Question for pilots

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Get2dachoppa, May 18, 2014.

1. Get2dachoppa

So I'm running as a stalker cloak Infiltrator and I sneak up a hillside to take care of at least one sniper in a small battle. I successfully flank the sniper, he's about 10-15m or so in front of me. I'm waiting patiently for him to stop fidgeting because I'm using the crossbow and I want to make the headshot for a one hit kill.

Then in swoops a low flying Reaver that blasts me with a couple dead on shots and flies off. WTF??? I take a good, close look at the death screen. No scout radar on his ESF. I hadn't moved for probably 15 seconds and there were no recon darts or motion sensors in the area either. The sniper himself was clearly oblivious to my presence but yet this pilot was able to make a dead accurate strafing run and pick me off like I was standing there clear as day. How is this possible?
  2. FigM

Everybody flies with Thermal vision on their nose guns. It makes infantry easy to spot at fairly large distance. If you uncloak even for a second while he was using thermal, you'll get spotted right away

Also, death screen info is often incorrect about loudouts
    • Up x 1
  3. Kid Gloves

A couple of options leap to mind:

1) there was a scout radar in the area; the ESF that tagged you doesn't have to be the one carrying it.

2) you de-cloaked in preparation for the shot and lit up on his thermals like a christmas tree light
  4. SNAFUS

I have spoken with a few infiltrators that were supposedly cloaked when I approached yet I was able to see them for a small moment. Now this leads me to believe with how frequently it happens that either they wait to long to cloak and I spot them or there is a render bug issue with cloaking when an aircraft first comes within infantry render range. I might also add that because of this I have received quite a few hackusations, I will try and test this later but a render range bug is very likely to exist in my opinion.
    • Up x 1
  5. tZonkD

At times (it's rare though) i have seen cloaked infills with their head or guns visible, if it was just the one time and you did not decloak perhaps thats it.

Given the assortment of latency, bugs and just random stuff that happens in the game, i would not put much into it if its a singular event. If it happens often and from the same player/s on the other hand its worth further investigation.

Also try asking the dood that for you how he spotteds you. Many ppl are quite happy to chat and provide tips cross-faction even in game.
  6. Get2dachoppa

Just to clarify, I never uncloaked. Had Stalker Cloak so I was cloaked the entire time it took to get into position and then I stayed motionless and cloaked once I got there while waiting for my chance to shoot the sniper.

Didn't know this about incorrect loadouts on the death screen, but even if its true this guy kept buzzing around the area and picking up more kills. Not once did I see a radar dish on the top of his Reaver.

As for other scout radar in the area - there were no other ESFs around. I also think it highly unlikely a scout Flash was around as the sniper right in front of me wasn't aware of my presence and I didn't have any other enemy infantry swarming around the area trying to find me before the Reaver made his attack run. The terrain wasn't very suitable for a Flash to be anywhere near me either.
  7. Get2dachoppa

I did. I sent him a message saying I was suspicious how he saw a stalker cloaked infiltrator from the air without scout radar and his only response was "magic".
  8. current1y

Asking politely how he spotted you and telling some one you think they could be cheating are two really different ways to go about it. I'm not surprised you got a smart *** response.
  9. SafetyDance

Eat lots of carrots.
    • Up x 1
  10. GaBeRock

With rocketpods or the AI nosegun the pilot doesn't have to right on. They could have blasted your general area with a whole salvo to find where you were, which seemed instantaneous to you because of client side hit detection.
  11. Get2dachoppa

Not denying that, but he had an opportunity to give me an answer and didn't.

No, his shots were precise and it was his nosegun, not rocketpods. Like I said, I was crouched and cloaked behind one of his faction's infiltrators. I can't imagine too many pilots would think to just randomly blast an area right around one of their own friendlies. He obviously knew right where I was, I'm just trying to figure out how.
  12. Silvermyst

Maybe he was trying to TK and missed. :p
    • Up x 1
  13. GaBeRock

Was it the AH, the vortek, the (think it's called the antares, the high capacity nosegun), or the stock nosegun?
  14. PWGuy93

Will confirm this from my play. Pulled a vehicle which exploded in glorious flames crossing a bridge nearly instantly. The death screen showed the player in a prowler, showed a red line pointing to his location which wasn't even in the area. I confronted the player about insta death and moving targets and he was twitch streaming his play and claimed he was in a liberator, had placed mines on the bridge from a previous battle. The death screen isn't always accurate.
  15. IamnotAmazing

if you have thermals off it's not that hard to notice a shimmer that's your cloak
    • Up x 1
  16. Tommyp2006

I have a feeling that if you go into an area, and run into somebody who was cloaked before you entered the area, the cloak doesn't show up for them. Like how sometimes even when you turn off the laser sight, it can still be visible to some people.
  17. Get2dachoppa

That wouldn't surprise me with the luck I have sometimes. :(

AH

Understood now. But I did watch him as he continued to fly around the area and never saw a radar dish on top of his aircraft either. I'll admit its possible maybe I just didn't see it, but I was suspicious at this point and trying to pay close attention for it. So I think its highly unlikely I would have missed seeing it as he was coming in low for his attacks.

Even when an Infiltrator is crouched, in deep cloak and hasn't moved for over 10 seconds? No infantry in that battle noticed me while I was using stalker cloak, but this pilot did from the air while moving at a decent speed.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its kind of my nature to be analytical like this and figure out what happened so I appreciate the feedback.
  18. IamnotAmazing

that seems weird, probably some sort of radar you didn't realize, or he was getting rid of the last round of the ah and he happened to hit you because reaver shotgun
  19. GaBeRock

There tou go. The airshotgun has dispersed, explosive pellets, so the pilot likely just blasted the whole area after seeing you while originally uncloaked with thermal. They could probably predict your general direction as well.
    • Up x 1
  20. Get2dachoppa

Except as I already stated I had NEVER uncloaked. From spawn room to my final position, I was cloaked the entire time using stalker cloak. Spotting me with thermal is completely out of the question unless there is a bug or something else going on.