Another problem with coyote missiles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GaBeRock, May 3, 2014.

1. GaBeRock

Coyotes encourage people to spend smedbucks, and rely overmuch on a crutch. Instead, coyotes should be that high-burst damage weapon with low sustained damage to give new pilots an edge against older pilots, but still force them to use a nosegun.
    Then what about rotary/ab players? They give up even more of their versatility than coyotes (since coyotes have a duel ground attack role) but still get dominated by coyotes' higher consistent dps. Plus, coyotes are good enough that people just run AI nosegun/coyotes, since they can just spam coyotes all day without needing to switch to nosegun anyways. Isn't this unfair to hornet/aa nosegun players, since they're only good at killing air and heavy vehicles, while coyotes/ai nosegun can kill anything?
  2. Ubad00d

Wait, so what you're saying is that they're not OP because when a mediocre pilot uses the, an ace can kill them? (Ignoring the fact that I borderline disagree with that anyway) If 2 equally skilled pilots come face to face, the coyotes one will always win, doesn't that make them OP? Or a slightly less skilled pilot (with coyotes) will always kill someone who is slightly more skilled than them (AB tanks).
  3. Ubad00d

The point is, (no point in mentioning lolpods, and most people don't use rotaries, we know that lolpods + rotary should get smashed by AB), coyotes will, in 90% of situations kill a pilot with AB tanks. They don't require much aiming to use.

Let's pretend that none of this air politics existed and there was no huge skill gap in the air game, I think we would all agree that coyotes need nerfing - as generally it's agreed they're OP. That's one issue which I think is already sorted, we all know that coyotes are OP.

The additional arguments (which more people are talking about), is how coyotes factor in to the PS2 air game due to the current problems which already exist. IMO, before we start arguing whether coyotes are good for the air game or not, we should first establish that they are OP.
  4. TheBlazing

I will admit that they do a bit too much damage for their fire rate. I sometimes use them myself (I still prefer rocket pods so I can do A2G just in case), and I have noticed that to unload a salvo it takes less than a second. I would try lowering their fire rate and maybe lock-on range (the latter only by a small amount though), so that unloading a salvo takes about 2.5 seconds of staying on target. Alternatively, they alpha damage could be kept but the reload time could be made much longer (6 seconds?), so that while they will still provide a good edge at the start of a fight, they won't be as reliable as your nosegun for sustained damage and they will not be able to replace the nosegun when used as AI+Coyotes combo.

However, I still think that they should give a noticeable advantage against ESF over taking something else. See it this way: AB tanks are for newbs (so that they can more easily escape) and people who prefer speed over firepower (and can use that speed well - AI strafing runs come to mind), lolpods/Hornets are for A2G, A2AMs are for long-range/Liberators, Coyotes are for ESFs. So if someone takes Coyotes, he should have a straight advantage when fighting another ESF that does not have them equipped, although I will agree that right now they do give a too large advantage in relation to how easy they are to use and how fast they can be unloaded on the target.
  5. GEWJANA

just leave.
    • Up x 1
  6. IamnotAmazing

That's where you're wrong
    lockons missiles are never the higher skill option, they are meant for newer pilots so they don't get totally owned. The tipping point is when good pilots start to use these weapon to own the people they are supposed to be helping, which is currently happening

also if you think ab pods are for running away you clearly don't know what you're talking about
  7. Hader

And you clearly forgot how to have perspective, or see other interpretations of that statement. Fuel tanks can and always have been a tools for escaping fights, the predominant reason for running them may not be that, but it's still there. Especially for a newer pilot, that might be what they view it as - a good escape tool.
    • Up x 1
  8. IamnotAmazing

alright, it's an escape tool, but that's not really the point, it's there, cool, meh.
    • Up x 1
  9. Volccis

Elitists gonna hate ;)

I dont really care as long as those good pilots wont start to use them. Currently its not like that so everything is fine. I dont myself use them unless I feel dirty. If those some pilots never else would fly but with Coyotes then I dont see any problems with that because even nowdays the majority of my ESF kills come from medicore pilots. If they all leave I can uninstall Planetside 2.
    And I dont mean that I dont like to engage very good pilots, actually I engage them very likely and I like to hunt them. But sometimes there isnt any good pilots online and then I have to kill those other pilots and when there isnt any aircrafts in the air I logout. I dont just like the ground gameplay.

Understand or not. I dont know whats the situation on US servers but at least on Miller its not that bad. Actually yesterday I wanted to find some Coyote users but rarely found any after 2 hours and when I did they didnt spam them but used nose gun aswell.

To me OP means something extremely powerful. Like A2A missiles were with the bug. The bug which allowed you to fire second missile instantly and it was so freaking dirty bug that I completely dominated any pilot I faced. It was OP.

Coyote Missiles are good sure and it could be a problem if every pilot would use them. Maybe thats the case on US servers, I dont know.
  10. GaBeRock

To be fair, the only side I really see using lockons is vs on mattherson (NC's QRY seems to keep its members from using them) but that doesn't make them any less unfun in 1 to 1 duels.
  11. Ibuprofen

You are obviously correct that flight in PS2 is nothing like flight in real life, and that dude was silly to say that, but I do have to agree with him that I like the way the Dogfighting 3 airframe feels a lot better than the Hover 3 airframe, and I think it's related to the fact that the flight model is essentially that of a zero-G atmosphere. What I like about the Dogfighting airframe is that it feels like I can move more laterally, because being able to turn sharper means that I can effectively have a larger angle between the vector of my current momentum and the vector of my current acceleration. I don't claim to be a really good (PS2) pilot or anything, I just really enjoy spazzing out and doing all sorts of superfluous acrobatics, especially when I end up winning a duel where I had basically just committed to screwing around.