HELP: Silencer on TR Carbines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AverageGuy, May 18, 2014.

1. AverageGuy

I have a 2 character in Connery, a BR 50 VS and a BR 46 NC. My primary class are an LA and an Infiltrator because I can always adapt with the situation with these two and my prefer approach is stealth.

VS: really love the magrider even though I'm average at it but their medium ranged weapons, I can't adapt to it but I I'm okay with their SMG.

NC: I always use the Lightning as my primary offensive vehicle, can't handle the vanguard >.< and their infantry weapons, I love them, slow - medium RoF weapons suits me fine as long as the damage is balance, Silencer + Soft/High velocity ammo + grip makes the weapon fun for me to use but I always find myself in CQC situation.. with a TR :\

TR: I got a BR 10 TR in Connery. I unlocked AMC at the beginning, love the sound and damage it gives even the stock weapons is frickin' fun use both hip-fire and ADS but after I put a silencer on it BAM! I takes a long time to kill them, longer than the other factions weapons. I can see the difference with or without the use of silencer.

What carbine should I use if I were to use a silencer ? If there aren't any, what mindset should I have if I were to.. go loud?
  2. Latrodectus

Go loud with the Jaguar.
    • Up x 2
  3. Hoki

The jag is still magical, but for some reason I find the new lynx 2.0 to be equally beast and more fun at the same time.

It just feels meaner.
    • Up x 3
  4. Tommyp2006

Jag, Lynx, and Trac5 are all perfectly servicable with a silencer.
    • Up x 2
  5. minhalexus

Silencer should only be used on LAs and Infils, in small fights where you may personally be targeted.
    In large fights, you are likely to be spotted anyways so it diminishes the purpose of suppressor.

No point in using the Silencer on HA, they are you want people to come at you.
    Medics and Engies are usually behind cover, so no point in using a silencer on them either.
    • Up x 3
  6. DashRendar

Loving the new Lynx on my TR. Only thing I don't like is how fast it blows through ammo. Other than that, fantastic weapon in most regards.

SOE - I'd much prefer this approach for ES weapons than most I've seen. Power/traits/unique feel etc. The Lynx 2.0 is TR 100% now buff the MCG accuracy and/or DPS slightly.
    • Up x 1
  7. CactusLynx

Daily reminder the Lynx still has the lowest TTK at minimum damage range.
    • Up x 1
  8. Epic High Five

NEVER use a silencer

ESPECIALLY never use a silencer on a weapon with more than 1 tier of damage dropoff. A silencer not only takes 5m off your maximum damage range but also 25m off your minimum damage range. Noticed how it suddenly took forever to kill anyone once the suppressor was applied? That's why. If you graph it out it's pretty steep, especially considering you're probably already spotted by darts or sensors or radar
    • Up x 4
  9. AverageGuy

Jaguar and Lynx, I'll test them out later and then I'll decided which one to buy.

@minhalexus: You got very good point there. I'll use it depending on the situation. I just need to adapt to this type of gameplay since I usually use silencer on all my weapons except for Sniper Rifles and the other 3 classes.

Me and HA doesn't go well together, I just don't know why. I envy the person who excels at HA.

Thanks for the tips guys.
  10. GhostAvatar

All the carbines drop at least two damage tiers. In some cases it is three. I have a feeling they use the Pulsar C on VS. If that is the case then it might be a damage tier issue, where the 143 damage tier extra bullet to kill distance would come sooner with a suppressor attached than 163. I don't know for sure as I have never graphed that scenario. But if that is the case, then they want to go for the Cougar.
  11. Kunavi

After extensive use of suppressors(I made it a deal to really see if they are viable, and wanted to like them no end) on ALL my weapons on ALL classes, I can only tell you to NEVER use one.

