Rocket Launcher Primary needs to go

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Clay, May 12, 2014.

1. Ozade

Give RLs an arm time like UBGL / Make them ADS only / Or both. Problem solved.
  2. Posse

How would you set it for that to happen without increasing splash damage then?
  3. Waffle Fartsparkle

That would be a question for a developer.
  4. z1967

WHY WOULD THEY REMOVE THAT?
  5. EvilKoala

Because high skill games are never popular by todays standards. The glory days of the competitive arena shooter are long gone. Welcome to the age when "everyone is a winner!"
  6. z1967

Ah, I wanted to be the rocket jumping heavy. Add a shovel and some TF2 taunts and I would be set for the best gameplay ever!
  7. Snoozzzer

After recently trying out Call of Duty and Medal of Honor multiplayer, I've got to say... everyone ******** about being one-shotted is a goddamn *****. And not the kinds of puddy cat that are fun. The TTK in this game is super high. **** you goddamn damn whiners who complain about being one shotted

p.s. Super kudos on the OP's trolling. I'm not sure how many people actually caught on to that

p.p.s I always enjoy the forum censorship
  8. vincent-

What a sad lot you all are in this thread. "I don't like dying." Seems to be the actual topic here.
    • Up x 4
  9. Krayus_Korianis

It's true for those who are whining. They're complaining about a rocket (same thing as a Dalton, Grenade Launcher (the kind on vehicles) and such), killing infantry. I mean, it must be impossible in today's standard to think that an explosive and often incendiary device could wipe out a lot of people in a clusterduck.
  10. DxAdder

All RL's are suppose to be used vs Armor, the argument that the Phoenix is Armor only is invalid.

What about the Lancer ? Its ESRL but still its primary purpose is AV it it too was also balanced vs AI.

The Striker IF it could be hip fired would have gotten the same treatment.

And All MAX AV weapons, more than once have been balanced vs Infantry.

I would have no problem if they were all treated the same way BUT pick ONE.
  11. Drippyskippy

First of all when your trying to make a point in a debate you don't say 2 conflicting things. You say rockets aren't good at range, but then in another post you say they a quite usable at range against engineer turrets. So which is it?

Next point. I'm assuming by CQB you meant Close Quarters Combat (CQC). Did you not watch Mustarde's video? What game are you playing? Rockets not good in CQC against infantry, that is a hilarious statement there. I didn't realize I was debating with a person who is playing PS1, maybe that is where i'm confused. The only situation that you listed that I would agree with that rocket launchers aren't very good at is at long range against moving targets, but even then you can still get "sniped" by good players (don't get me wrong, rocket primary is easy in CQC, does take some skill/luck at long ranges).
  12. Drippyskippy

Well please give me a link to a post that argues why rocket launchers should be effective at both killing infantry, vehicles and usable in many different situations and ranges. All wrapped up in an argument on why it is balanced. I have not seen any.

Most encounters with a rocket primary player, you have less than a second to react. Most encounters are within 30ish meters. I'm not talking about people sniping with rockets here.

It's a step in the right direction. The problem I see with this is, it is a blanket approach that nerfs all rocket launchers and is an indirect buff to vehicles. I think a more direct solution in dealing specifically with rockets against infantry would be better. I think rocket launchers are in a fine state against vehicles, so why mess with that?
  13. TheShrapnelKing

What I meant was rockets have a range advantage over frags and have direct-fire capabilities which frags don't have. At longer ranges you can't anything reliably with them because they're easy to dodge. Dumbfires are only good at medium range.

If you miss, you're a dead man. If you somehow manage to never miss and always OHK them with your launcher, and never get caught by multiple people, or while you're reloading, then yeah it's good in CQB. Also at close range it's blasts will start to hurt you too.
  14. Posse

Yes... and no. In reality, the large majority don't dodge the rocket for some reason, but of course that's their fault, not the rocket's :p
  15. BoomBoom4You

Get rocket primary-ied more, you joke n00bz
  16. Drippyskippy

If they shoot and miss, no they are not dead if they know how to use cover and position their character appropriately. Shotguns are an entirely different topic, but I see the similarities. Shotguns have been discussed to death and they were nerfed. Shotguns are still not a very fun tool in the game, but at least their OHK effectiveness has been reduced from their original iteration. Which brings me to my versatility argument yet again...Shotguns cannot kill tanks, where as rocket launchers can. Balanced? Typically you have no more than a second to dodge rockets within their most used ranges. Are your reactions that good? How do you dodge something that you don't see? A lot of stuff happens in PS2 in big fights, you can't notice everything.

You're confused, people that are pro rocket primary are the people who don't think it needs nerfed. I'm anti rocket primary against infantry and there are others in this thread who agree with me. Don't try to make me look like i'm all by myself here.

I outplay people all the time. I'm the type of person who wants to be outplayed, who wants his enemy to earn their kills. Not use some cheesy easy to use weapon that one shot infantry.

People are entitled to their opinions that is fine. However, I make people reinforce their opinions with solid arguments/points and pick apart people who have weak arguments/points. Why the call now. That is a good question. Mainly because there were much larger issues in the game that needed addressed first. As the larger issues get fixed, the smaller issues come to the forefront and people start realizing that the smaller issues become bigger. Its the flavor of the month problem. People like to use overpowered weapons to increase their K/D or to feel more powerful. When the devs get around to nerfing those things, they find the next overpowered thing and use it. Rocket launchers against infantry is the next up on the chopping block.

This isn't about my overall deaths, this is about balanced gameplay and making your opponent kill you through skill. Headshots take skill, so if you die to someone who has good aim then they deserved the kill. A guy with a rocket launcher who can point and click and one shot you...not so much.

I would tell the player that their opponent outplayed them through the use of skill, accuracy and knowing how to counter act recoil (automatic weapon) or killed you because he sniped you in the head and has practiced enough that he knows how to counter act bullet drop at long distances. All of these things take skill and practice. Using rockets against infantry in close ranges takes very little of both.
  17. Drippyskippy

*facepalm*

How could you be in this discussion for this long and still bring this up? I just made another post that counters this argument...i'll copy pasta it. Its the same argument that we have made numerous times now.

I'm tired of this high risk vs high reward argument that I/we have broken so many times. If you know how to position yourself correctly via using cover (hard right?) there is very little to no risk involved in using rockets in close quarters. Strafe in a doorway, shoot rocket, strafe out of the doorway and either reload or switch to your LMG. There is risk if you don't know how to use cover effectively, or if you are in the middle of trying to kill a max/tank and an infantry player jumps you. So, yes if you're bad it is high risk, if you have common sense it isn't high risk. Also, as stated where is the risk if you meet a guy in melee range and rocket him, he dies and you don't. Risk? Now if using a rocket launcher and hitting a guy at point blank range would kill both players, then I would give your high risk vs high reward another point, but it doesn't.
  18. Mustarde

I think I had plenty of successful CQC rockets :) Including one right into Vindicore's back
  19. Posse

I was talking about longer range kills
  20. Snoozzzer

Can we at least buff frag grenades? You know, infantry only weapons that are meant to be good only against infantry? Can we all agree on that simple thing?

#hatersgonnahate
    • Up x 2