When will Mossy and Reaver get adjusted to get on the same level as Scythe?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Merlock, May 24, 2014.

1. Merlock

It's pretty obvious that Scythes are way better then Mosquitos and Reavers, even main VS hardcore fliers say the Scythe is op.
    I have no trouble at all facing mossies, but scythes are just abnormally hard to hit and their nosegun is made to hit pretty much everything.

So yeah when will there be a revamp to balance the 3 ESF's out more without having the scythe dominate all
  2. Merlock

I wonder why they haven't done anything if everywhere I go I hear scythes are better.
  3. Flag

Because outside of the top gun ace pilot honour duels, it kinda isn't?

Besides, because of the importance of skill, the slight differences that are there are minor. And there's a lot more glaring issues with the game than the inter-ESF balance.
    • Up x 4
  4. Alarox

To be fair, this is the same reasoning as to why so many bugs, glitches, and just terrible design oversights are allowed to exist. It is why MBTs haven't gotten any quality of life updates as well.
    • Up x 2
  5. AssaultPig

as a reaver pilot I'd rather fight scythes than mosquitos. Scythes seem to have the edge in the narrow circumstance of 1v1 hoverduels, but outside of that circumstance they're not that bad (and quite easy to land shots on assuming you aren't facing one head-on.)

it could be that waterson just has better TR pilots than VS pilots though
  6. Flag

That's true.

Do you disagree though?
  7. Botji

From the ground to air perspective I have to say I much rather fire my Skyguard on Reavers and Scythes. Mossies are tiny and fast as heck(Reavers have a great AB tho).

Shooting at ESF with the Lancer its probably almost twice as hard to hit a Mossie compared to Reavers. Walkers and Basils I feel also "favor" the Mossie, the head on profile of a Mossie is fairly small too and any other angle is also slim while a Scythe doing a run might be hard to hit head on but when it passes over or turns you get a target size of a barn.

I kinda agree with Flag, outside the 1v1 honor duels the advantages/disadvantages of the ESFs are fairly equal. As a not really ace pilot I instead feel the Mossie or Reaver have the upper hand because when I play with them I can engage and disengage much easier compared to the "slow" and "barn sized" target you make when you try to do the same with a Scythe.
    • Up x 1
  8. minhalexus

Scythes are better in hoverduels.
    So if you are trying to engage them in hover duels, you are .........

Scythes are slow.......
    So you can try to gank them, and panic them using the Vortek.

If a scythe is in hover-mode, and focusing on infantry, then it will not be able to get out of hover-mode in that 2 seconds you kill it with Vortek. You should atleast be able to get it to smoking before it gets out of hover mode.
  9. Merlock

I was duelling with my reaver today and then with my scythe, it's abnormally easy to fight with the scythe.
  10. Emotitron

It isn't obvious though. Yes, scythes are better at hover duels, for many other things they are inferior. Reavers are better for getting the jump on people and nearly one-clipping them. Mossies are better at hit and run.

If your primary focus in flying is 1 v 1 hover duels, then you should probably roll a vanu. Honest 1v1 hover duels are rare anymore though. Everyone flies in packs and so many people fly with coyotes it hardly matters.

Statistically I think mossies currently have the best k/d and spm stats, if I recall the last server result spreadsheet I saw posted.
    • Up x 2
  11. Rhumald

Reaver? good for something? ha, anything a reaver can do, the other factions can both do better.

The Reaver has less speed and maneuverability than both the other faction varients, the only way I can outrun a stock anything from the other two factions is with both the racer chasis, and maxed out fuel tanks equipped, and there is simply no way to outmaneuver them, even with a full dog fighting chasis.

We have a shotgun, it's great, if you can get the drop on someone, they don't react to you, and you can get out of there before their buddies react, which you can do with the racer and fuel tanks equipped, it just sucks being a 1 trick pony all the god damned time, That's NC's whole method of play: ambushes and sneak attacks, if you can't do both of those all the time, you're gonna have a bad time as NC, and you can't even play to that strength with the Reaver to engage a ground target, or most air targets, because there's simply no way to sneak around to their blind spot without getting spotted first.
  12. IamnotAmazing

they all have the same yaw and pitch rate, or "maneuverability"
    • Up x 2
  13. Rhumald

No, they do not. Maybe you've been playing with a fully certed combat chasis on your reaver, because that's the only way that it even begins to match up with a mossy or scyth, which can both noticably out turn a Reaver.
  14. IamnotAmazing

no, anyone who is using dogfighter is insane

they have the exact same yaw and pitch rate ( pretty much)

this guy did some testing
    Pitch
    Scythe: 5.07
    Reaver: 5.17
    Mosquito: 5.20

Roll
    Scythe: 2.60
    Reaver: 2.71
    Mosquito: 2.65
    Yaw
    Scythe: 25.79
    Reaver: 22.13
    Mosquito: 22.36
    so the differences are probably the same and within margin of error, and even if they are different that amount of difference will never show up in game

tell me the amount of times you went "aw he out turned me" never cause that doesn't happen
    • Up x 4
  15. Bush82

remove hover duels and A2A. lock weapons under a certain speed. leave that roll for the valkyrie. make air battles actual fighter engagements. not the daft hover dances that are in game now. more people would fly.

i prefer the mossy over the scyth. only thing the scyth has that is better over all faction ESF's is a clear cockpit view. i do about the same with each. i dont partake in the air ballet game style tho.
  16. Flag

The Scythe has the most accurate long range nose gun.
  17. Rhumald

HAHAHAaaaa, Man, you have no idea, every night, every dog fight where the mossy or scyth faces off with me, those are my exact words, they out ******* turn me all the time, give it a try why don't ya? face off with a Mossy, or scythe, fly past them, and then try to turn yourself towards tehm as fast as you can, I guarentee you they will bring their weapons to bear first, and that will win them the fight.

(PS, you should quote your source)
  18. Bush82

i never noticed. fly them all the same, default nose gun, lolpods, high speed chassis, flares and auto repair. im mostly killed by BR80+ players with A2A and op tree branches.
  19. Flag

The Saron nose gun has the highest velocity and no CoF. It's pin-point accurate.
    Although you need to be good to make full use of it.
  20. Herby20

The Mossy could use a tiny buff, but the three ESFs are about as close to balanced as they can get with the asymmetrical balance currently in place. A Scythe may hold an advantage in small, even engagements, but the Mossy and Reaver outshine it in the more typical larger fights that happen on live.
    • Up x 2