1. Rely on the target's lack of awareness, there's plenty.
    2. If you want to ambush, "Element of Surprise" done right then reset, tramples trying to hide behind your finger while going for consecutive silent Kills. Face it, you will be Spotted, Scanned, VOIP spotted, you will show on the Map("1-12 Enemies Detected") and if you walk close to Points or mess with Generators or Terminals or even Turrets people will know you're there. Even if you get some Kills silently it will show for EVERYONE in the region. And I think the Death Screen does give people a general idea of where you were, not too annoying but it's there.
    3. Nature SLOOOOOOOOOWS DOOOOOOOOOWN for you, EVERYONE else is on steroids. That's how it feels firing with suppressors on.
    4. Dmg!?
    5. Draw attention. It can be good, it can be used to bait. Though not solely for that purpose ;P
    6. Shots put people on alert. Some will get stressed. It can't hurt you, only them.
    7. You won't survive long enough to plan some Elite TacticLOL Stealth Plan of Awesomeness. Go in, do some Dmg, farm some KD... Back to Spawn Room ;)
    8. Strange explanation follows, bear with me a little; As with most accessories, a suppressor trades a % of Jack-Of-All-Trades of your weapons for a % of being better in SOME circumstances. Few I should say. But the trade is bad in this case as suppressors strip weapons of too much of their JOAT capability.
    9. Doesn't work well with certain other accessories, mixing the wrong ones can leave you with a weapon that is mediocre at best.
    10. So many sounds during a fight, your target won't focus on your shots. Tested. Doesn't matter what kind of sound set up people have, from a point on fights become so loud and messy it's not worth relying on hearing. You're safer than you think, on average.
    11. Even if you do show on the Map when firing, it's not for too long so don't fret over it. There's even an Implant that will affect this, though about that, I think it should be how Stealth works for vehicles by default and not an Implant. And that for Infantry it should be a Suit Slot item instead of NanoWeave.
    12. You still show on Thermal and IRNV.
    13. This is not Splinter Cell, The Division, Ghost Recon or R6. It's not even BattleField. Arcade/FPS means that ultimately suppressors are just a bit more usefull than they would be in UT2004 if it had any.

Suppressors as well as some other accessories need a serious dose of "Scrap-And-Start-Over". That's from a person who, a while back, thought there is no way he'd run with no suppressor ever. I really landed on my ***, on this one.
    • Up x 3
  12. Kunavi

On 11 in particular, I wish there was some Infiltrator tool that masked signatures of allies on Map or an active Jammer, or a Jammer that when fired(Used) clears out the Map of allied "Bleeps" instantly. Commander Abilities should include denying the opposition information about how many targets are in a region and even stop Points and Generators/Turrets/Terminals from blinking when interacted with. Heck, block their Capture Timer even... For a while.
  13. Mxiter

I generally hates using silencer, especially with close range weapons:
    -It have low velocity (wich is worse with supressor).
    -is already weak enouth at range.
    I prefer keeping some sort of versatility with Trac-5/Jag/Lynx.

On the other hand, the T5AMC have a very high velocity+HVA and have already so low TTK that you always needs to score HS with it.
    And the comp isn't necesary since it have a very low vertical recoil.

Good loadout for sneaky close-mid range from high position: all you need is to aim the heads (wich are more accessible from high positions)
    • Up x 1
  14. Aegie

I just recently unlocked the silencer for the AMC, mostly just to see. I was actually quite surprised how effective I was at taking people out in smaller engagements but you really have to focus on landing headshots- fortunately not too tough to do with AMC but yeah it will take a fair portion of the mag and if you cannot get those headshots somewhat consistently then it will take a long time.

In general, most people will only recommend the silencers for 1) small fights with 2) high DPS weapons when you are in 3) CQC to mid range only. Generally good recommendations though I find you can still participate in some longer range work in small enough engagements if you have some friendlies nearby to help.

My biggest issue with the game lately is how every shot is a gigantic tracer. The silencer can be useful sometimes but often I think it provides too much of a sense of safety. It is really annoying how often I equip a silencer, fire half a mag in bursts and then get singled out by all the lone snipers or anyone else in the area because of the ridiculous "SHOOT HERE" arrows coming out of the barrel.

IMO, that is partly why the silencer is not so great on the AMC and silencers in general not so great for TR- since the damage tier tends to be a little lower you are required to fire more shots, firing more shots means firing more "SHOOT ME" tracers, firing more "SHOOT ME" tracers negates the intended effect of the silencer (to mask your position).

