When air disrespects AA turrets

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DJPenguin, May 6, 2014.

1. Niller

So an AV wall turrets should not be able to kill a haresser?
    • Up x 5
  2. JesusVoxel

Yeah, there is something wrong in the game when air doesn't even care about AA, until the base turns into AA-spamfest. After that any sane pilot is far away farming other bases.
    • Up x 3
  3. Paisty

With your logic sunderers should be immune to everything but full platoons........
    • Up x 4
  4. ColonelChingles

Seriously... the stats for the AA Phalanx Turrets are really sad. They have a 9.9 average vehicle KPH. The average KDR is about 3.

The Liberators on the other hand have an AVKPH of 15.5 to 16.4 for the Shredder and the Dalton. The AKDRs are 8.9 and 8.54, almost triple the AA Phalanx Turret.

ESF rocketpods are even better than the AA Phalanx Turrets. The Mosquito's Hellfires have an AVKPH of 15.3 and an AKDR of 7.7.

I think what happens when pilots complain about the AA Phalanx Turrets is that they remember the few times when they get blown up by them at range... and completely forget the numerous times when they TB an AA Turret to death.

I mean in terms of cause of deaths, AA Phalanx Turrets don't do very well against aircraft at all. Against Liberators, the best-performing faction's AA Turret accounts for 1.05% of Liberator deaths (2.73% if you add up all three). Against ESFs, the best-performing faction's AA Turret accounts for 1.42% of ESF deaths (3.78% if you add up all three). For comparison purposes, a Liberator is more likely to die to a MBT's AP turret (2.89% if you add up all three) than an AA Phalanx Turret. And an ESF is more likely to be shot down by an infantry SAM (3.9% if you add up the faction-specific ones) than an AA Phalanx Turret.

Really, if these AA Turrets were so deadly against air and infinitely repairable, you'd at least think they'd be slightly more dangerous. But they never make it to the top 10 causes of death. :confused:
    • Up x 9
  5. MrJengles

Nice numbers ColonelChingles.

Buffing base turrets would be a nice way of narrowing the gap between AA effectiveness in large scale fights vs small scale fights (since they'd make up a larger portion of the kills in the latter).

People should feel like they ought to man the AA turrets before they start pulling individual lock-ons.

I wouldn't mind a buff.
    • Up x 3
  6. Fenrisk

Please explain why Libs can kill a lightening in 5 seconds but it takes OVER 2 full clips of skyguard (30+ seconds for a dedicated AA gun that's USELESS against anything but air) to even get a Lib smoking?

Please explain why Libs are tougher against AA then Tanks are against AP while Libs get stronger weapons across the board?

If the Lib was a 3 man tank it would of been nerfed into the ground by now. Just like the harasser was and that was far less powerful then a LIb even with a 3 man crew. So that 3 man crew BS doesn't cut it.
    • Up x 2
  7. DQCraze

I see a lot of air hate, almost as much as the harasser hate back in the day. Nerf air give us our harassers back, can I get a woo wooo.
  8. Gammit

If they use a stationary and permanently fixed-position weapon created solely to destroy that vehicle, yes, it should.
    • Up x 3
  9. Mrasap

I'm not afraid of AT turrets with my lightning AP. It takes a while for the turret to find my location due to stealth. Even if he finds me and instantly starts landing hits on me I can just roll behind cover and repair.

As an infil my overall experience with hacking AT turrets is that experienced MBT's can just tank my damage even if I engage first.
  10. IamDH

He creeped up on you and ran away then hit fire suppression. If you saw him coming from the start this would never have happened
  11. Gundem

As an experienced Liberator pilot, I can say, we never die to AA Phalanx Turrets because we don't go near them :confused:

No, really, when an Amp Station has 5 AA turrets up, you think were going go anywhere near that?

Really, it comes from Liberators being opportunists. Barging in is a death sentence, so we wait till the AA Turret is distracted, or is damaged, or is empty, and then we swoop in and take them out.

