When will Mossy and Reaver get adjusted to get on the same level as Scythe?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Merlock, May 24, 2014.

1. Herby20

Nah. The Reaver is perfect where it is, and the Scythe's advantages don't translate well (if at all) to larger, more realistic fights. The Mossy is just lacking a bit in identity right now. All the faction's rotaries need a buff to their ammo reserves though.

DPS wise all the rotaries were nerfed a bit, but the gap between the Vortek and the Hailstorm/M18 Rotary in terms of TTK on an ESF is actually larger than it was before. The Vortek hits hard. Really hard.
  2. Herby20

3. nightbird

Who uses rotary anyways, ammo reserve lasts about 2 minutes. Air hammer or default!
  4. Rhumald

Mmm, I see the conversation has broken down to insults again, guess I'll try again when the next thread pops up.

The differences are small, I understand that, they don't look sinifican't on paper, and if this was on foot, infantry versus infantry, I'd be doing the same thing you are, because respawning don't cost a thing. That down time in an ESF makes any point of imbalance felt a whole lot more, especially when your typical ariel engagement only lasts 5 to 10 seconds. You start to sweat the small stuff under those constraints, because they mean something with that frame of referance.
  5. WycliffSlim

Do you know why the differences don't look significant on paper? It's because they're not significant on paper. I actually do better with a Reaver than with a Scythe. Why? Because the Vortek fits my style of flight. I like to get in close and fight at melee range. That's where the Vortek excels. However, I also know the strengths of the the Scythe and the Mossie so when I fly them I fly to their strength.

If you don't fly to the strength of your ESF you have no one to blame but yourself. Stop trying to blame your lack of ability to beat people on the game.
  6. Pixelshader

how can you so easily brush off the test posted earlier?

want some more hard evidence?

source:

Scythe: Pitches 360 degrees in frames 763 to 914, 151 total frames, 5.03 seconds.
    Mosquito: Pitches 360 degrees in frames 221 to 372, 151 total frames, 5.03 seconds.
    Reaver: Pitches 360 degrees in frames 560 to 711, 151 total frames, 5.03 seconds.

you can't just flat out refuse to see facts and then continue arguing like you know what you are talking about
    • Up x 1
  7. Wizz

I'd like to note that I'm taking a very long much deserved break from this game (logging probably less than 3 hours in the last 10 days er so). I told myself no forums comments, no playing, and no flying (period. hopefully forever) after I hit BR 100 on a toon.

Now, I'm about to call you an idiot. Before I tell you how stupid you are I want you to know I've had three NC characters (BR86, 40ish, and whatever caniamkitten is). I was the 3rd pilot recruited into an elite pilot group called PREY on waterson back in the day. ( cheecho which has been deleted for obvious renaming reasons, and thebloobaron)

I've got a BR 94 TR waterson which was in the a2a pilot branch jortz ( iloveberthamon, terrex, and I believe at one time thesmilies) of NUC's bravo squad on their comp team. ( cheechisanoptree )

I'm also a member of future crew who destroyed air, ppa'd, and podded my way to BR 100 on connery.

I've been flying for a long time on all factions, so you cannot judge me as being a scythe pilot defending scythes. Honestly, I couldn't care what happens to the air game at this point. I haven't pulled an ESF since I hit BR 100, and hopefully I never pull another. Everything you've said though... has lead me to the conclusion that you're a stupid idiot head. Stupid face.
    • Up x 1
  8. TriumphantJelly

The Reaver has literally exactly the same manouvreabilty, I thought the scythe had less (and I am still suspicious) but NO, they are all the same.
    Reaver AB is the most potent in the game, and their vertical thrust too. This allows you to get an ovrhead view on the PanCake -- I mean Scythe. The Vortek IMO is OP, but what do I know?
    Mossie meawhile has a relativeley thin hitbox from EVERY ANGLE, and has higher DPS weapons than the scythe (but not the Reaver).

LOL, you think the NC are the faction that can ONLY flank/sneak around? VS are: The magrider can only effectively flank, but the other 2 MBTs can attack head on AND flank. The Scythe, due to the rarity of 1v1 duels, is better off flanking, whereas the Mossie is a total all rounder and the Reaver cannon rushes.

