Implants cost an additional $1 an hour to run.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Damean, May 20, 2014.

1. Haquim

I have no Idea what my numbers on that specific evening were, but usually its something like 400SPM, K/D of 0.9 to 4.5, depending on what im playing and my drops were about a dozen chargers, propably more, and about as many implants... 6 times battle hardened I 5 times safe landing 1 one time hold breath 1 and one regeneration 1
  2. JackD

They could just make membership attractice, since people would spend money for that. Which inludes makeing the game stable and actually get some content in that people want like Hossin or the resource revamp and instead we get implants a change that got downvoted like nothing else.
  3. Goretzu

1) Supposedly it is low (although it may be bugged), if it's as high as you suggest (and you're not for example on the other side of the no drops for some bug) it would seem ok though - apparently they've removed caps today so this is a big step forward! :)
    2) P2W is not "Pay and you will win" though, it is "Pay for an advantage that may help you win" - nothing has ever been the prior in the history of gaming, but the latter is becoming more and more common. :(
    3) Which is going to be significantly harder to keep up with, especially for F2P players.
  4. SirJMD

Insane regen rate.... I knew the game would become pay-to-win, and it now has.

So that's it, I'm out.
    • Up x 3
  5. Aircool

No they don't.
  6. Jalek

So where is the auction house to peddle these drops?
  7. Haquim

I can't really speak for the F2P players since I am a member, but I'm not even close to having energy problems, so I just can't see it.
    I really have trouble comprehending that whole P2W stuff. For one, everybody can get all the Implants for free just by playing. You don't even have to out of your way to fullfill a quest or BS like that. As I mentioned I can't see any energy problems either. So.... basically the only guys who would really need to use money are guys that want to have them NAO instead of waiting for the drops they need, and the guys who are really bad at managing their energy.

The first ones are free to use their money as they see fit, they might have an advantage the first few weeks or so, but the F2P guys will soon catch up - for free. Actually im GRATEFUL for everyone of those, since they keep my favorite FPS running.
    The second variant, well... they just have to learn to manage it better, just like they needed to learn everything else in this game. Don't go afk for 10 minutes till the server disconnects you while having an implant equipped and you save 300-600 Energy.

And frankly, we might just have different opinions what makes a game P2W.
    You say they can pay for any advantage so its P2W.
    I'm saying they can pay money for a minor advantage that you can get for free so its not P2W.
    In my book P2W starts when they introduce WoT "gold ammo style" which seems to be very well known. For the readers that don't know it: The PS2 equivalent would be an implant that runs on energy that only SC can generate and improves damage and/or accuracy.
    Actually I would riot at any implant that gives a bonus so huge as to become mandatory, like damage bonus, recoil reduction or damage mitigation, no matter what it runs on.
    • Up x 1
  8. Goretzu

P2W is not "you pay $5 and you can and will beat everyone that hasn't paid $5".

Theres never been a game that does that and likely never will be (as it would be monsterously stupid), there have however been games that are P2W with P2W options.

What you're saying is like suggesting if something isn't 100% then it is 0%, where as in reality something that is 1% to 99% does in fact have a value.

P2W is all about degrees and implemantions; PS2 membership is for example slightly P2W (because it allow you to use stuff like C4 much more easily) however it is in the realms of "acceptable" P2W (although probably dancing right on the edge of that).

In the case of implants the P2W aspect is determined by how easily a pure F2P player can maintain T3 implants (no so much on what advantage the Implants give as such - although there are several that do give significant advantages if you have them up 24/7).
  9. Haquim

Oh god a mathematician :D.
    Yes I can't deny your point about my definition of P2W. So lets redefine it:
    In my opinion a game has to offer access to an advantage for paying members that is not available to, or only obtainable by considerable effort for non-paying users.
    This advantage must be significant enough (assuming equal skill)for the paying member to come out on top in a 1on1 fight at least 70% of the time. Of course this 1on1 is a frontal clash, since ambushes etc make assumptions like that impossible.

So... actually I think the membership giving me 50% more res is a lot closer to that than the implants. Although I propably waste at least 75% of my income anyway by not using it in time which mitigates the effect for me, that might be different for other members though.
  10. Goretzu

Everything is maths, from biology to physics, hating it is like hating oneself. :eek:

The thing is you can get into an endless snake eating its tail semantical argument about what is or is not P2W.

But if enough people believe something is wrong it doesn't matter what you decide (or don't decide) to call it - it still remains wrong.

In this context F2P players not being able to maintain (although they might take a lot longer to get their favoured T3 in the first place) at least 1 x T3 implant with their normal gameplay would be wrong (and P2W as many would define it).

As for "genuine" P2W and "advantage" the concussion immunity would actually seem to give that, you will win if you use that offensively and you opponents aren't using it too.
  11. Haquim

Never said I hate math or matehmaticians. Actually as long as there is no i in it I quite enjoyed it at school. I think somebody said that math equals truth. He was propably right.

And yes we can discuss endlessly about that - I can only state my POV and try to convince whoever reads it that my point is acceptable, but of course I can't prove that it is RIGHT any better than I can prove the existence or nonexistence of god.

Let's just stop discussing and let me state my POV one last time:
    The advantages granted by this system are so minor ones copared to the ones you get for free, that I am grateful for everyone financing this great game for such a miniscule advantage in return.
    • Up x 1
  12. Goretzu

As I said I dunno about that, with things like concussion immunity & regen (and a few others) giving significant and genuine advantages.

If all the implants were as "useful" as ranger finder and the default targetting one then, yes it might be fine.
  13. RealityWarrior

ok. bye bye

but i have that same regen rate with out spending a penny so not sure how it is P2W since i am paying nothing but hey your choice, no matter how wrong you are.
  14. RealityWarrior

I say he is right ecasue so far, with out spending a penny, I am getting those same immunity and regen so not sure how you can say you have to pay to get the effects.
  15. Goretzu

Drop rates have been mixed to say the least (although now they've removed the cap it should get better).
  16. MrK

VS HA Regen implant was bugged, and had no timer. It's fixed in today's patch

Fell free to leave over a 1 day long bug :)
  17. SirJMD

That's all Planetside 2 is.. never ending patching with tons of bugs, which get fixed with duct tape, which the next patch breaks. It never ends.
  18. Tuco

guess we're stuck bartering

19. LibertyRevolution

Weh, they broke my regen implant.. implants are useless now.. :(
    I tried running it today.. waiting 12 secs..
    I felt like a drug addict with my medkit in my hand trying to not just stick it in my arm...

This delay on the regen is unacceptably long..
    I am not an ESF, I cannot afterburner out of the hex at 200+KPH to let my NAR kick in.
    Waiting 12 secs in the heat of a battle is eternity..
  20. Jalek

I'd agree, since you could redeploy faster.
    • Up x 1