Prowler with vulcan or halberd??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lymark, May 11, 2014.

1. Lymark

I'm currently using AP on my main gun and prefer long range shooting as my playstyle. I know Halberd would be the best for long range, but I'm also thinking about vulcan for close range in some situation as well as minor anti air support..

What do you guys think ? And which weapon do you guys often get the most kills and points???
  2. Dead soldier

Halberd if you have good situational awareness. Vulcan is good for tanks try to flank you if you didn't see the coming.

I'd say Halberd.
    • Up x 1
  3. Lymark

Situational awareness..Hmm didnt think of that, why is it a concern when using Halberd ???

I was just on someone's prowler with a thermal Halberd. It was a very good AI weapon as well coz I mostly 1 shot killed infantry.
    But I'm also very impressed with how much damage would a Vuclan deals on a tank with only 1 mag.
  4. EvilKoala

Halberd, without question.

I have the Vulcan, Marauder, and Kobalt unlocked for my Prowler.. and what do I use? The Basilisk. Should have got the Halberd before they jacked up the price..
    • Up x 2
  5. lothbrook

If you run stealth i'd go with the vulcan, getting in close and getting rear shots prowlers kill other MBT with a single volley and half a vulcan mag, so if you're sneaking up on 2 you have a much better chance of killing them both, plus theres no point in running stealth if you're not going to be getting close to other tanks, but if you're going for long range the halberd is obviously the right choice.
  6. Dead soldier

Say a vanguard is flanking you in CQ. If you had situational awareness that wouldn't happen and you'd always engage your targets in long range. But, if u didn't notice the vanguard nearby, the vulcan will completely destroy the vanguard.
  7. Lymark

Gotcha, thx guys! I think i will go for Halberd.
  8. iccle

I run both with AP main gun, vulcan i use if there are lots of low flying aircraft. If you are serious about AP/Anti armor then the vulcan has a much faster TTK than the halberd and eats aircraft (if it can reach) but you will have to expose yourself to attack more often to get the best out of it.
  9. XXBLACKATTACKXX

halberd

just halberd
    • Up x 2
  10. EliteEskimo

I'm a Front lines Prowler Tanker with over 400 hours in the Prowler with both the Halberd and the Vulcan certed. You should never use the Vulcan unless you're planning on only getting in tank fights within an AMP Station courtyard. The Vulcan is utter garbage right now, don't waste your certs on the Vulcan as the Halberd is better for almost every imaginable practical scenario.

Even Stealth/Flanking roles the Halberd is better for Alpha Strike and because you can flank tanks without having to get extremely close and then having to worry about a long distance to escape if things go bad. In addition you won't have to get extremely close to enemy lines and your target's allies like you would with the Vulcan.

Go Halberd or go home. You can thank me later:cool:
    • Up x 2
  11. Tommyp2006

If you run lockdown, Halberd. Only every halberd. I will smack you if I ever see you locked down with a Vulcan.
  12. Ransurian

Lockdown is far too useful to pass up, and it actually synergizes very well with stealth. Fire Suppression really tends to be rather underwhelming when it's needed. Lockdown can get you killed if you aren't careful, but it's unbelievably devastating when fully certed alongside rank 5 reload speed.

At any rate, even if you'd want to use Fire Suppression for whatever reason for an aggressive play style, the Halberd's versatility is leaps and bounds better than the Vulcan's for medium / long-range AV and AI duty. The Vulcan's TTK and killing potential in general at mid-range or even mid-close-ish range isn't actually much better (and is often far worse) than the Halberd's when factoring in the value of alpha damage, the fact that vehicles aren't always fully or ideally exposed (which is an inherent problem with the Vulcan's nasty CoF bloom), and the Vulcan's ridiculous damage fall-off. Really, the Halberd is a very strong, versatile weapon, and there's no reason not to pull it over the Vulcan. It excels at all ranges.

Oh, and there's of course the understated fact that the Halberd synergizes well with vehicle stealth. The Vulcan, by contrast, creates a minimap profile for enemy radar until it stops firing, has a very loud, distinctive, and prolonged sound, and of course it's accompanied by conspicuous red tracers. Not cool when you're trying to get in, hit hard, and get out while attracting as little attention as possible during a flank.

Here's the bottom line. Seriously -- the Vulcan usually performs and feels like a wet noodle past ~70 meters, is nearly useless against infantry, suffers badly from numerous problems inherently related to its CoF and complete lack of alpha damage potential, and doesn't synergize at all with vehicle stealth, which you should be using as a general-purpose defense slot option against lock-ons, aircraft, and unwanted attention in general.

