Drifters should lock out C4 just like Stalker Cloak locks out

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Klypto, May 23, 2014.

1. p10k56

Wow so much hate for almost non existent class.
    I see in my playtime more blatant hackers then drifter users.
    Drifters were nerfed for no reason you cannot accelerate to such high speed as it was possible before nerf.
    You cannot ADS while drifting or at least have some accuracy bonus compared to standard JJ.
    So tell me what is so OP on this class?:rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  2. Alarox

Not really. I'll pull an ESF/Lib/ESF with my unused resources, and use my 40x stockpiled C4. I'll kill three tanks, then go pull my own.

There's also no counter play. You're in the middle of a fight, and suddenly you die because one person you killed wanted you dead. I do it to people and I have it done to me. It is incredibly cheesy.

I've yet to run into a single tanker who I can't kill with this regardless of how experienced/skilled they are.
    • Up x 1
  3. david06

So you got killed by a player that used an expensive, creative and risky way to counter a tank.

I don't think that you're going to have much luck invoking the spirit of Planetside 2 on this because a light assault trooper soaring across the sky and destroying a vehicle is fairly close to what's depicted in this game's official trailer.

The player already compromises when they equip drifters, they give up all vertical boost. This is a big deal for light assaults as they are a weak combat class that must rely on position and mobility.

There is plenty of reason to fly over a tank using the light assault's drifter jets, like when a tower is surrounded by armor. Those places are notoriously easy for tanks to farm and one of the few advantages they do provide to the defender is a height advantage.

The only way a player is going to counter a tank with minimal risk is if they plant two AT mines and awhile later a tank drives over them.

Equipping drifters and floating quite slowly over to a tank, in full view of everyone is a pretty extreme tactic.

You can already equip an anti-infantry weapon in addition to your tank's main armament. If the cost of a main battle tank was cut in half then it would cost less than a MAX suit, less than an ESF and barely more than the two blocks of C4 needed to destroy the tank.

Also calling this tactic suicidal contradicts your earlier statement about it requiring "absolute zero risk".
    • Up x 3
  4. Alarox

The specific issue is pointed out in the OP.

How much experience do you have using this tactic?
  5. p10k56

What ever drifter can do standard JJ LA can do better only exception is when you have some high ramp around.
    But it is easy to cry for nerf to class which is almost non used cos nobody cares but I am exdrifter user so I do care.
    And what is so bad about ability to prevent spawn room lock down by C4ing those harvesters around?
    • Up x 1
  6. Iridar51

You know what? This happens to me all the time! I'm in a middle of infantry fight, and suddenly I die because one person sitting in a tank 300m away wanted me dead.

You bet I'll go out of my way to blow him up.

I'll be sure to [V]-[6] him and send a "<3" tell afterwards too, and dance on his corpse perhaps. Give up your HEAT / HE cannons, and I'll gladly give up one of my C4 bricks. I will still need the second one though, for the time when you cheesers switch to using MAXes, because you're too bad to fight infantry on equal footing.
    • Up x 4
  7. Alarox

I'm a cheeser because I like vehicle gameplay?

Also, you can take HEAT/HE. I only use AP.
  8. Call-Me-Kenneth

drift C4 is fine, the LA has to land two bricks and it costs him 200 inf resource + air... if he can reliably land two bricks at 200 - 300m height he deserves a medal already. i take it you are one of those "arty vanguards"... you guys are second only to pubbie infiltrators snipping at 500mts in terms of your contribution to a fight. -.-'

the vanguard is a brawler, get in close, stay on the move and kick ***.

i should also say, i spend my time on a vanguard so i know how incredibly stupid it is for C4 to even exist... but now that it does, and having played a long time as a light drifter, i have to concede that drift C4 requires a LOT of skill and you will die 6/10 times, 3/10 times you will land only one brick, and only one in 10 you will get a kill.

still, lets agree that there's nothing more stupid than owning some other tank crew in a fair fight, only to see them come back in two ESFs, do a pass, then eject and try to c4. not only it is cheap, it looks incredibly stupid and childish.

i have never, ever, pulled air with LA. i do however use the jumpad+drift boost Technic and can get some pretty hilarious kills on Galaxies and Libs.

if anything, C4 should work like mines do. if you drop a mine from too high up is wobbles and lands anywhere but the target. forcing LAs to at least get withing 50mts is a start. but the problem is, if you force them to do it, they will find out that instead of getting 1 in 10, they can get 5 in 10... and the rage will be unholy. just let them bomb from 200mts if they want, its their C4...

