[Suggestion] Command Chat Refund and Restructure

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hibiki54, May 15, 2014.

1. Hibiki54

Hey folks.

Lately, I have been frustrated with people on command chat. There are instances where it is a boon, as you are able to somewhat coordinate with others and actually work as multiple teams on a company or battalion level. But there are more times when it is a hinderance -- idiots who do not listen, people who do not cooperate and people who purchase command chat but mute the channel. This is a problem since most people only want Command Chat to give orders.

I think I have a solution.

And that solution is to refund Command Chat across the board for all accounts and restructure it into tiers that give access to certain benefits. It would be a five level tier (homage to Command Ranks in PS1) in which each tier will cost a certain amount of certification points and level requirement.

Command
    • Rank 1 - Requires Level 10 / 10 Certs -- This will allow you to place down way points for your squad and allow you to set squad objectives by using the radial menu when spotting a target.
    • Rank 2 - Requires Level 20 / 50 Certs -- This allows the squad leader to have access to the ability to request reinforcements on the mini or main map using the right-click drop down menu. Unlocking this rank also gives squad leaders the ability to send recall notifications to their squad members to redeploy to their nearest available spawn to the squad leader.
    • Rank 3 - Requires Level 35 / 100 Certs -- This allows access to Platoon Leader options and allow a Platoon Leader to retain abilities as a squad leader would. Unlocking this feature allows the Platoon Leader to set a global objective allowing other allied forces that a friendly force is operating in that area.
    • Rank 4 - Requires Level 40 / 200 Certs -- This allows the squad leader the ability to access the Leader tab in the chat box allowing communication via text cross continent to other leaders of the same rank.
    • Rank 5 - Requires Level 60 / 1000 Certs -- This allows the ability to send out Global Orders to all allies across all continents. Additionally, this gives the player access to the private Command Comm Channel to help further coordinate with other squads or platoons.

That should fix a lot of peoples hatred of Command Chat.
    • Up x 4
  2. LibertyRevolution

The only reason we cert into command chat is to use /orders..
    I don't want to listen to these armchair generals discussing how l33t their outfit is, so it gets muted.

PL should always be a squad leader.. that solves that issue your having with not having your squad lead tools..

How about...
    Rank 1 is request reinforcements.
    Rank 2 is global /orders.
    Rank 3 is leader voice chat.

Then we can cert into the actually useful items and not have to mute command chat??

They should just make /orders a separate cert from command channel..
    • Up x 3
  3. FateJH

You can't fix Command Channel without getting rid of all the people in it.
    • Up x 3
  4. BITES

Title Reads
    "Command Chat Refund and Restructure"

At least try to read eh?
  5. FateJH

I did read. My opinion does not change.

Also, I don't think any of this changes anything. All it does is created additional barriers to existing squad, platoon, and command mechanics, an artificial barrier that just requires level and certification and once you get to whatever prize tier you can ignore any of the others. If the problem statement is "idiots who do not listen, people who do not cooperate and people who purchase command chat but mute the channel" then none of this is solved by this tiered system. They still don't have to listen. They still don't have to agree to cooperate. They still can just mute the channel. I agree with LibertyRevolution that a lot of people will eye /orders as their goal.

Also, I am outright opposed to your Rank 1 idea. People should always have access to squad-level functionality if they are leading a squad, even if by that I am only indicating access to the squad waypoint.
    • Up x 2
  6. z1967

BR really does not limit people from spamming /L or leader voice chat. A certain member of Connery TR, who shall not be named, is a BR 70 (which meets all of your requirements), is an outfit leader, and spams the voice chat with music, false orders, or drunken words. Connery TR, you know exactly who I am talking about. Anywho, the problem with your suggestion is that it would only make leader chat even deader than it already is.

If anything, it should be limited based on a CR rating. Experience that Platoon/squad members get whilst near your waypoints or objective points, reward you with a CR point. Everyone starts at CR0. CR1 is about 20 BRs worth of CR experience, CR2 is 40BRs, and so on. Capturing large bases would give 10x the CR points than XP points (small is 4x, medium is 7x). This feels like it would be better than BR based as you wouldn't have to farm your way to actually talk to the other commanders.

Besides, all you need to do is wait for all the useful people to stop talking and then mute the idiot. Someone spamming music? Muted. Asking for reinforcements on Esamir during an Indar Alert? Muted. Asking for help on Math homework? Muted, after directing them to wolfram alpha for help. Muting the annoying guys is better than muting anyone without the certs/BR for it.
    • Up x 1
  7. Nogrim313

how does any of this help? it makes people even less likely to want to lead, ffs its already hard enough to get platoon leaders due to how clunky the system is and howmuch it hurts your play experience.

now your suggesting it gets buried under a 1360 cert requirement?

the 200 points sink is already a waste for 99% of players what the hell makes you think anyone would spend 1300 certs to listen to the same idiots babble? the ones your ******** about in command chat will just re cert it to coordinate anyway most of them have 1000's of certs saved up already

all this would do is shut everyone else out of it indefinitely
  8. EvilKoala

How about a command communication system that doesn't require unlocks of any kind? What kind of nonsense is it to require certs so you can coordinate?
  9. ChampagneDragon

Command chat should be EARNED, just like in PS1. You won't keep the idiots out, but at least they'll have to work for it.

