for not being as skilled as other players.

You gain skill by training and playing. Playing a bunch of average players does nothing for you. Anyone can shoot a dog target and land some rounds. It's quite another to put those rounds where you want them on a moving target. It also seems kind of ironic that you want an FPS to not reward good shooting. That's my take.
    • Up x 1
  18. PWGuy93

Tone down head shots you say

I say fix the netcode that makes players die before they see the first hit.
    • Up x 3
  19. DrPapaPenguin

So, you want something like this? [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  20. Krayus_Korianis

But that's a seagull! Chickens look different o_O.
    • Up x 1