After you die as MAX, makes you Light Assault

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meshblorg, May 8, 2014.

1. Iridar51

Respawning as LA after dying as MAX? What a horrid injustice, this has to be fixed rightaway. People who died as MAXes shouldn't respawn at all.

(sarcasm)
    • Up x 2
  2. Meshblorg

Yeah... annoying
  3. Meshblorg

This still annoys me.
    • Up x 1
  4. Demetrios

What do you mean, you people?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  5. Axehilt

I hope you're talking about the people complaining about the valid suggestion being made here.

The OP's suggestion would clearly be an improvement. It's disappointing to see so many posters mindlessly jump on the hate-the-OP bandwagon.
    • Up x 1
  6. DK22

you died? must be doing something wrong! :)
    gotta come back as something....
  7. Latrodectus

The valid suggestion? You (generally) have two different chances to change your class after you die as a MAX. I do not find anything valid about the OP's complaint because it's not even a QOL change, because some of us might want to play a different class than the one we picked before going MAX. So I'm not sure what valid suggestion you're talking about.
  8. Axehilt

Would the game be better or worse if it didn't remember your loadout?

After all, you get two different chances to change your loadout after you die.

Given the obvious answer to that question: would the game be better or worse if it didn't remember your previous class?

And that's why the OP's suggestion is completely reasonable. It's a small, quick-to-implement quality of life improvement.
    • Up x 1
  9. Malfice

What do YOU mean, you people?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  10. Latrodectus

Except you don't always get two chances to change your load out. For example, I might redeploy out of my MAX suit to deploy into a Galaxy. Perhaps I would like to spawn as a Medic instead of the Infiltrator I was before. The choice with more options is always the right choice.
  11. Sagabyte

Ejection seat from max anyone?
  12. Axehilt

You always get a chance to change your loadout and class, and this just improves the quality of life so that (like loadouts) the game remembers your class. No choices are eliminated (apart from the unexpected, required choice the game forces upon you currently by not remembering your class.)

It really isn't complicated, I'm not sure why you'd go out of your way to pretend this would be bad for the game. It would inarguably improve the game, it's simply a matter of whether the brief ~2 hours of work (including testing) to implement this would be better spent elsewhere. Given how short it would likely be to implement, the value-per-hour sounds pretty dang high.
    • Up x 1
  13. HLM

How about every time you spawned, your class was given whatever the game decided should be the "default" loadout, instead of whatever you had last equipped? You go into battle expecting to have the rifle you were using before you died, only to find you're now holding a shotgun. Sure you had a chance to re-select your weapons, but why not just skip that inconvenience and let the game remember?

It's a simple improvement that has no negative side to it. No, it's not some huge problem that needs immediate attention but just another little thing that would make the game less annoying.
    • Up x 1
  14. Codex561

Cause #LightAssaultMasterRace #FTW
  15. Kid Gloves

I agree with the OP; it's a QOL issue that it doesn't do it.

If the user never opted to be light assault, the game should not make them light assault.

I understand why it happens, and I understand that it's not the end of the world that it does happen. But changing this would make the game better.
    • Up x 1
  16. Kid Gloves

I agree with everything you said except the point I highlighted. :D

One thing I've learned with any games dev. is you can never assume something is quick to implement because it seems simple on the surface. :D

Would it be a great QOL improvement? Heck yes! Quick to implement? Maybe. Or it might require ripping up and refactoring huge chunks of the codebase... (vehicle loadout swapping, I'm looking at you!)
  17. Pirbi

Because you aren't getting to heaven without a jetpack.
  18. Axehilt

That may be the case, but likely isn't in this case (whereas with vehicle loadout swapping it's easy to see why that could be a major refactor.)

Even a simple hack could change your class to the right thing at the loadout screen (have the game remember your last 2 classes if it's not doing that already, then when you reach that screen if your last class was MAX set your currently selected class to the class before that unless it's also MAX (in case that was for some reason possible).)

(13 years in the game industry here.)
  19. Kid Gloves

Sure, it's unlikely to be a major change. But without opening up the codebase and looking for myself, I'm making no assumptions. :)

(hurrah! more games dev types! 16 for me so far)