Thoughts On Rocket Balancing (AI)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NoctD, May 15, 2014.

1. jiggu

Well all three of those are probably less than 5% of my deaths, so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. Scatmaxes being the biggest of them all but I kill more maxes than they kill me(as infantry)
  2. jiggu

Dropping a bunch of names of experienced players and saying that if they have issues with X it has to be OP is just silly. They can be great at some things and bad at others. Unless american servers are massively different and half the heavies there try this "rocket primary" you speak of, unlike EU where I rarely see it happen, and when it does it usually fails, you're just pulling stuff out of nothing. And "hurr I'm better than you" proves nothing either.
    • Up x 2
  3. Fortress

I do not need to learn to play and I think rockets need an AI nerf.

If you have any clue what you are doing, rockets can have a near guaranteed chance of working with the user surviving. The fact that you don't understand that means you probably should play more and post less.
    • Up x 1
  4. GhostAvatar

Lock ons do not have the best velocity. This was patched a while back, so they don't accelerate to max velocity unless a lock is achieved.
    • Up x 2
  5. JackD

Forumside has a huge problem with OHKs which is why they hate everything that can do that, vehicles, Infiltrators, C4 and Rocketlaunchers.
    • Up x 4
  6. SavageBacon

While I despise rocket primary'ing and think the people who say "oh if you miss you're dead" have no idea how and when rocket primaries are commonly used, I also think you can mitigate their effect by having more points of entry for LAs to exploit. Nothing like an opening in the roof to chuck a c4 or flashbang down and see the ensuing chaos that occurs moments later.
  7. Flashtirade

The day rockets no longer OHK people (without at least rank 3 to max flak armor) is the day I leave this game forever and never come back. The pandering to the lowest common denominator has to stop somewhere. All they have to do is make the rocket severely damage or outright kill the user (even with the shield up) so that people are discouraged from using their launchers in close quarters but they retain their effectiveness.
    • Up x 3
  8. Devrailis

I wouldn't leave if Rockets stopped OHKing people, but I do think that rocket splash at point blank needs to severely affect the user as well. For the longest time, I thought it was a bug that the heavy's own rocket splash to the face did minimal damage.

And I think this point really needs to be hammered home repeatedly, rather than nerf the rocket, we should be seeing buffs or additional options for infantry to resist rocket fire instead. Grow the game instead of scaling it back.
  9. GeneralPeragorn

I think this complaining about RL proves that the game is at a nice point in balance. If people complain about this, which nets a really small KPM and rarely happens, then people really have run out of things to complain about.
    • Up x 1
  10. Hiding in VR

RL need no change at all. They are not OP, they are inefficient at killing infantry and people need to stop asking for them to be balanced as though this game was a duel.
    • Up x 1
  11. Hiding in VR

:rolleyes:

The RL user will take out one opponent. If they aren't then dead due to the other players with "proper" anti-infantry weapons then you are either lone-wolfing (and I don't care about your opinion) or your mates are rubbish (and I don't care about your opinion)
    • Up x 2
  12. SavageBacon

Thr rocket has splash, you can effectively get more than one target, though they have to be weakened. It's especially useful for clearing doorways of mines C4 and always a nice kicker to kill am enemy with their own resources.
  13. Drippyskippy

What? I wasn't trying to say "oh well good players are saying rocket primary's are OP so it must be OP". I was saying that you're telling players who are better than you to L2P. Which I find SILLY. Reading comprehension is very important. Yes, I imagine Matherson is very different in comparison to other servers. I have heard our metagame is more advanced than most servers.

I guess you didn't take my advice. Let me give you more advice. Before making random assumptions and drawing false conclusions about someone's post. You should read and understand a post that another person is making before you decide to respond to their post. If you are from the EU and don't have the best grasp on English then I apologize.
  14. jiggu

I'm sure you know people who are better than me, even though they have issues with things I do not. Reading comprehension ho
  15. jiggu

If you have any idea of what you're doing you have a near guaranteed chance of working with the user surviving, with all guns. The fact that you don't understand that means you probably should play more and post less.

See I can do this too.
  16. Konstantinn

Solution in search of a problem. Rockets are fine, you got killed by one, get over it please. Happens to everyone. If you're quick enough you can side step them, flack armor helps a lot too.
  17. NC_agent00kevin

Give us an uncut version of how effective it is to kill with rawkets...not some montage edited to show only what you want it to show. There was a guy who made a C85 montage and it looked like a scary, awesome, OP weapon. But its not and it wasnt. I made a video of me shooting down ESFs and Libs with an AP Lightning and it looked like I was just out there blasting everything I saw out of the sky...but thats not how it works.

So by all means make us an uncut video showing how you can more effectively kill Infantry without support and only your rocket launcher.

Im not against this because I do it. Im against it because nerfing rockets against Infantry nerfs and defense/offense in CQC environments where 12 guys stack up in a room pounding two small doorways. Im against it because of Pump Action shotguns which are far more effective. Im against it because one could take a sniper rifle into a CQC environment and do better than a guy trying to be a Rocket Warrior. I think this is the dumbest thing anyone could gripe about in the game, especially a talented player.

Its a rare thing to even happen and I laugh about it when it does. If that dude didnt kill me someone else would have. There are so many other things in this game that can one shot you; complaining that a rocket did it is just silly.
    • Up x 1
  18. Konfuzfanten

I dont get it. Why change the launchers at all?

The rocket launcher primary playing style is one of the few true high risk-high reward playing styles in the game:
    a) you miss, you die
    b) you hit, you win

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!
  19. NoctD

You talk about risk/reward, honestly it doesn't take much skill to body shot someone with a G2A/G2G launcher. Even with a BASR, you have to headshot to OHK. That's arguably higher risk than any rocket primary, because the chances of missing that headshot is higher.

Why does it take...

2 G2A rockets to kill an ESF
    1 default dumb fire to likely kill ESF (put it into redline)
    1 Decimator to totally wipe an ESF

That's all the launcher balance there needs to be. Balance ease of use and risk/reward accordingly... you're obviously taking a much higher risk with a Decimator since you're more likely to miss, its slower, it had a ton more drop, you have less missiles, etc. Thus you should be rewarded according to skill based weapon usage.

If this was made so - then I don't see how people can make any valid complains about rocket primaries anymore. Given that the highest reward as a rocket primary would also involve taking the most risk.

That's balance. I'm fine with rocket primaries, but their effectiveness should be commiserate with their ease of use.
  20. Donaldson Jones

Stop camping the teleport rooms from easily viewable/obvious places and the amount of infantry killed by rocket launchers would be reduced by half.
    • Up x 1