Seriously, the Scythe is just as easily out-manoeuvred and when it is, it is SCREWED. The splayed out design really **** over the soon-to-be dead Scythe. Also, Mossies and Reavers seem to (not sure if this is a fact) to have an easier time timing manoeuvres (GOD I hate typing that word again and again) with their thruster transitions, I just fly forwards when I try to time a reverse manoeuvre in-engagement.
  9. Flag

You're insulting everyone else by disregarding them.

And if you're going to bring the downtime card, don't. The ESF is cheap, and has a lower baseline waiting time than the MBTs.
    I have 0 sympathy.
  10. Burevestnik

I'm in love with ramming people myself thus Reaver is the "go to" vehicle for it. Put A2AM's on and fire at someone. As he's turning around to hover duel you afterburn straight into him before his turn cycle is complete. it's a 50/50 chance of surviving but it's 100% chance of getting rage /tells.

When it comes to flight itself and what would advice non pilots to start with would obviously be the mosquito. It feels like the more forgiving platform and easier to get accustomed with even in complete stock configuration. For some reason i just can't wrap my head around the vanu tech pancake.

As for overal balance. All three are fairly balanced. I mostly fly Reaver with Racer3. If you have problems against scythes then just equip A2AM's. They have absolutely no problems with hitting scythes.
    • Up x 1
  11. SushiCW

Minor correction:
    * Scythe and Mossie have about the same burst DPS. (Reaver guns have higher DPS, as you said).
    * The guns are all pretty close together for sustained DPS... (factoring in reloads), Mossie actually has the worst.
    * What the Mosquito does have is slightly higher damage per magazine.
  12. TriumphantJelly

Fair enough.
  13. Poplico

I agree with flag. The esf imbalance isnt something that needs to be fixed. If you want a fair fight go duel on test with mossie vs mossie. Each esf has its imbalances that are easily made up for. And think of it this way. If youre a non scythe pilot, challenge yourself to beat the scythe pilots, and if you're a scythe pilot dont bother asking for change, because you can capitalize on the 1v1 advantage, while learning how not to get jumped (instaloss)
  14. Merlock

If you think the slightly higher vertical thrust makes us go super speed and race up faster than one can pitch up you're terrible wrong.
    I flew with scythes for just small periods and it is incredibly easy to show the almost not noticable front side of the scythe.

Scythe has everything better in a hover fight:

1) Impossible to hit hotbox
    2) Abnormal high accurate and still high damage nose gun, you can snipe too easy with the default nosegun and paired with the very tiny front hitbox the scythe will always win ( Unless the scythe pilot is incredible bad )

And its not just me saying this, I ask alot of people or just hear it of people who are legends at flying and they all say the same thing. Scythes are op.
  15. Oathblivion

Okay, so before I took a break for a few months, I was a pilot of middling skill. Now I suck, so take this opinion with a grain of salt.

I would rather fight a Scythe over a Mossie any day. Sure, in hover duels its like fighting a piece of paper, but the thing is bigger than a Reaver if you hit it from the top or the bottom. The Mossie on the other hand is 1) a flying stick from any angle, 2) the fastest overall ESF, and 3) can fire for two days without stopping*.

If a Scythe looks like ---------- from one angle, the Mossie looks like "O" from all angles (and the Reaver looks like "[|||||||||||||]"...).
  16. GaBeRock

Basically the only change any of the esfs need is +5 rounds to the mosquito rotary, and a big fat nerfhammer to the coyotes. Everything else is good enough. Not perfect, but about where theyneed to be.
  17. Flag

If you consider air only, sure.
  18. GaBeRock

That's changes to the esfs themselves. Liberators could also use a resistance nerf to esf noseguns, and lightnings could probably use a resistance buff, but that didn't fall into the scope of "esf changes."
  19. Flag

Maybe.
    As the thread is about how the ESFs stand up to themselves, I'll leave it at that.
  20. Aloysyus

Well, you are known as a good pilot but i really have to disagree here. I don't complain a lot about the Scythe because it is always a nice challenge for me but tbh: I still think it is a bit op in dogfights for obvious reasons. When i am in a Scythe myself i suddenly feel way safer and i am always like "WTF, i don't have to lead and that Reaver is soooo big!"

I understand that pilots like you are able to make the best out of the different ESFs strengths but honestly... not everyone can fly like rguitar and i remember these videos Matti made with him an bequ changing esfs. Scythe wins.