[Idea] More Warpgate Immersion

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NaySayer, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaySayer

2. BobSanders123

Being part of the TR I can say that faction pride has dwindled from when I was just a small BR 1. In my late 60s I can say this would totally boost faction pride as well as creating an increase in coordination along with a decrease in teamkilling. Everyone on Connery used to say thank you, sorry, and all that stuff.... Now when someone tks you, they never send a tell saying sorry... Or whenever ammo is dropped or a revive is administered both people merely walk away.....
    • Up x 1
  3. Tylerso12

bump
    • Up x 1
  4. RainbowDash9

bu bu bu bump booooiiii
    • Up x 1
  5. Tylerso12

bump
    • Up x 1
  6. DirArtillerySupport

When I first heard they were making PS2 all I could think was I can't wait to see the new Sanctuary.
    • Up x 1
  7. NaySayer

8. NC supporter

Adding NPC's would take forever for SOE. The realism behind ideas certainly has decreased on forumside. The banners and stuff like that wouldn't be a problem but having AI that are automated, have dialogue specifically made and will auto alternate will take forever.
  9. NaySayer

10. Llamar

How about NPCs in the warpgate for each faction like leaders or something?
  11. NaySayer

12. NaySayer

13. FireclawX

Neat thread, while we're at it (suggesting improvements to the WG) Might I suggest that Squad and Platoon leaders have access to these loudspeakers. So kinda like proxy chat where it fades out the further away you get, but the people who are currently leading squads and platoons can yell tell all the blue shirts where their needed. Ofc, you'd have to cert into it (like leader chat) and there should be a BR requirement of at least 20.

If the above idea doesn't float your boat. It'd be pretty much the same thing if there was an automated voice that would call out messages kinda like "Reinforcements needed xyz location (insert some faction lore here)" and the locations would be bound to where the squad/platoon leaders add offensive and defensive requests...
    • Up x 2
  14. NaySayer

Bump
    All awesome ideas apply, doesn't have to be just in the warpgate.
    • Up x 1
  15. Silvermyst

Exactly!

My idea here is an example of this.
  16. Dasubur

YES YES!

PLEASE I"M THROWING MY MONEY AS HARD AS I CAN!
    • Up x 2
  17. Jaycemonde

Instead of just saying bump, I'm gonna suggest everyone take a good, long look at all the ideas in the last thirteen pages.
    And then spam SOE with them in emails.

This stuff seriously is gold. It could be what takes Planetside 2 beyond a simple "Battlefield with bigger maps" and truly make it that awesome outlier its predecessor was.
    • Up x 2
  18. Dasubur

Its everything I've wanted in this game and more.

Right now you don't feel like your part of the action, you feel like your going to a day job, this game needs more things to increase team spirit.
  19. ColonelChingles

You know, I was just thinking about the "too many AI NPCs would slow down PS2" counter argument to this.

Then I remembered that H1Z1, SOE's Zombie MMOFPS, does have zombies with what Smedley has called "emergent AI", or non-scripted adaptive AI.

If we assume that H1Z1 might be as populated as PS2 (which is a big assumption but I think SOE might have it in mind), then H1Z1 would show that you can have a MMOFPS game with a large number of players alongside a number of AI NPC actors.
  20. Silvermyst

Except that the zombie's AI is probably fairly simple and straightforward.

They'd probably move from place to place, and when you see players run directly at them other than moving around corners and attack with melee.

The moving to place to place is the most technical part, because as so far as I understand H1Z1 will have zombies slowly spawn at settlements, then when a particular settlement gets overpopulated, a bunch will form a horde and move to another empty settlement.

On a small scale, a good PS2 bot would need to move from place to place finding cover, then choose whether or not to engage the enemy, and if they do attack in such a way that they still use cover and choose ranges appropriate for their weapons. (ie: not getting too close when using a long ranged weapon, pushing in more aggressively when using a shotgun or SMG)

On top of that they would need to adapt their loadouts in accordance to the situation, and move from base to base in an intelligent manner, choosing where they're needed.

All that is an awful lot harder to code, at least if you want it coded well so that they'd actually be interesting to fight beside and against. And it'd also take a lot more server power, which is already lacking in PS2. (bad hit detection stems out of the already stressed servers, for example)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.