My beef with anti-tank mines!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Corezer, May 10, 2014.

1. Corezer

ARE THEY MINES OR TIME BOMBS JEEBUS!
    • Up x 2
  2. FaLI3N

They have arming times.
    • Up x 2
  3. Slandebande

Aye the tank mines have been given arming times, to prevent them from being used in exactly that way. If you want explosives to work like that on the go, and at a moments notice, you use C4 (or you have to be ready to manually detonate the Tank Mines). Prior to the change, more people would use Tank Mines than C4 against tanks, simply because they exploded to damn quickly. I personally like the change, and I still think Tank Mines have their use.
  4. Spadar

As others said the mines have an arming time. To elaborate they have to be stationary and in contact with the ground for a few seconds (with no enemy vehicles in their detonation radius) before they'll detonate. Otherwise you could do stuff like this:

The main reason they did it was an attempt at stopping engineers from suicide rushing Sunderers with tank mines. Though in practice it's not hard to throw the mines down, followed by a grenade, or to just use C4. Kamikaze wraith flashes with a fury and C4 on the nose are far more effective than tank mine engineers ever were, just less resource efficient.
  5. Frozen-K

Only real problem with tank mines now is most ground vehicles have no way to detect them unless they're driving slow with their eyes to the ground. They don't really pop up on scopes anymore or radar unless spotted.

Considering 150 resources can potentially destroy 450 resources worth of vehicles, a scope or addition to proxy radar would help this some.
  6. Anndgrim

That's the point.

And seriously, stop doing that stupid *** resources math. You can't possibly compare tanks and tank mines in effectiveness. The mere fact that mines can take out one tank doesn't put them on the "power level" of a tank.
    You can't pull a tank mine and go around the map with it killing 20 people and repairing it each time it takes a ding. You can't use a tank mine at sniper range, you can't move at 50 km/h with it. Same does for C4.
    It takes 2 tank mines to take out one non mine-guarded tank, except once the mines are planted, you can't pick them up, tanks can happen to just not drive over them or even more likely they can just be lost to the ridiculous amount of splash that goes in your average battle.
    • Up x 7
  7. Frozen-K

Ground. Vehicles. Not just tanks, ground. Vehicles. Mines have a POTENTIAL to deal that much damage. They are extremely cost effective for the few counters there are out there. And FYI, I LIKE mines being deadly to vehicles, BUT we only have one defensive measure against them that only works on mines and absolutely nothing else, thus there's no reason to even run it.

I am not asking for them to nerf mines back to their previous, massive pancake size where no one ever died to them again, but asking for a measure such as IR/NV or thermal scopes highlighting them within 10-15 meters of them, or adding an addition to proxy radar that picks up mines within 10-15m of the tank. Not much to ask for, is it? Plus it gives you PERKS for using those tools.
  8. lothbrook

Last i heard theres a explosive detection implant that is going to work in vehicles, but mineguard should be changed to an Urban survival loadout where it also protects the rear of the tank from infantry AV weapons so that its like hitting the side of the tank. I honestly think only AP and tank cannons should get rear armor bonus damage, not that it really matter because neither suggestion will ever happen.
  9. Flag

... So for players with at least half a brain, nothing changed with regards to sunderer hunting.

m(o__o)m

Nice to see things aren't changing much in my hiatus.
  10. NoctD

The only problem I have with tank mines is that they blow up now when placed in front of vehicle pads... seriously, if people are too dumb to check before they spawn a vehicle, why are we babying them?
    • Up x 1
  11. Waffle Fartsparkle

I think top armor should be renamed and armor up both the top and the bottom to protect against mines

This'll actually give people a reason to run top armor instead of just using it for the only situation of battlegals and liberators, which could actually be countered by running racer chassis anyway.
  12. HellasVagabond

Damn, some people have way too much free time in their hands to figure out this use for mines.......
  13. MajiinBuu

Place mines a few meters from the pad, not directly on them :rolleyes:
  14. Corezer

I get that they have arming times, but at around 12 seconds I feel it's a might bit too long. There shouldn't be nothing you can do against Frisbees but there should be nothing dribbling mouth breathers can do (not that this tank driver did anything, but that's the point, he didn't have to)

C4 don't instant pop either, takes like 6 seconds to get off one (which wont destroy anything)

I also have never seen a reason for minegaurd. Should be removed and tanks buffed. 3 for an MBT and 4 for a sundy, so now you actually need more than one person to get the mines out. They should also be more visible on thermal and NV scopes, or something where a player makes an active decision to protect themselves from mines should be rewarded (as opposed to the more casual just set and forget minegaurd)

whatever the case, I don't think the proper solution to mines should be "put ur tank on them and roll around a bit, they don't actually explode."

Also, I think that video was pretty cool, it took a lot of trial and error to figure out the right speed and distance, and I don't think it is something that will be learned by enough, and employable often enough, to upset the balance of the game overall, so what's the big deal?
  15. NoctD

How many meters is a few - I didn't put it directly in front of them. :rolleyes:
  16. MajiinBuu

Between 5 and 10 meters. When vehicles spawn they automatically move forward about 20 meters, they'll hit the mines whether they see them or not, it's too late
    • Up x 1
  17. NoctD

Will try it again - guess I wasn't far enough away. Thanks.
    • Up x 1
  18. Frozen-K

It's one of the reason I inspect the road in front of vehicle pads whenever I pull a vehicle now. I'll drop mines in front of vehicle pads in contested bases, and often score kills. I assume someone caught on to what I was doing and did it too before the base changed hands. 99% of the time they don't, but it never hurts to be safe when you're pulling a 450 resource vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  19. FaLI3N

It happened to me once... once. Never again :p I always check beforehand and I absolutely love throwing them down in front of vehicle spawns if I am doing stealth AV work nearby as a gunner and don't want a new threat to pop outta nowhere to kill me. I always keep them on me if I am driving though, nothing quite like baiting a pursuing tank into mines.
  20. Dethfield

Congrats, you just discovered the basic idea of every IED ever detonated in the recent wars in the middle east.