I also think that at any time if a majority in command chat decide someone should be ignored the /orders functionality should be shut down. That stops certain people from pushing orders that directly contradict what the command as a whole is pushing.
  10. minhalexus

I think a player must at least be BR 40, before he gets to do any squad or platoon leading.
    Its really dumb when low BR players squad lead, and are unaware of any tactics that are effective in this game.

BR 80, before he gets to give global orders.
  11. Zapon

I came to this game from MAG- where anyone could lead, and while high level players were slightly more likely to be selected to lead platoons(and COMPANIES) , they werent barred.

Possibly the biggest reason I still play this game and will continue to do so- is because i can still lead large groups of people in teamwork-orientated goals , even after MAG died 2 months ago

And plus, they are bringing COMPANIES to the game in july-

your proposed changes would screw that up when they revamp comms for Companies

ANyway- im level 51 as of this post, and have established myself as the possibly last dedicated leader of randoms on Waterson(which means I am not a sticker for who I lead)

If those changes had been in play- I wouldn't have been able ot coordinate with other outfits at all, and i wouldn't have been able to run >48 person ops(companies arent in game yet)

- I would have not had the enjoyment i've had so far

So, I'm to support a system that restricts command chat further?

A while ago, on Waterson's VS command there was a leader who was obnoxious nad wanted others to shutup and never use command chat- he eventually left, and since then, Command chat has been respectful - plus i've gotten a lot of newer leaders and brought them onto it- and We've become a force for good that doesn't go around insulting others- because frankly., we need every man we can get due to us being heavily underpopped by a LOT every single time-

I'm not level 60 yet, but i can tell you that the leaders text chat is hard to keep up with when hexes are changing by the second and giant enemy mulit-platoons are running around which are run by enemy outfits using teamspeak(PSST: many would use those 3rd party things and forget about command chat- and that is what we DO NOT WANT< because it further hurts the optiosn the game provides right when they are right now working on improving chats)

-we would have less leaders- as leading does not pay certs, and the only reason to do it, is if you care about teamwork(veyr few still do now), -

So, don't hurt those of us who do it for fun, and try to make everything respectful- in your proposals to improve it
  12. Hibiki54

You must be talking about Archcraig and EXE/HMRD. We all know.

This is the thing. People only get Command Comm Channel cert just to get /orders. People also abuse /orders to advertise their outfit, their stream or to troll a previously sent order. Or to just troll period. It happens on ALL factions and on ALL servers. If you think spending 1360 certs for this is too high, think again. I was just being generous as a suggestion.

I would actually have it WITHOUT a level requirement, but cost the following:

Rank 1 -- 10 Certs -- As stated in OP post
    Rank 2 -- 150 Certs -- As stated in OP post
    Rank 3 -- 500 Certs -- As stated in OP post
    Rank 4 -- 1000 Certs -- You will get Leader chat tab and /orders
    Rank 5 -- 2000 Certs -- You get Command Comm access and other CR5 benefits TBD

Command Rank 5 Total of 3660 Certs.

Now, ask yourself this -- Would you spend 1000 Certs just to get /orders?

As for 10 certs to get squad leader options, if you want to lead, you should spend the certs. Even a non-member non-boost player can make 10 certs within 5 mins of being in a fight.
  13. Hibiki54

That is the idea. If anyone is serious about leading a squad, even if its to just group together and keep track of on another, you're spending certs to get this access.

With my suggestion, it allows people who purchase Command Comms to get the refund that they always wanted. And anyone who wants to be true "try hards" can put the effort and spend the certs on the tools that they want.
  14. CEGrif

not arch the other 1
  15. Hibiki54

Zim?
  16. CEGrif

nope. its Nalls
    • Up x 2
  17. Leftconsin

*nods quietly*
  18. thepyrosdarknes

We have the same problem on Matterson NC. a certain person gets on and uses orders, which everyone in our faction sees, to be incredibly rude to everyone that plays NC. I think that an in-game ability to ignore certain players orders, yell, etc. would be a great boon to us all. It would make things like command chat much easier to use because the game would act like they don't exist.
    In general the ability to ignore people or even chats and have the game act they don't exist would great. Currently when I mute someone and they speak, I still get the noise reduction penalty, and since I rely heavily on sound when I play it really hurts.
  19. JoeSMokes

Yeah... HMRD only abuses yell chat at the VS and NC warp gates. I've never heard Arch cause any problems on Command. Y'all got nothing to worry about. We're professionals.
  20. Foxirus

I tend to report people who do this under misuse of chat services.