It can't be reiterated enough. Don't waste your certs or shekels on it. You'll regret it. It was bad before its nerf on Prowlers, and it's even worse now.
    • Up x 3
  13. LibertyRevolution

You should use a halberd.
    I use a vulcan, as my tanks are used only to rush at tanks/sunderers and unload a crap ton of DPS then jump out and C4 them...
    If you don't care about your tank, and your going to just rush in full speed.. vulcan rips up armor at 5m, lulz.
  14. Takoita

Halberd or Basilisk. Everything else is mostly useless.
  15. Frozen-K

You should do what I do and torture yourself for hours testing the vulcan! I found it an educational experience.
  16. Bortasz

Halbeard - For longer bombardment.
    Vulcan - For stormtank. Add mineguard ore stealtch. First to ignore Tank mines, second to sneak up on them.
  17. Mystogan

I am nowhere Prowler driver but I am Vanguard driver and I am fighting Prowlers a lot. So I can tell you from my experience:
    1. You want Halberd
    2. You want Halberd
    3. If you sneak on your enemy's rear you and get a shots on it, it doest matter what you have- the fight is done, unless enemy is great driver and run away, enemy air will help him or there is another tank around him.

Prowler with Anochor and Halberd are my "nope" enemies that I dont engade on long range, unless I have grea position to get to cover, shot, cover, shot and so on. I have to get close to them or sneak on them. Prowler with Halberd is MUCH MUCH more verstile.

Vulcan- I met couple a AP/Vulcan prowlers- if they sneak on my rear- well, I am dead but same is with halberd/Basilisk/magrider/vanguard- whatever. So "rear" argument is invaild. Also you dont want to charge close on my Vanguard. If you wont anchor- I will just kill you, if you will anchor (and you have to be close for Vulcan) I will just go for your rear with my shield up and kill you.

With prowler- you dont want to be close to vanguards, I dont know what about swagriders. Your main strength is anchor mode- you can use it close, but if Magrider/Vanguard driver is good, they will just go for your rear, doubling their TTK on you.

Also- chasing. We all know that while chasing enemy tank trough hard terrain (90% of terraing in PS2) you cant shot accurate from your primary cannon, unless you are magrider. BUT your gunner can. With Halberd you can chase and kill your enemy if gunner is good, becasue secondary gun is much more stable.

With Vulcan your dmg past 20 m is pathethic and chasing is much harder and it is much more likely that enemy will get to cover or to his allies.

Vulcan is fun to use and killing with it is very nice, but in any serious tank vs tank scenarios- I would get Halberd.

After last nerf the only ES secondary that I would get over Halberd is Saron for AV work. Which is shame but SOE want us all with Halberds so....
  18. Slandebande

If you get flanked by a Vanguard in a Prowler, a Vulcan won't save you :p The only thing that will save you is if the Vanguard crew is vastly inferior to yourself :p

I usually find that using the Vulcan attracts more attention from aircraft than it is usable for dettering them :p The sound has most likely instilled traumas in some pilots (and experienced pilots will see it as an easy kill anyways). I can see if you prefer to sit in the middle of the friendly zerg, it can help as it can contribute along with the other random AA, but if you aren't grouped up with all your allies, I prefer to lay low, instead of having a Vulcan :p And the Halberd is pretty fine for AA duties, assuming your main cannon can hit once as well. You have 3 shots in total, with 2 of them needed to hit for a KO (it is possible, albeit much harder then for a Vanguard) :p

I still miss my old 42round magazine Vulcan :(
  19. iccle

If you get flanked by a vanguard, or mag for that matter (I assume you mean attacked in the weak spot) the halberd will not save you either since you will be at around 50% health by the time you turn round and begin firing.

My preferred loadout fits with my playstyle, I'm medium/close range, fast in, do the job, fast out, the vulcan rips through armor at close range like the halberd never will to the extent that I will happily engage vanguards if I have the vulcan on top, I use my greater speed and acceleration + stealth to my full advantage, that said if you find yourself attacking more at medium/long range then sure halberd is your ideal partner. I also find that the vulcan dissuades low flying libs (ie trying to tankbuster me) considerably better than the halberd, but maybe that is just me (and my gunner).
  20. Slandebande

Aye, the part about being flanked was a response to someone else, who wrote:
    "Say a vanguard is flanking you in CQ. If you had situational awareness that wouldn't happen and you'd always engage your targets in long range. But, if u didn't notice the vanguard nearby, the vulcan will completely destroy the vanguard."

The Libs being dissuaded should really just gain some altitude and none of our effective weaponry can touch them (by effective, I don't mean the Walker/Ranger/Basilisk).

I will also use the Vulcan every now and then, but it is very situation-dependent. For instance, it only works semi-reliably in certain terrain with ample cover to disguise your approach. I will also hesitate to pull it if I have noticed some of the top-tier crews around, as they are much more risky to engage with the Vulcan. I find it hard to give up your medium-to-long range utility for being better in CQC, as that specific utility is something that comes in play often, at least in my experience.