Air game improvement: Cloud Cover

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MXXVI, May 9, 2014.

1. MXXVI

Title says it all. I love flying. Any time I think air support might possibly help a battle, I leap into my mozzy. But most of the time, there's simply no way to get into a good air battle without being interrupted by flak and G2A missile locks. It's constant. And due to the basic nature of the engine, most of the time you will be spotted by ground targets long before they've even rendered on your end.

So it would be nice, I think, if that damn invisible ceiling was raised somewhat, and there was a thin layer of cloud cover like in the old days of Terminal Velocity. Add a bit of fog at a certain altitude, so you could actually hide in it. Doesn't need to be constant; the game already has (under-used) weather effects. There could be clear days. And to compensate for the possibility of high-altitude bombardment from blind-firing libs, you could tweak the weapon accuracy until long-range hits become incredibly unlikely.

But can you imagine how liberating it would be?

As an addendum, it would be nice if they added some slightly different physics for high-altitude flying like this. For example, it'd be a cool twist if flying higher meant reduced hover stability, but increased top speeds; the lower you go, the inverse would be true. This would also serve to balance libs; above cloud cover, the libs couldn't actually hold position. And instead of a solid barrier high up, there could be a point at which overall engine performance keeps dropping until you stall, resulting in several seconds of free-fall (which could also be used in dogfights as an evasive trick).
    • Up x 1
  2. \m/SLAYER\m/

its pilots fault, that they trolled infantry and they got phobia. fly on Esamir - it has 900 top
  3. Tommyp2006

That would be much better than when you currently hit the ceiling and get stuck in place for a full second, and become dalton bait.
  4. Mostadio

Even as a rabid flak user, I would love to see extra elements of the A2G/G2A game added. Cloud cover and a higher flight ceiling could open up the game to high altitude bombers/interceptors. New weapons would be needed to counter new threats.
  5. Gleerok

Fly in Amerish/Esamir. Indar is botched in almost every sense for Air Play, some parts you can only go as high as 400m. You are pretty much vulnerable to Flak on the whole continent, no matter how far up you engage your enemies.
  6. Volccis

Air game improvement: Remove Scythes, All lock-on missiles, Air roof or increase it to 2km-3km, Coyotes.
  7. Pikachu

Indar south west have an altitude of 400m so there is only 600m air game. It's the highest average in the game. Amerish is the most lowest average, giving it the most fly room.
  8. Gleerok

You must know that 600m for air is almost nothing. Flying at 800m as starting point for aerial battles already feels close enough to the ground, when you rapidly go down and up from 800 to ~600~500 and is greeted by lock ons and flak from the zerg down there...

Now imagine, 600m of airspace. Its almost like kissing the ground.