I really wish they would just get rid of the silly tracer rounds all together but I guess that would take too much away from the casual.
    • Up x 1
  15. lilleAllan

I'd put it on a weapon with good bullet velocity, like T5 AMC with HVA.
  16. repairtool6

First off. Don't use supressors in general, and only for cqc

BUT if you really really want to:
    #1) MKV (by far best supressed option in game. No contest)
    or
    #2) Fast ROF carbine with HVA sometimes work okey (Trac5 Burst)
  17. AverageGuy

Tried playing last night for a couple of hours. Unfortunately, the entire time I played, there was no heavy firefight :\ A few hours later after I stopped playing and when back in, voila! TR were in a fight against NC and VS.

I even managed to test out the other class of TR. Feels like I'm going off topic but anyway..

LA: Decided to not use a silencer and just go loud with the stock, won almost all my CQC situation. Had fun doing hit and run tactics. Looking forward for the Lynx and then a couple of C4s.

Infiltrator: Since I already bought the latest NS SMG, I equipped Soft Point Ammo and used hit and run tactics. Had a blast.

HA: Still not used to using this class, my timing of activating the shield is very terrible.

Combat Medic: I only manage to test it out for a few minutes, the stock gun's recoil is very controllable. Among all the classes, Combat Medic is the one I really want to use due to their amazing assault rifles regardless of faction but I can't use it since I'm an attacking type player.

18. AnnPerkins

use a silenced secondary if you want stealth mode. If you have money to burn the crossbow is good (and with explosive bolts is great for helping finish off sundys you c4) Otherwise the Emporer is a good choice. If you're cert poor the repeater is still pretty decent at close range with a silencer on it.
  19. Brenold

i love silencers but they're really only useful with LAs. basically the only advantage is masking you on the map, so as an LA this lets you do some sneaky fun stuff like shooting from rooftops/tree branches or shooting guys/entering buildings using 2nd floor windows or from the roof instead of the doors... However this severely limits your range and you need to compensate for less damage with the element of surprise that your tactical approach is hoping for.... You can somewhat offset the range loss with HVA.
    on other classes masking your map signature is less useful unless you are in a small scale battle. (like occasionally i run a medic with a silenced weapon and hang back... so I can take potshots while behind friendlies doing battle and mostly hide behind cover, and if they die i can sneak up and rez them and have the ability to engage anyone i encounter without announcing my position to nearby enemies) but in large battles there is no hiding.

I personally like a silenced lynx on my LA, with a foregrip and bursting fire I can still perform adequately at medium range (once again using the stealth to my advantage, i may be less accurate/weaker hitting but enemy wont fire back as fast if he cant find me as easily) and with the beastly ROF making up for the silencer's negative effects at cqc.

infiltrators have cloak. so i dont bother with the supressor. you can just cloak out of the map. nearby enemies will however have an idea of where you are within that short period of when you fired and when you cloaked so they will know where to start looking for you, so a suppressor is not totally useless just because of the cloak.. If infiltrators had carbines or ARs i would consider it, but with SMGs your range is limited as it is so i dont bother... suppressors only mask your map signature to enemies close to you when you fire (you dont show up on the map of enemies who are 80m away i think) so its less useful on sniper rifles unless you are positioned somewhere near enemies because once again you can just cloak and usually you are shooting from distance to begin with.
  20. Catch23

silencers give you the benefits of flash suppressors without their COF bloom penalty. so they are especially useful at night.

the damage drop-off penalty is the biggest downside if you you can lead a target. Velocity-wise many players are spoiled from playing HA. even 300 m/s is good enough at 40 meters.

As LA, or any other class flanking without others covering their back, it's very useful to not get mini-map detected after the first shot. Plus good players will always identify tracers.

if you engage multiple enemies other than luring them to your position, a suppressor offers more advantages than disadvantages. especially better players will focus on the minimap in large fights, with a silencer chances are pretty good that you can surprise more than one target each life.

if you don't have shields or cloak the element of surprise is your counter. even on infiltrators I use silenced SMGs

if you stay stationary surrounded and covered by your squad and just shoot at things or you like zerging, don't use a silencer.