another way around it would be to give LAs their own icon like MAXes have. and have them auto spot when they activate their jetpack, but the LA tears would drown us all.
  9. Alarox

Yes, Klypto is a terrible tanker. All he does is sit at 500m and shoot infantry with his HE cannon. He's #1 with that thing you know. I keep trying to tell him the error of his ways, but he just wants to farm. It is a shame.
    • Up x 2
  10. Goretzu

Pretty sure it doesn't pick them up in time if they are dropping from a heightl; I learnt that the hard way shooting a Galaxy once. :D

The first you'll know about it is likely the death screen.
  11. EliteEskimo

Except you're a 0 cost infantry unit while the MBT is the most expensive unit in the game, with no cool down even though MBT's have a lenghty cool down, and if you want to can directly counter 50% of my splash damage through specialized armor. So there isn't anything you lose when you die to me, and you can directly counter by up to 50% by switching loadouts at a terminal free of charge (Something I also cannot do).

Lets give MBT composite armor that gives C4 and rocket resistance against infantry rockets by 50% at Max rank and watch the tears come flowing when LA can no longer solo MBT's. If you instantly die to a tank its' because it's a tank that landed a shell on your body or directly besides your feet. Your very next 0 cost 0 cool down life you can have 50% resistance to AOE damage and shoot me with a fire and forget easy mode lock on, or a non rendering AV turret that I can't fight against from 450 meters away. When someone wants you dead you lose nothing as infantry, but when someone wants a tank dead it comes with penalties.
    • Up x 2
  12. Paragon Exile

That would actually be so awesome.
    • Up x 1
  13. Plunutsud pls

inb4 lock

btw this thread is a great infantry vs. vehicle flame read.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  14. lothbrook

C4 should just be straight nerfed against vehicles by 50%, theres no reason any infantry should have this kind of power especially when there are so many ways to kill a tank
  15. Kronic

As long as tanks can surround a base and directly shell the spawn room and the cap points, C4 should, and will carry on to effectively 1 shot tanks. Deal with it. Not only that, but drifters are ******* useless. C4ing things is all the bloody jet type is of any use for.
    • Up x 4
  16. Kanil

... people use drifters?

I mean... I dunno why you'd want to nerf them, considering how useless they are... but they're already useless, so I suppose making them even worse wouldn't get me to use them even less than the never that I currently use them.

Also, you don't need them to C4 tanks.
  17. Hatesphere

it already was, it takes 2 bricks to reliably kill a lightning now (used to take one), 2 and a rocket to kill a sunder(used to take just the 2), and 2 to kill a MBT. its always funny to see dedicated tanker tears about C4 when its really in a good state at the moment, the issue is not enough wide open tank playgrounds. This in turn forces tankers into infantry cover were they are rightfully shredded by C4 and rockets.

The only solution I can think of to help end ESF/LA cheesing of it is to give tanks a top armor bonus against C4, this in turn would also mean players on the ground would have to place C4 more accurately onto one of the sides of a tank.
  18. MajiinBuu

You set a waypoint on the target. Drop on the waypoint. Throw mines, shoot them or throw sticky. Did you really think you just drop the mines and forget about them?
  19. Kalendric

I kinda agree that dual C4 on Light Assaults is overpowered. It's ridiculous seeing a bunch of Vanguards fleeing in terror from a couple of suicide bomb wielding LA's charging them and it really feels wrong that my first instinct on seeing a tank on radar is to pull my C4 and yell "XP! CHARRRRGE!"

Personally, I'd make it so MBT's take 3C4 each to blow up and then allow Engineers and Heavies to carry three. Or alternatively combine mineguard with a C4 and infantry rocket resistance form of armour to give MBT's a close in armour choice, versus specialized protection against AV that the current armour options offer. After all, if Liberators can effectively cert against their "deterrent" i don't see why Tanks shouldn't.
  20. z1967

Here is the major problem many will have with that. Right now, the LA is more or less a one trick pony. Nerfing its C4 will result in it being one of the more useless classes in the game. All it will have is a jetpack and some C4 that won't even destroy tanks.

The reason most tanks run from C4 fairies is so that they can get a better shot without getting hit themselves. Because tracking speed on the tank turret is fairly low, the farther away the better for hitting twitchy little fairies. Generally, standing in the same place that a C4 fairly is running to is a bad idea, similar to how ESFs have to run the **** away from AA (in most cases) or die.