Also, comparing the AA Turret KPH to Liberator KPH is just silly. An Air Deterrent, supposed to get equal or more kills then a heavy three man gunship? :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  12. z1967

Due to a damage resist bug the Skyguard can one clip Phalanx turrets. Still takes quite awhile to do it (because of the low rpm) but it is still possible. Nobody ever does it in open battle either because they don't know of the bug or they get killed before they can get close enough for the stupidly large COF to actually allow them to hit the target consistently. Only really works against single or unmanned turrets, otherwise you might as well just run up and C4 each one.

Not really related to the discussion but just an interesting little factoid I found and put to the test awhile ago. Has been around for quite awhile so I guess it is just not well known.
  13. hostilechild

Need to put flak back to doing both Direct and (aoe explosive) damage. That alone would resolve some of the issue. COF of aa burster and especially the skyguard is also just stupid. Even the US govt isn't dumb enough to buy that ****** of weapons platforms and they will spend millions on a single toilet seat.

I don't mind they buffed the LIB but you have to unnerf / buff the AA to compensate!! Lib should also lose its Afterburner or have its speed cut in half. Its a flying tank for **** sake, wth does it get an afterburner? MAX flak5 armor should actually work i swear its broke still get 1-2 shotted by lib gunners while they are spinning dogfighting but (must be still direct hitting me at over 150m). Some people are just too good or so they would have us believe.

Reasons AA is rough.
    AA has to not only deal with air spam it has to deal with tank spam, and infantry spam, so its rarely worth pulling. If AA was more resistant to explosive spam it wouldn't be too bad but as it is (flak5 AA max dies faster than my flak5 Heavy to explosions). More effective to just leave than die over and over just to annoy air. (not talking about a lone skyguard or AA burster either) in a 48/48 fight a squad of them can be practically useless as your giving up a lot to "deter air" hell not even deter anymore and are fighting on 3 fronts.
    • Up x 1
  14. Whatupwidat

I do love when lib-farmers bring up the ******** "my lib cost lots of certs and a turret what cost no certs SHOULD NOT be able to kill me"

Well my MBT cost me a LOT of certs, therefore should be immune to AT turrets, surely?
    • Up x 2
  15. quatin1

Let's not pretend resources are actually worth anything. They restock so fast, it's barely a part of the game balance.

AA and AV turrets are both OP and UP. Their range is ridiculous, where you can hit vehicles from 3 hexes away. To compensate, their damage is garbage to the point where you can't out dps anything up close. I think what will appease both parties, is by reducing effective turret range by reducing velocity or adding more arc, but then buff the damage.

Turrets should cause instant death to their counters within their own hex. You are supposed to send in infantry to remove the turrets before assaulting a base. However, you shouldn't be hit by turrets from another base other than the one you're capturing.
    • Up x 2
  16. iccle

Not only that your MBT is triple gated, resources, cooldown and tied to Tech Plant ownership.
    • Up x 1
  17. iccle

For members this is true across the board, for non members its not. For infantry resources are less of an issue, for MBT and the more expensive aircraft resources are definitely a limiting factor.
  18. axiom537

I don't die to AT turrets in my MBT. I sit at range and kill them, then roll up and kill the next one...So on and so on, until they are all dead...If you are dieing to a stationary AT turret, then your are a poor excuse for a vehicle driver...

If it should ever get dicey, then I or my gunner hop out and repair the MBT, while we continue to kill the turret...
  19. Paragon Exile

I must be dreaming when I get in an AA turret and single-handedly stomp the ******** ESF's and liberators that hover in plain sight of my guns.

Granted, I'd like them to be buffed a bit (mostly the spear phalanx), but turrets are far from useless. I rarely, if ever, see aircraft ignoring AA unless they have a massive numbers advantage, which should negate their effectiveness. They almost always haul *** in the opposite direction, or crash into a tree or something.
  20. patricio_z

First protect AA turrets from ground fire...then if needed buff them, they cant kill **** right now because 80% of the time they are a burned out hunk of metal